01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Toad in the Hole

Haven’t had a pint of Jennings for so long. After a hard days up on the fells, the first pint barely touched the sides. Just saying… now, I’m thinking about a week in the western fells sometime after Dec 2nd.

1 Like

I think I was last in Cockermouth in 2005!

The problem with family in Snowdonia and on the edge of the Peaks is that that tends to be where my walking happens.

A nice problem to have. :smiley:

Unfortunately the Snowdonia lot are about to move to the Peaks (my parents are moving closer to my sisters due to recent granddaughter - and more bizarrely, FOMO at me buying a new house). There’s talk of some kind of family bolt hole being kept in the area though.

1 Like

Recipe from a book called sausage and mash, made with M & S Cumberland sausages, served with peas, carrots, mash and gravy and a TWS French red Chateau Pennautier

16 Likes

Oat milk actually works if you run out of cow juice

Wow @Brenda, that looks great. I like M&S Cumberlands, much better than Waitrose.

You posted a photo of the Chateau Pennautier 2015 in the weekend drinking thread. I was intrigued at to what was in the bottle so looked at the winery website and appellation rules.

Anyway I’ve just ordered the 2018 from TWS - and now realise that it is not the same, yours was Terroirs de Altitude, this isn’t, but seems to be the same blend

1 Like

Thank you, it’s a new addition to the recipe repertoire. Hope the 2018 vintage is as good as the one we had!

1 Like

After reading this thread I had a hankering for toad in the hole for a couple of weeks. It took me that length of time to persuade my partner to give it a try (she’s Scottish, apparently it hasn’t travelled this far north). Quality sausages and dripping were sourced, a recipe decided on (Felicity Cloake’s perfect version as above) and I was hoping to post the results here and watch the likes roll in…except it didn’t rise. If that wasn’t bad enough I forgot to buy a cheap bottle to add to the gravy and ended up using some Baron de Ley Reserva from a half bottle they were flogging for a couple of quid in Morrisons. New oak was not exactly the gravy tasting note I was going for. The verdict:

“You’ve basically just made Yorkshire puddings worse.”

In some form of English/Scottish cultural exchange, next week I now have to try a mince round (Google it). My mouth is not exactly watering at the prospect but I’ll keep an open mind.

4 Likes

Just Googled. I didn’t realise there was anything Scots about it. It’s a mince meat pie (as opposed to a mince pie). Yummy, serve with onion gravy.

Of course, the pie is as good as the filling. No reason why it shouldn’t be excellent.

2 Likes

Must be something to do with trying to make a YP North of the border
Like we’d ever attempt to breed haggis

Now why would you want a mince round when you could have a lovely, peppery ‘scotch pie’. I remember these from my childhood (my mum is Scottish and deemed this the only suitable export).

5 Likes