01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Two prizes to help kick off an exciting 2018

welcome

Let’s get this 2018 party started!

Two games to announce – with prizes!

The launch of the community in 2017 exceeded my expectations in terms of how many members signed up and the amazing number and quality of the posts. THANK YOU!

We will make sure that in 2018 as many Society members as possible hear about this place and get a chance to sign up and also take part. To ensure that they find the friendliest place possible, I would like to invite all of you who have joined already to consider adding a photo – any photo – to your profile.

It does not need to be your face, though I personally find I relate better to accounts where I have a mental image of the person I am speaking to, so I do encourage you to use this if you are willing. However, you can add any image that expresses your personality and helps to visually separate your comments from all others.

One option is to add one that will keep people wondering – like a rorschach test. My favourite of these is @BargainBob’s photo. I always assumed it was a picture of a cat wearing sunglasses, then I discovered other colleagues who thought it was someone wearing a bikini. The truth is … (well, go find out yourself)

PHOTO BOOTH GAME

As a thank you for adding your image and helping the community, I am announcing the first of our wine prize draws.

I will pick a winner at random from a list of ALL community members who have updated their photo / avatar by the 31st of January – full rules are included below. The winner will be sent the two bottles we will taste for our next #twstaste event.

If you want instructions for adding your image, see this How To … article.

STRICTLY COME POSTING

The second prize-draw competition is particularly for all those members who have joined us recently.

All you need to do is post at least 1 reply or new thread before the end of January to be entered into this draw.

I realise that the first post to a new forum can feel a bit intimidating, but I promise you that this is a welcoming and friendly crowd.

I therefore want to reward all of those that have been willing to make that move by having a second prize draw for any member who has either posted for the FIRST TIME between November 1st 2017 and 31st January 2018, OR who has replied to the ‘Introduce Yourself’ thread (again, the full rules are listed below)

This is a small thank you for joining in with the community and for sharing such entertaining and useful content.

Good luck, and thanks!

Prize Draw Rules

Who can enter

Only members of The Wine Society aged 18 or over who are residents of Scotland, England and/or Wales (but excluding Northern Ireland) and who have created a profile on The Society’s Community (at http://community.thewinesociety.com) can enter. This draw is not open to employees or members of the Committee of The Society.

How to enter – Photo Draw
All community members who have updated their profile avatar to include a custom image or gravatar by the closing date will be automatically entered into the draw. Members do not need to call or send any message to confirm their entry.

How to enter – First Post Draw
Any community member who

Either;
posted their first comment (reply or thread) between 1st November, 2017 and January 31st, 2018

Or;
joined at any time before the closing date but has added a comment to the ‘Introduce Yourself’ thread (at Hello! :) Introduce yourself)

by the closing date will be automatically entered into the draw. Only one entry per member will be accepted for this draw even if an individual member qualifies for both these conditions. Members do not need to call or send any message to confirm their entry.

Closing date and draw date
The closing date for profile updates and posting content is midnight (in London) on 31st January 2018. The draw will take place under independent supervision by Friday 9th February, 2018 latest.

Despatch of prizes
The winning member in each of these two draws will receive the two bottles selected for the next #TWSTaste event on this community. Prizes will be dispatched to the members’ normal UK delivery address. The prize for the winner is non-exchangeable, non-transferable and no cash or other alternative is offered.

This draw is promoted by The International Exhibition Co-Operative Wine Society Limited, whose decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.

The Society reserves the right to hold void, cancel, suspend, or amend the promotion where it becomes necessary to do so. The Society accepts no responsibility for entries not successfully completed due to a technical fault of any kind.

The prize draw will be governed by English law and subject to the jurisdiction of the English courts

Congratulations: New Member(s) of the Month

Just for information …

We have almost 500 members already and the percentage with photos is …

I’m not clear, this reads that members who already have a photo must change it for a new one by end of month.

Or does itmean

all members who have uploaded a photo or avatar …?

All members who have changed / added a photo AT ANY TIME before 31st January will be included, so all existing photos count, and any added between now and the end of January

:slight_smile:

This particular prize is for all members, the other one focuses on new members, but existing ones can take part by also introducing themselves in the ‘Introduce Yourself’ thread (if they haven’t already)

Might just be worth looking at GDPR (due May 2018) and PECR to see if you’re acting lawfully and ethically.

Thanks @Silas_Pumpkin. I’m well aware of these and reasonably up-to-date (I hope), but can you explain what you mean in this context? This is only an activity for members who have chosen to sign up (i.e opted in) to the community.

There are, as of today (16/1/18):

Prize 1:

150 members who have added a photo to their profile

Prize 2:

178 members whose first post has been made since the beginning of November OR have posted in the ‘Introduce Yourself’ thread.

In total, since some will have done both, this means that there are 248 members who are eligible for one or other of these prizes at this stage.

If you have not yet posted or added a photo, do make sure you do it before the end of the month!

Final day for the chance to enter these draws!

• If you have not added a photo, go ahead - make your profile stand out!

• If you have yet to post, or to introduce yourself, now is your chance - say hello and meet new friends

good luck

These draws have now closed.

I will make an announcement next week about the winners, but thank you very much to all of you who added photos and who posted welcome messages. It is great to have so many new people taking part, and to be able to have an image of who I’m speaking to.

If you didn’t take part, there may be other events in future, but do consider posting a quick introduction or to add your photo in any case.

I may have missed it, but congratulations to the winners. :roll_eyes: :wink:

my apologies - I am only in the office two days a week (and not always that) and I need to be here to have the ‘official independent witness’ to ensure it is fair … I hope to announce the winners today :slight_smile:

thanks for your patience … and vigilance

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

THE WINNERS ARE CHOSEN

As someone famous once drawled … We’ve deliberated, cogitated and digested and picked two winners of these awards.

Award 1: Photo Booth Game

The prize for having added a photo to their member profile (at any time) goes to …

@wineyg

Many congratulations to you and thanks for helping to brighten the community with your photo (is that a holiday snap?)

Award 2: Strictly Come Posting

The prize for posting for the very first time between November 2017 and January 2018 or taking part in the Hello! :) Introduce yourself thread goes to …

@MattH

Many thanks for your wonderful introduction.

I will be in touch now with the winners to discuss the delivery of your prizes. Congratulations to you and thank you to everyone who took part as these two activities are both helpful in building a fun, inclusive and social community.

Hooray! Excellent news to brighten up the end of a rather grim Tuesday.

Looking forward to trying these two wines as well…

Matt.

Thank you, entirely undeserved. My wife took the pic. It’s on the Canal du Midi in Narbonne 2012.

I really enjoy the posts - great community.