01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

The World’s greatest Scotsman

According to Alex Salmon at least. Very sad, third legend this week after Tommy Ball and Nobby Stiles now Sir Sean Connery.

Mustn’t forget JJ Williams either.

2 Likes

He certainly was a great Scotsman, no matter what character he played. The most hilarious being a Russian submarine captain in Hunt for Red October and a Richard the Lionhart in Robin Hood. As long as you wanted a Scottish accent he was your man!

1 Like

Very sad. It’s really not a very good year is it? :frowning:

We have all got to die sometime and at 90 he had a good innins !

2 Likes

Well, how about James Clerk Maxwell, or David Hume?

Robert Burns?

3 Likes

He’s definitely the greatest Scotsman in my book :+1::sparkling_heart:

1 Like

“World’s greatest Scotsman?” - Zardoz… Just saying!

If you haven’t seen it (lucky you!) then google it. Put some dark glasses on first or, better still, a blindfold. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (WARNING you won’t be able to unsee this!)

[Meant as a gentle tease. Loved almost every other film he’s made!]

5 Likes

Aaaargh! It’s like Borat :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

In terms of Sean Connery - The Man who Would be King is haunting. Something that got to me about their success and the way his character finds nobility and then quickly looses everything. Now I’d see it as a huge satire on colonialism - the nobility of purpose tacked on to the lust for gold.

I think it was The Offence, that’s absolutely grim - I remember being quite struck by it.

Outland is a must-see. A Space Western with a particularly claustrophobic feel.

(sorry - multiple edits - still thinking about what I think of these films!)

3 Likes

The Man Who Would be King is actually a great example of just how well he could act. The character transformation that he goes through in that film is both extraordinary and believable.

4 Likes

I will add Andrew Carnegie. I appreciate that he emigrated to America, when he was just a boy but from what I have read, his Scottish roots influenced and remained with him throughout his life. A fascinating individual.

3 Likes

Another great Scottish-American emigrant was the naturalist John Muir. Known as the father of the National Parks.

I have a book of his writings and he was also an awesome mountaineer.
7 Likes

Yes he took some great parts but difficult to over look he thought it OK to hit women( but not as hard as you would a man!) well that’s alright then.

1 Like

There are a fair few great Scots, one could also make a case for Adam Smith. Only one of them died yesterday though, so it really is a no contest for the media.

5 Likes

Don’t forget Joseph Lister who pioneered antiseptic surgery. Those idiots who have decided masks are a terrible infringement of their ‘liberties’ might not appreciate surgeons not wearing one. Or, for that matter, neglecting to wash their hands. Before Lister, surgeons used to vie with each other for the filthiest apron.

1 Like

And Adam Smith was much less red in tooth and claw than one might believe from today’s accounts, I believe. Economics however remains a closed book to me.

3 Likes

He was indeed. Political economy…it was still called that when I studied it at Glasgow Uni. While that was not yesterday, it was a fair bit after Adam Smith taught there :grinning:

3 Likes

Granpaw Broon.

That wily old fox.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen that, probably in the early days of Channel 4 at 2AM when they showed some properly ‘out there’ stuff. One of those films that falls into the - all too memorable for all the wrong reasons - category !

2 Likes

I am probably going to risk great unpopularity but he had a very good life, was very well remunerated and chose to live in the Bahamas, not in his native land. I am sure there are many Scotsmen and women who rank above him in the list of “greats.” He was after all no more than a film entertainer.
We all have to go sometime and I I live to be 90 I shall be very happy.

2 Likes