01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Wine Society Range, Spring 2022

JR has published some reviews of selection from the Spring range here The Wine Society – spring 2022 | JancisRobinson.com I think you need to be a PP member to read it though. Lots of GVs and VGVs, 16+ pointers, some we already know and love, and some newbies.

2 Likes

There are a number of increasingly good Trousseaus (aka Merenzao, Bastardo, etc) from the NW of the Iberian peninsula, where the grape was no doubt brought centuries ago by pilgrims from France. Often only 12 or 13% too.

I was very excited to try this given how much I enjoyed their Chardonnay (Patchwork) but found the Singulier odd and ungenerous. I definitely advise caution as this grape is not for everyone.

I miss the press / critic reviews page so much. Ridiculous that it’s still not back to pull all of them together and sell more wine.

3 Likes

Anybody going to the “New List” tasting on Tuesday evening?

3 Likes

Yes, I’ll be there. Under the clock, wearing a yellow carnation…

7 Likes

I will be there with a band of other misfits in tow.

1 Like

A few inter-related points:

Decanter awards are in my opinion virtually meaningless: just about every entry wins an award, and accompanying notes typically are a single sentence.

Gold Badges (on wines in a French hypermarket) signify that a panel has decided the wine meets a minimum standard. It wont be awful.

MY points (as dished out at last years press tasting) were based on a simple 5 star system, which made tasting a lot easier. I then added another 5 to everything to make it a 10 point system and BECAUSE there were no ‘bad’ wines at the tasting, everything scored 6 or more. Then I added an extra point for the handful of outstanding wines - creating an 11 point system.

On reflection, my 11 point system is disturbingly similar to Decanter’s (no award / commended / bronze / silver / gold / trophy)

Points are useful to compare apples with pears, yet lack nuance. Hence tasting notes which (in my opinion) are the heart of the matter - to compare apples with more apples.

2 Likes

I’ll be there too. First time at this particular tasting but looking forward to it.

1 Like

I’m here too. No idea how to identify forum members!

Not that it’s much help now, but this was me last night in the room with the weird swan thing. I have no idea why there was a room with a weird swan thing, but there we go. I did briefly say hello to @Brocklehurstj, but we were both on “MORE WINE!” missions at the time so it was literally just a hello.

I was mostly unimpressed with the wines last night :frowning:

16 Likes

This is slightly unfair, there were some good wines on show, but they were ones I’d had before. Of the things I’d not tried previously, the Exhibition Margaret River Cab Sav was the only thing I really enjoyed. I was probably also slightly deflated by the last wine of the evening (Exhibition Barolo 2018, usually a safe bet) being very lack lustre.

The Exhibition South African Chenin was my favourite of the evening.

9 Likes

I have a couple of those. Are they ready to drink?

NEW wines has gone bonkers! Don’t look!! :see_no_evil:

7 Likes

Yes, it was a bit of a scramble to get round everything in the time available. Trying the latest vintage (2018) of the Muga Cava was great. The Exhibition English sparkling wine was lovely but couldn’t compete with the cava on price (likewise the vintage champagne - Pierre Gimonnet 2016).

Exhibition SA Chenin was excellent, but I also really enjoyed the Chilean Chardonnay (Talinay Limari 2021), which though clearly very young I think has very great potential. Also considering I don’t normally like Sauvignon Blanc, the Reuilly (Mabillot 2021) was in a style I might actually enjoy a glass of - quite restrained and classy.

None of the reds really grabbed me, though I quite enjoyed the Turkish (Okuzgozu-Bogazkere, Vinkara 2019) and Portuguese (Esporao Monte Velho Tinto 2020). The 2018 Exhibition Barolo was not a happy finish, so I went back and sneaked another taste of the Chenin :yum:

We then headed up to Old Street for dinner at Passione Vino, which was lovely but I have no idea what we drank. Somehow ended up on the last train home.

11 Likes

My better half and i were there and were also largely unimpressed. It just reinforced why we spend money on classic French wine really. Most of what was on offer was inexpensive, but we agreed that we’d much rather drink one bottle of, e.g. Vosne, than three bottles of these offerings.

There were a few exceptions of course, for instance we were impressed with the Greek Rosé and will be buying that, and the Cava was good too. The English still wine was dreadful with a nose of teenager’s bedroom.

And yes, what was the obsession with Swans?!

5 Likes

The Vintners is one of the Livery Companies that carry out the swan-upping (counting the swans on behalf of the monarch) on the Thames.

https://www.royal.uk/swans

2 Likes

What was the Greek Rosé? The Liatiko?

That’s right - see the rosé thread for more discussion

I was pleasantly surprised by the Aussie Aglianico and the Pinotage. Among my group the English Bacchus was popular, my wife hated the cava but loved the MCC and we both enjoyed the Edelzwicker. The Exhibition Barolo needs plenty of time IMO.

The strangest thing was the American white blend Tablas Creek which had the most wonderful nose but was a real let down on the palate.

Just goes to show how widely tastes can differ, I suppose.

3 Likes

Was this

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/g-and-l-rose-kintonis-2021

1 Like