01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Trip to Alsace

Speaking of Mittnacht Frères - I have just discovered one of their cuvees in a local wine shop - the one called Copain-Copines. Am I right in thinking it’s the same as their Gyotaku, just a different name? I have a faint recollection you said something about it, @robertd ?

It is indeed. They were in the process of changing all their labels last time we visited, so maybe they are now just using that name.

https://www.relaisduvigneron.com/studios-appartements-vacances-eguisheim-alsace/

A couple of these apartments might fit the bill? Especially the 3 Chateaux as it has two bedrooms. Depends on the make of your party I guess.

Eguisheim - definitely. It’s been 15 years or so since I last visited, picture postcard gingerbread houses, wonderful restaurants. Ask for a glass of vendange tardive to finish the meal, there is usually a bottle open. You will have a great weekend!

https://www.wolfberger.com/en/

Wolfberger have an enormous range, all for tasting in their showroom. And because you have travelled so far it is worth ‘trading up’ - personally I loved their Pinot Gris (the one in the sandblast bottle - sorry cant remember any details).

Problem with Alsace (if ‘problem’ it is, indeed) - is that virtually every village is picture postcard perfect with gorgeous medieval timbered houses… at least those we visited near Colmar. Colmar itself is hardly a dump. Difficult choices!

What I did love about Eguisheim in particular, however, was the fact that the walled city is made of concentric circles, which is fun to walk - as you always end up somewhere you’ve been. No chance of getting lost, however many PG you drank that morning.

I’m green with envy now! :grin:

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations from me too. I’ve a feeling this thread will have to be revisited when I plan my next holiday !

Wet walnuts, with new season (white) wine, eidelzwicker, still cloudy. Dont turn it down if the opportunity arises. Similarly, snails - the garden variety - not the big one’s you normally get.

And of course, Eau-de-vie. Our (Alsace) friend’s father was a keen home distiller, and made a memorable version infused with evening primrose flowers - which was unsurprisingly very floral.

Edelzwicker is a general term for a blend. The new season wine is vin nouveau. Should be tried, though, and second the recommendation for wet walnuts.

Huge variety of these. Try the one made from baies de houx (holly berries). They may be poisonous, but they make a great distilled product. Very smooth, and surprisingly spring-like.

“Water of life”, funnily enough, in the Irish language we call whisk(E)y “Uisce Beatha” , Uisce means water and Beatha means life :wink:

… And the Scandinavians have Aquavit (aqvavit/aqua vitae)… I wonder if many cultures wish to associate the idea of the ‘water of life’ with their national brew?

Hi,

Booked an AirBnb in Colmar. Went with Colmar because we are 3 and its easier to find an apartment there, also we arrive late on Friday so easier to find food when we arrive from Basel and in the evening we can all go to a nice wine bar and drink without driving.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations - here are the planned wineries to visit on Saturday and Sunday:

Saturday:

1. Rolly Gassmann Louis
  2. Domaine Josmeyer
  3. Sorg Bruno
  4. Emilie Beyer
  5. Pierre Frick (may swap for Leon Beyer)

Sunday:

1. Cave de ribeauville
  2. Louis Sipp
  3. Hugel
  4. Ernest Burn

The Sunday wineries are constraint by the schedule/opening hours. The wineries that were considered but probably will not have time to visit.

• Cellar Bebleheim
  • Maison Trimbach
  • Domaine Paul Blanck
  • Barmès-Buecher
  • Domaine Humbrecht

If there are any on the miss list that you would swap out please let us know so I can book accordingly.

Again thanks all for recommendations - its wonderful!

That looks like a great set of tastings. Quite ambitious to get through that many in two days! Never tasted at Emile Beyer or Pierre Frick - do report back. I would say that our rule is NEVER to do anything else after tasting at Rolly Gassmann. A fantastic experience, but LOTS of wines, and they do like you to taste them. So visiting them first…will be a stretch.

To emphasise the point about Rolly Gassmann, I visited once in a group and they lined up the wines that we were offered. Here they are:

Hugel is similar (think we tried about 20) - but you can opt out of those you are not interested in. Having said that, exercising ‘lack of interest’ at Hugel may prove impossible to the uninitiated.

You really do need to try Rolly Gassmann next time you visit Alsace, @Inbar - it has to be be experienced to be believed. Here’s May’s wine list:

We have been there and tasted over 50 wines - they just keep coming. Even after you’ve finished up everything you could possibly want to taste, have bought and paid, Pierre will be insisting that you try (another of) his vendanges tardives (all delicious). Hugel is lovely too, but nothing is like Rolly Gassmann.

Interestingly, the only other place with a similarly long list that we’ve visited is Dirler-Cadé, and it’s for similar reasons. Both are domaines built on a marriage between two winemaking families, where they’ve continued to vinify all the parcels from both sides separately. Very different style of wines, both are excellent, both are committed to expressing their terroirs.

Oh, don’t you worry! :wink: Sounds completely up my street - and mental note made for our next trip. I’m up for heroic gestures where tasting Alsatian wines is concerned :smiley:

Does anyone know if Marcel Deiss can be visited and if so has anyone been?

Yes, Deiss have a building just outside Bergheim’s town walls where you can try their wines. Don’t think it was part of their winery itself though.

If you express an interest to buy they can be quite generous with the wines offered. The host gave a great talk on their philosophy whilst tasting.

Not Rolly Gassmann generous though!

I am very keen on making it to Alsace. How to persuade the other half to be designated driver…

Good summary, @embee. I would add that Deiss are unusual in that they do charge for a tasting, though that is refunded if you buy over a certain amount. They have an annual portes ouvertes event in May (the date changes so you’d need to check the website), when there are events such as underground tastings in the dark, and a vineyard walk with Jean-Michel Deiss - the wines are available for free tasting then.