01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

They Didn't Like It…

I’ve had several bottles of Trinity Hill Syrah. One was utterly bland, tasted like a £5 wine, and I got a refund. One was actually really great, lots of savoury flavours, black olive etc, and was pretty good value for money. I think it may be a bottle variation issue, or the fact that it needed a few more months of sleep

1 Like

I also had the Trinity Hill and I thought it was amazing - So dark, peppery, black olives, though I think it was only £10-11 when I bought it.

I’ve only felt the need to even consider the guarantee twice in nearly 10 years as a member so I think TWS is doing things absolutely fine. It’s also nice to know that there is a ‘safety net’ if I was so disgruntled.

Not sure who the US buyer is? Maybe they have a rationale for the tasting notes and price tag?

2 Likes

I haven’t had Mount Eden wine in almost 20 years, but when I lived in California they ranked with Ridge as relatively expensive producers that I thought were worthwhile. Of course it was all a lot cheaper (cerlainly relative to claret) then. I have a £50 self-imposed price limit, but I nearly ordered one of these as a sentimental exception. Glad I didn’t now, but sorry to hear this seems to be disappointing people now.

I do wonder though if people give more leeway to traditional wines (especially Burgundy) than anything not French or Italian (Rioja in my experience is consistent enough not to need many allowances). I may be wrong, but I suspect people are much faster to leave bad reviews of a £55 Californian wine than they would be for a similarly priced Burgundy or Hermitage.

The guarantee is of course open to interpretation, but I wouldn’t personally consider “not very good value” (or maybe I’ve misunderstood @Nowt_in_my_glass’s comment as implying that at £30-40 it would be fair value) as a reason to exercise it. However, if people aren’t abusing it, it doesn’t matter if we all have different triggers for using it.

2 Likes

Sarah Knowles is the North American buyer. She is approachable - I’ve met her at Society tastings (remember those?) and seen her on zoom calls. Probably worth asking the question via member services.

1 Like

Oh yes sorry, I did mean the £30-£40 (let’s say £35 for a happy medium) would’ve been fair value. I think I’m also probably a bit early in my tasting journey to really give a creible verdict. I’ve had the pleasure of tasting a fair few high quality US bordeaux blends at the decanter tastings in a tutorial but these were stratospherically priced and it’s very hard to truly judge a wine’s value as it goes north of say £30. I’ve had some outrageously good us cabernet at sub-£20 recently (Cannonball) which may have skewed my judgement a bit.

I have also had the pleasure of meeting @Sarah, who gave @Inbar and I a wonderful lowdown on her buying trips in Champers and the US. My guess is that she has tasted many flights of US Cabernet (possibly the best job in the world) so has made an entirely reasonable judgment - Which leaves two conclusions with the disparity in reviews - One, there is a deficit in understanding/agreement of the economics and the wine style by the reviewers or Two, it didn’t match their expectations of a £55 Napa Cabernet.

As mentioned, the society is very good to offer a refund in this, so as a member it’s important to be considerate but call in the need for the guarantee when required.

2 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: The Society Guarantee - Discuss!

Not a WS wine, but I have a bottle of this (I think some others may have too…). from CT:

If this were a red, the sulfur and brett would have us leave the wine for an hour and pray for change. I’ve never had a white that tasted so much like an insipid red ruined by brett, maybe more orange citrus here, but very much rotting rinds in a dirty stable. Slight effervescence. Importer logo says “OPEN YOUR MIND AND TASTE”, to remind us to abandon all frames of reference for great wine in order to find terroir virtues in sea air and volcanic soil. Yes, ok, that is there, but the horsehair dirty hay barnyard thing going on, celebrated by some wine geeks, as au naturale perfection, like matted armpit hair on a Spanish supermodel, is just too much for me. She tasted the same in the morning, and I dumped her. Sorry.

Wine in question is this

Sounds like a lot of reduction from all the reviews. I bought one to sample…will report back in due course.

2 Likes

Explains as well why this thread is called HE didn’t like it

1 Like

Interesting, I looked at the spec for this wine on the website and the vinification talks about using “open plastic buckets.” That may be a bad translation (I don’t speak Spanish). But otherwise concrete tanks, soft crush. A ph of 3 and TA is 6.96g/l so all within normal range but the 3ph is a bit low. The effervescence may be down to no MLF and/or no fining or filtration (no mention of either on the spec) so you may be getting a touch of a second fermentation in the bottle.
I have never met a Spanish Supermodel (unwashed or otherwise) so I cannot comment on that point.

You may be making assumptions there? :wink:

A great review here. 3 stars. Back to the earlier discussion of sweet shop flavours :grinning:

1 Like

I have the Vidonia white from the same grower. 2018. I will open tonight so we can compare notes. My earlier post was written before I remembered I had the aforesaid wine in my cellar

1 Like

Not sure when I will broach the Trenzado. Not tonight anyway.

I know this wine quite well. As does @Leah IIRC. The 2018 was excellent and on the right side of reduction, full of body and complexity, opened out beautifully in the decanter. I also have had the 2019 and it definitely was not as good and overly sulphur-y. I had the 2019 in a restaurant and so could not just leave it, instead I was violently swinging around the decanter like a maniac.

I really loved the 2018 so I hope it just needs a bit more time to sort itself out, rather than being fundamentally flawed.

6 Likes

I agree with @HBlackburn, this is a great wine, yes it has reductive notes but also it is a volcanic wine and shows traits of this on the nose and palate. It does need air to come around but once it does it truly opens up so a wonderfully complex wine. The reference to Brett doesnt sound like the wines I have tasted but I also would suggest that there is bottles variation here to.
7 Fuentes,
7 FUENTES (suertesdelmarques.com)
Also has these volcanic characteristics. and can have considerable bottle variation but is imho a really great wine too.

6 Likes

Same vinification but single varietal. Lovely wine. Balanced, rich, great acidity, lovely fruit. Could not fault it. I am surprised about the 2019 having too much sulphur. The domaine states that it goes in for low sulphur. Perhaps another year in bottle is needed?

4 Likes

I think some people may mistake reductive notes or mineral flavours as “sulphury”, I heard that comment made in a tasting with a low -sulphur wine before.

3 Likes

I really love trenzado, but could well understand anyone who didn’t, it’s very unusual.

I have one bottle of Vidonia left , I’m saving it for maybe a Wednesday night :joy:.

Absolutely :+1:

1 Like

I’m probably wrong, but aren’t those reductive smells sulphur containing compounds?
Not quite sure what mineral notes are, if anything at all.