01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

They Didn't Like It…

Yes, sugar has that emollient affect Very old dry sherries that have been aged over 30 years blend in a touch of PX to lessen the astringency but not enoigh to change the wine’s profile.

Despite the price cut this still seems too expensive…

When you can get their (stunningly good!) Chardonnay for £20, £15 for this is way to much.

2 Likes

I tried it at a tasting once and it was as if someone had taken a drop from every other wine there and mixed them together. No integration, just unpleasant - to me, anyway.

1 Like

I agree , their Chardonnay is very good :star_struck:!

3 Likes

I am a few minutes walk from them, so I want to visit and see if they have anything for sale with a bit of age to it, mostly to keep me away from my remaining 2018!

3 Likes

He did, but he didn’t.

Aftertaste of rotten fruit! I wonder if this was a commonly shared experience?

Surely the metallic tang from cans myth has been well and truly been put to bed by the beer industry over the past 10 years.

2 Likes

I had it, it was decent if not spectacular. No rotten fruit or metallic tang for me, but all our tastes differ. I also thought it is overpriced compared to the full bottle. I thought cans were cheaper to make, transport and recycle… I am no expert though.

3 Likes

If you can taste it, it’s there.

1 Like

I guess.

Would it be classed as a type of minerality I wonder?

1 Like

Aldi’s Crémant de Jura is not to be sniffed at

2 Likes

But no longer stocked I believe which is a real shame if true

It seems location-dependant. I managed to purchase a couple fairly recently (last 3 months, I think) in my local Aldi, but friends in other locations definitely haven’t seen it for a while now. Odd!

2 Likes

Defo still available. If not in your local shop, you can order online.

I think it has lost shelf-space to the million & one types of Prosecco supermarkets feel the need to sell now.

1 Like

Buyer’s remorse

1 Like

Have you had it recently?
It used to be very good indeed, but the last bottle I bought (probably in 2020) was a big step down. Could have been a duff bottle (although no technical fault I could discern), but it has made me reluctant to try again.
I’ve heard that they do a different cremant (sadly I forget from where!) that is good.

2018 was the last time, but I have a bottle at home I shoudl open soon.

In 2018 I wouldn’t like to say it was better or worse than it was (say) 10 years ago. I thought it was pretty good, and good value for money. I always did think it was different to most other crémants, perhaps a bit more of a crowd-pleaser, and to be honest it pleased me more too. For sparkling wine under a tenner, and probably under £15/20 too, that is still what I personally would choose. But I would not consider myself an expert in, or even an enthusiastic buyer of, wine in that sort of area.

My notion of a “signature wine” would be a wine that reflects your personality and tastes - might be your “house wine for a fairly special occasion” - so not an everyday drinker, but nothing flash either (unless you are a flash kind of person). Perhaps a wine that your friends always think of you when they see it.

1 Like