01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

They Didn't Like It…

One to definitely avoid then

1 Like

I did drink mine BTW, but there is no way I’d buy another bottle. I have the retsina from the same producer too, but haven’t tried it yet. We’ll see…

1 Like

In my opinion yes. I tried it cool, then let it warm up, interestingly as @SteveSlatcher has said, I went to check the alcohol on the back because it very noticeable and not balanced with the acidity, fruit and tannin.
There are so many better wines out there for this price .

2 Likes

And I’ve probably bought most of them recently :joy:

2 Likes

Just to bump this. I’ve now tried the Trimbach 2019 from a half bottle. Tasted blind I’d have said it was Clare Valley - it is very very dry with dominant lime flavours but in my view none the worse for it. I wouldn’t have called it thin - there’s a slightly chewy texture and good length that suggests it could age well. It stacks up reasonably well vfm wise against Aussie examples. I suppose if you were expecting a slightly richer style of Alsace Riesling you would be disappointed and it is certainly a huge contrast to the 2018 Boeckel I had recently.

6 Likes

‘Definitely NOT going to risk Greek ever again’. I think they will be missing out.

3 Likes

More for the rest of us then.

Surprised by the feedback, would be interesting to know what style of white the member liked as a comparison.

At least it was 2 stars! I guess you only give 1 star if the bottle is out of stock.

There is another review further down, on the 10th May, it reads positive but not sure that was the full intention

4 Likes

It’s a protest against the description. His wife liked it, but he didn’t think it was dry as described. Not tried the 2020, but wouldn’t be surprised if the aromatics are making him think it is sweeter than it is.

Yeah it’s pretty floral but dry.

Yeah I get that but the description is 2 out of 9 for dry which I thought would lean towards medium dry and then the tasting note is

“A blend of moschofilero, providing the grapefruit and rosehip aromatics, and roditis, giving wonderful citrusy freshness”

Would that not be aromatic then?

At least the review has reminded me to add a bottle to my basket :joy:

2 Likes

This is very often the case. The word dry is one of the common descriptors that is most prone to varying interpretations. It’s quite easy to make a definition in technical terms, for example <2 g/l residual sugar, but most non-expert tasters (and a few more expert, including me at times) can confuse fruit richness for sweetness.

2 Likes

And we are so used to high acid wines that low acidity can also confuse the palate. Lots of southern Rhône whites are very dry but low acid and they can taste sweet if not accustomed to this style.

6 Likes

Very true. And that’s without the complications of pH vs Titratable Acidity (plus matrix effects including but not limited to %abv!) and the overall perception of acidity.

2 Likes

According to TWS: “The sweetness codes in the List and on our website are designed to help members choose their preferred style of wine. Graded in the List from 1 (bone-dry) to 9 (intensely sweet), the rating is intended to convey the sensation of sweetness on the palate rather than precise levels of residual sugar. Levels of acidity will counterbalance sweetness” - which is similar to what other merchants do.

I would guess that floral and ripe-fruit aromas would be also be judged to “affect the sensation of sweetness”, and push the index up, while 1 would be reserved for sharp dry wines.

I am not a great fan of this scheme, particularly at the sweet end of the spectrum, as for me there is a vast difference between very high RS with balancing acidity (yum) and a flabby middling RS wine (yuk).

5 Likes

I thought it hilarious how one bottle went down the sink, but the remaining bottle went to a street party.

Also interesting to see the general attitudes in the reviews towards Greek wines. So many comparisons with Retsina! Such is the remaining uphill struggle with image that Greek wines face :frowning:

9 Likes

Ridiculous.

We chose this wine for our wedding white after having six people over and after blind tasting 7 bottles of white, from all over the world, this one was the consensus winner. A few weeks later I asked a different group to try it just to confirm we hadn’t all been really drunk on the day and they too were all won over.

I’m really surprised anyone could say that this bottle is anything but a very capable bottle for under £10.

I wonder if they had already made up their minds before they had even tasted it.

6 Likes

I have 4 bottles arriving Friday. One of my regular buys.

3 Likes

Another source of confusion with the term “dry” is the mouth-drying effect of tannins, AKA astringency.

In fact, when most wine drinkers use the term for red or dry white wine, I think they usually mean astringent or acidic respectively. It’s not 100% foolproof, but I think one sign is that they often say “very dry”, and I doubt very much they are distiguishing between very small amounts of RS.

It used to be a cue for me to launch into a section of my “Introduction to Winetasting” speech, but now I accept it as everyday English, and have learned to keep my mouth shut unless the other person really shows interest in winetrade/WSET tasting terminology.

4 Likes

So what people are describing is the drying effects of tannins in their mouth rather than the dryness or otherwise of the wine itself. Drinking a port too early would demonstrate that probably - too tannic yet obviously sweet at the same time. Or a new world red with plenty of residual sugars but still a bit young…

Yes

But… I think sugar moderates the perception of astringency. So if they compared a tannic sweet wine with an equally tannic dry wine, they would get it “right” that the dry wine was indeed drier, but for the “wrong” reason. If that makes sense? I’m not sure if that is what you were saying.

2 Likes