01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

They Didn't Like It…

I had one bottle of 1999 that wasn’t good. Others have been fine.

1 Like

Fingers crossed; I still have four '99s! I’ve loved all three I’ve had already.

CellarTracker gives '19 for the '97 and '26 for the '99 and I generally see the '99 given a lot more time than the '97. :crossed_fingers:

Gromit is the only dog I can think of that would understand a wine recommendation. Anyway lets give the dog a bone, the poster may just be an avid supporter of the RSPCA.

2 Likes

This review is straying into the `Pedants’ Corner area!!

Oh my, this whole item is allowing some people with too much time on their hands to trawl through the reviews on the website :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed previous vintages of this wine. Saw this and immediately thought that he has one of those bottles with a non obvious fault that has dulled the fruit.

1 Like

Well that’s a shame given the notable wines under ‘if you like this, you may enjoy…’. Not a great advert as it stands for the Soc’s Exhibition Margaux or Xinomavro Thymiopopoulos :flushed:

1 Like

I had that wine recently - and it brings out that difference between a wine one doesn’t see eye to eye with versus a flawed wine, or versus a wine that you think of as a rip off. I thought the Xinomavro was ok - just really thin I found it characterless, but definitely not wrong, and I thought in the end it was my personal taste.

1 Like

The current vintage (2018 I think) is I think a bit simpler than previous ones. The fruit is a bit more one dimensional IMO, so I could maybe understand ‘characterless’ though I think that’s somewhat harsh - it has less character than previous vintages, but I wouldn’t have described it as thin…though if you aren’t a fan of lighter Pinot Noir or Nebbiolo then you probably wouldn’t like this.

3 Likes

Many SW wines suffer from a twin problem - they are wines that generally reward keeping far longer than you’d imagine for wines at their price point (a healthy mix of grape varieties, traditional vinification and suppressed prices all add up to that).

And they tend to be wines ‘for the table’ (I know people have issues with this, but they really are generally vinified for accompanying food).

I wouldn’t open something like a Herri Mina rouge for probably approaching a decade. I’d put money on that being at the heart of the problem. I’m sure most people underestimate the longevity of such wines (Tesco sell a St Mont at £6 that will comfortably age and improve for 5 or 6 years. How many other £6 supermarket wines would do that?)

3 Likes

Agree the 2015 is a little bit young and would reward keeping. Think I had the 2012 a couple of years back and it was drinking well but would have kept.

1 Like

Actually, I love pinots and similar, but it just didn’t work for me. But maybe that was it. But I’ve had some terrific lighter Pinots - the wonderful Finot I loved. But yeah, it’s really going towards my personal taste and predjudices/preferences I agree - maybe it’s about ‘aesthetics’ of wine making.

I’m glad it’s not just me. I found the 2017 really good and the 2018, perfectly quaffable and still good value, but nothing like as good as previous years.

3 Likes

I like it, and I wanted to like it more, but it just didn’t shout out the way the previous vintages had. It was quite ‘simple’. The previous ones had a more complex but balancing mix of acidity, fruit and just an edge of tannin which this one didn’t really. Perfectly sound wine I think, but not quite hitting the mark. Quaffable sums it up well I think.

It made the Rapsani seem much more different when drinking it a week or two later.

3 Likes

A point to note, 2017 (ISTR) is considered the best vintage of the last decade in Northern Greece.

1 Like

Indeed. However the 16 and 15 of the Jeunes Vignes were also excellent in my view. 18 wasn’t bad, just not as good.

3 Likes

I agree that it would be useful if reviewers could recognise “faults”, or compare the bottle they dislike with a few others of the same wine. But on the other hand I do not think we can reasonably expect it from everyone. We cannot all recognise faults, or buy several bottles of each wine to compare. I think it is a systemic aspect of the wine community (small “c” - not a reference to this one in particular) to expect consumer knowledge and tolerance of faults that would not be expected with other food and drink.

We (again, the wine community in general) like to think we are inclusive and welcoming to newbies, but in many ways it is still an old-boys club.

10 Likes

Fair comment, but it’s a fairly natural product still, and one where faults will and do occur, some very obvious some less so. They also can’t often be picked up in a pre sale quality check. I think people need to be aware of that, and also that they can get their money back and try another bottle. Hence if it’s faulty take it up with TWS, by all means note it neutrally on the member reviews, but some of the comments are pretty intemperate on there.

I also think of wines like Musar, where many are put off by drinking immediately after opening, when giving it even half an hour can make a big difference. Mind you, don’t want too many fans of it…

4 Likes

Received the e mail below yesterday from the good marketing people at TWS. This would have been a god send when I first joined. It made me think that if the marketing department is using customer feedback to develop offers, then why not use the community as a resource. How about;

A mixed case of ‘HE DIDNT LIKE IT’ wines would have a certain appeal
A mixed case of @Taffy-on-Tour Rhone reds could be offered
A mixed case of Italian taken from the cellar of @szaki1974
And finally a vertical case from @tom 974 of Thalabert

All tongue in cheek of course

A constellation of stars – the best member-rated wines. View online

The Wine Society|

Buy Wine New wines Latest offers

Low-stock Italian wines
What better way to discover a whole raft of delicious wines than by following the top recommendations of your fellow members? With our online star rating system it couldn’t be easier to find the bottles that are really going down a treat with wine-loving members like yourself. We’ve gathered together a selection of over 20 wines, from Rioja to riesling, non-alcoholic options for drivers and days off and an amber coloured gem of an Armagnac for fireside sipping, all with 4 and 5-star ratings to try and tempt you. If you’re surprised your favourite isn’t among them then why not leave a rating of your own?

View the range of highest rated wines here

For a super one-stop shop why not order a temptingly tasty 12-bottle mixed case of some of the highest rated wines in our range, selected from the recommendations of members.

[ Buy the mixed case for £99.50 ](http://content.email.thewinesociety.com/?

TYQqCBbgE9A7h8HRgVOCC0wDPHkENia1T&https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/ProductDetail.aspx?pd=MX20342&pc=&prl=fs&utm_source=list&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4_5_star_wines_20200929&utm_content=cta_product2_b&LogValue=http://content.email.thewinesociety.com/?T6QQCBbga8MohFgR17nKp0w6YpknNiwtT&)
The Wine Society|

15 Likes