As cellar audits are en vogue… I thought it might be fun to have a look what people’s most stocked varieties are. Going on Cellartracker, this is my top 5…
- Pinot Noir - who would have thought… but a whopping 29%, time for a bit of self reflection perhaps (from 11 regions, mind you… Burgundy heavy true)
- Red Bordeaux Blend - a genuine surprise, I don’t even like the stuff, again there is geographical diversity with 9 regions
- Red Rhone Blend - unsurprisingly no geographical diversity here, although Western Cape features
- Chardonnay - White Burgundy carries the first White variety over the finish line, just missing out on the podium
- Syrah - predominantly Rhone I’m afraid, in fifth place looking over the shoulder as Nebbiolo is closing in.
There, this is as boring as cellars get I suspect. Do you have variety or just a monoculture?