01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

They Didn't Like It…

He’s fizzing (and so is the wine…)

5 Likes

‘Society Promise? What Society Promise?’

5 Likes

Well, to be fair, I only became aware of the Society Promise when I joined this community and it cropped up in conversation! A lot of people like me don’t bother reading the small print or just don’t notice it.

I’d also add that this is precisely why I almost never buy more than two bottles of a wine I’ve not tried before! There might not be anything wrong with the wine but if it doesn’t suit me it’s a terrible waste. And I just can’t get myself into the modern shopping attitude of buying loads of different examples of a particular product (clothes, wine, whatever) with the express intent of trying them all on/out and only keeping one and sending the rest back.

9 Likes

I hope customer services will pick this up. They did with a bad review I left, a credit appeared in my account.

Mike, Russ, completely agree that this could be handled better.

@laura - Hello again :grinning:

There may be a great opportunity here to improve how TWS handle bad customer experiences.

It’s clear that many in the society, including members of the forum, are not familiar with the Society’s promise over on the About Us page.

Please can you suggest that the page for entering reviews is updated to include some of the promise text, copied below - and perhaps suggesting that they contact member services BEFORE leaving a review. This should help those feeling exasperated as to their experience, provide a better outcome for them, and result in less comments related to genuinely faulty wines.

2 Likes

Might be a good idea to send your suggestion to member services or Isobel Cooper as this is predominantly a member to member forum .

2 Likes

Thanks Leah, ah yes that’s a better route - thanks.

2 Likes

I gave a poor review to a cheapish red bordeaux a few months go. Until then it had been reviewed favourably; I found it charmless and acidic, but not remotely faulty. On that basis it got 2 stars.

As a relative newbie, I was then shocked to get an unsolicited email apologising and crediting me for the wine. I hadn’t contacted customer services, just left the review.

While super impressed by this, in my experience, unprecedented action, I wrote to member services to say while appreciated, there was no need to refund a non faulty wine and clearly others liked it and it was a matter of taste. Having worked in the wine trade many decades ago, I know tastes vary, not everyone likes the same thing (for example I am struggling to like the Soc Langhe Nebbiolo that others seem to think is so pretty). I said I’d feel I could not post an honest review if they pursued a policy like this, but they were adamant, you get the refund.

Now I never give less than 3 stars…

(Unless it’s faulty/corked but not had one of those yet)

13 Likes

Storm brewing

2 Likes

The things that people get wound up about when the earth is literally burning! :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Yes, I had a similar experience a while ago and much the same feeling about it. It’s impressive that TWS operates such a comprehensive refund policy but at the same time it does almost seem to undermine your option of just not being very keen on some particular wine. Perhaps if you leave a 1 or 2 star review you should be offered an option to forfeit any refund if you don’t think the wine was faulty and are happy to accept that you simply made a poor choice for yourself.

3 Likes

I do wonder sometimes how much people know about wine. At least the gentleman tasting the last one sampled it at 3,24 and 36 hours. In my youth I ordered an EP mixed rhone case containing Domaine de Thalbert which I had never tried. Before drinking any I had ordered a case of 12 more. On opening the first bottle I thought it was dreadful and placed the cork back in and wondered what I would do with the 14 remaining bottles. The next day before pouring it down the sink I resampled it and thought the wine fairy had swapped it over night.

Valuable lesson learned about wine age and decanting which the various pearls of wisdom across the community help reinforce.

9 Likes

That would be good but it’s not going to be available based on my exchanges.

It did make me wonder if they keep any sort of check on complaints. It’s a system that people could game and we would all be picking up the tab…

1 Like

I’m really struggling to get my head around people complaining they have been given a refund on a bottle they didn’t enjoy regardless of whether it was faulty or not .
It seems TWS can’t do right for wrong .

7 Likes

I don’t often disagree with you but I think they have a point…

I’m not sure it’s as strong as a complaint, more an observation and a concern as to where it might lead. Perhaps there should be an explicit requirement to seek a refund, or instead of automatically giving it, they are directed to the link on the website that asks them to seek it, then it’s up to them.

1 Like

Personally, I think it’s pedantic but that’s just my opinion.

1 Like

Quite. I must be a simpler creature than some others as, for me, the conversation would go roughly like this:

TWS - “Sorry to read that you didn’t enjoy the wine. We’d like to offer you your money back.”

Me - “Money back? Yes please.”

5 Likes

Shall we move this to Pedants’ corner then :laughing:?

3 Likes

I think it’s a great policy to refund when the members are unhappy with the wine. And a bad review says that clearly. Especially good if you’re not expecting it.
When you hear the poor chap wondering if he has to pour the rest of the case down the sink, how wonderful if he gets a refund.
Although I worry he brought a case based on the tasting note alone. Seems naive.

Maybe the naysayers think the refund is their money and mistrust people who get one. Quite odd. TWS as a business has this policy which is well tested, the membership has expanded, TWS is very successful and solvent. The policy seems to work for the mutual wine based enjoyment of all. I for one would buy much less from them without such a guarantee

5 Likes

Pretty sure they do. Not sure where I picked this up, but it came up before and I’m sure somebody said that they do monitor returns to ensure that nobody is taking the proverbial.

2 Likes