01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Truth or Author's Licence

Reading a fairly recent police procedural, last night I read a line from the lead detective, “wine is a woman’s go-to drink”, which I feel is going to have some bearing on the plot development. I was quite surprised as I would have thought gin rather than wine. Any thoughts?

Categorising women as responding en masse in a particular way is kinda done now.

(Says the middle class, middle aged, entitled, slightly angry, fragile, bought up in a fundamentally racist and sexist society, white man).

12 Likes

Batten down the hatches!!!

3 Likes

The same thought passed through my mind! I truly hope the book in question was published at least back in the '80s.

1 Like

The comedian Al Murray (the pub landlord) used to have a show in the early 2000s called “And a glass of white wine (or other fruit-based drink) for the lady”. Hilariously satirised gender and drinking.

2 Likes

Well, Netflix has been mentioned, so it’s from within the last 20 years or so.
Sexism aside I was surprised by the “observation” as a basis for deductive reasoning. (A wine bottle has been found near the crime scene). It’s just not an observation that would have occurred to me.

1 Like

Me neither. Extraordinary for the present day, I’d have thought!

1 Like

Does that make me a woman?

Doesn’t sound like deductive reasoning to me.

2 Likes

Well, it’s a “free on kindle” novel, so I guess something can be deduced from that!

4 Likes

Well, it’s this woman’s go-to drink, but that’s just anecdotal evidence :grinning:

8 Likes

@Inbar
You didn’t do it, did you?

3 Likes

Oh, not me! I haven’t got the bottle (pun completely intended!) :smiley:

4 Likes

out of interest, what country is the author from?

I think England. It’s set in Essex.

Wonder what a man’s is then?

1 Like

Lager? As opposed to real ale

Not whisk(E)y, wine, hipster craft beer?

1 Like

Interesting…perhaps a straw poll for the community males is in order.

Dunno about all the other guys, but I’m now starting to doubt my self-assigned gender identity

8 Likes

Brighton is the place for you! :wink:

7 Likes