01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

They Didn't Like It…

Yes, that is what I was thinking, but you found better words :slight_smile:

But you meant to post this in the Cambridge Group thread!

1 Like

Doesn’t sound great, can only assume a duff bottle? Has anybody tried this one yet, was very tempted to buy some…

1 Like

I think it was still good in 2018. Guess more “research” required to support my current negative stance - or, hopefully - show it was a one-off or just wrong…

I saw a very positive review on the forum somewhere in the past

How far in the past? I’m not disputing that prior to
2020 it was good. Just wondering if it’s still good!

Excellent wine. I’ve just cooked a hock of venison in a while bottle. Ought to be a boozy one…

1 Like

More of a general comment on reviews: why do so many people refer to a wine’s “price point” when “price” would do?

Isn’t “price point” more of a technical term for marketing and sales people? Or am I just being a grumpy old man?

5 Likes

Or is it just like the American’s saying ‘affirmative’ instead of just plain ‘yes.’ I think people probably think it sounds more impressive!

And if that makes you a grumpy old man it does me too! :smiley:

3 Likes

Yesterday I was strongly tempted to revive a pedantry topic but eventually decided against it!

I don’t know why “price point” is often used. To me, as a non-marketing person, it carries the implication that the price is a somewhat arbitrary figure based on market research, rather than on the actual cost of the product. For wine this might often be the case!

A quick google gives:

Price is the actual amount of money given in exchange for a product/service. Price point , on the other hand, is a point on a scale of possible prices for a product.

Which suggests incorrect usage in a review for something that is bought and paid for.

2 Likes

Not at all. I feel the same.

I think it was me who gave the wine a good review. I really liked it and ordered another 12 and put them straight into the reserves!

Tbf, I had them to some truffle crisps which I thought really went well with the wine :slight_smile:

1 Like

why not… implies :wink:

As a marketer…ducks

I like the use of the term ‘price point’ as it gives a loaded meaning to price.

I think it adds in the expectations and context compared to other purchases of said price. If a company sells a number of wines at different price points, they are generally trying to appeal to a number of segments or purchasing behaviours.

It’s probably a more cynical view of how something is priced - Is it priced according to customer behaviour, or is it priced according to what it cost?

It can lead to the winemaker or seller making their own gallows though, as if they specifically put it at a premium price point to try and inflate their branding, it usually comes a cropper. Equally if something is put at a budget price point I’d wager it tends to be well reviewed. I think there was an American study which looked at wines which failed to sell at say $70 a bottle and when the same wine was re-released a few months later at $120 it sold out! So much of price is in consumer behaviour.

All to do with expectation management, or lack of I guess.

3 Likes

Sorry, but if you delete ‘point’ from those sentences I can’t see that the meaning changes at all.

I see your point (no pun intended) but I’d see the term price point meaning ‘band’ or ‘bracket’ or ‘zone’ rather than an absolute

1 Like

Like I said, it has a meaning in a professional capacity that is superfluous in a buyer’s review.

2 Likes

Companies offer products at different “price points” to satisfy different demands of consumers. For example, rather than selling only Riojas costing £20-25, it makes sense to provide a product that will satisfy people who want something cheaper that they can still enjoy as well as a more expensive product that someone might purchase as something special.

So the term “price point” has a subtly different meaning to just “price” in a review. The implication is that something that would be expected to be a special/luxury purchase actually belongs to an entirely different category of product. There is no doubt that you can get by with just the word price, and the distinction may be of no real interest, but there is a difference.

Too direct!

1 Like