01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Thoughts on the Gran Reservas of La Rioja Alta

Had some very lovely wines on Thursday, but one that TWS actually stock was this one:

I was concerned that it would be too young a bit rough, but no - with a bit of air, this showed wonderful complexity and poise, while still having decent concentration. After having had quite a few disappointing Riojas recently, this has made me believe. And it was among strong company (and was no slouch).

1981 C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) Rioja Viña Real Reserva
1994 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia
2001 Rotllan Torra ‘Tirant’ 2001
2002 Bodegas Pintia Toro Pintia

I guess £49 is quite a lot for a Rioja, but this wine will last (and improve) for a couple of decades, and I suspect will be something one would be pleased to have in one’s cellar in years to come (and wonder why you didn’t buy more!).

Weekday Drinking Thread [10 to 13 December 2018]

I’ve had a few 904s from different years and have never been disappointed. It will certainly last, and improve. And also increase in price (or value).

I quite fancy laying my hands on one of these, but it’s a bit steep now:

https://www.decanter.com/wine-reviews/spain/rioja/la-rioja-alta-gran-reserva-890-rioja-2005-17828

Wow! Isn’t it just…

This is a fair bit cheaper, but do you think 2005 is a far superior vintage?

I have been looking into these since the rekindling of my interest in Rioja. Found a great thread on the old wine-pages forum which enthusiasts might find worth looking at: http://www.uk-wine-forum.co.uk/cgi-bin2/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=026590

Another example of TWS offering a wine well below (30-40%) the market… You also get free delivery on a single bottle, what’s not to like.

True, dat. However, I suspect that it’s not a wine I would particularly enjoy! Tempting to buy some as an investment, odious though such a move would be…

2005 purported to be “best ever”…

I wonder when/if TWS will get it? Actually, this is probably as good a place to ask as any… Would the buyers know? Would they say?

Given one of the tasters in the linked Decanter article is a TWS buyer (Head of Buying actually) I am sure they know…

…and would he say?!

2004 generally recognised as better than 2005, I think.

904 and 890 are of course quite different wines! 904 not quite worth the differential, in my (limited) experience of it.

But 904 is the cheap one.
Looking at vintage charts, 2001, 2004 and 2005 seem to be all regarded as about the same generally. Of course different domaines will do better in different years.
I think 890 would not be to my tastes, but could be an investment wine.
Ardanza (Reserva) may be even better for me (as a drinking wine) :wink:

Hello all, I created a new topic for this discussion, as it’s generating a lot of interest and responses.
Feel free to edit the name of the new thread… :blush:

Ace! Big thread drift… :wink:

Yes, but it’s often where the interesting conversations end up hiding :wink:

Sorry, must have got them the wrong way round. Not exactly memorable names, are they? :slight_smile:

Yes, and one assumes that the higher number would be the “better” one.

Actually, it is IMHO, but it’s not the cheaper one!

There’s only one way to find out if it’s to my taste…and that’s to try it. So, I solemnly promise to order one from TWS when they stock it at 30-40% lower than market price! :yum:

Good man! Taking one for the team…

BTW, I did leave a message asking about the 2005 890 and was told someone would call me back. I’m still waiting! :wink:

Don’t call, we will call you…