01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

The spreadsheet thread

It depends on how you want to do your further processing. The data scientist in me much prefers the consistency and machine readability of a CSV file, I can do all sorts of repeatable manipulation with computer programming.

The human in me just wants something I can play with more easily on an ad-hoc basis!

1 Like

I might use that csv file to practice my newly acquired Alteryx and Tableau skills…

All of me yells out XML :slight_smile:

But I bet I would be shouted down. And to be honest I probably would not use it irrespective of the format, so I am doing my best to keep out of it - though not succeeding very well!

2 Likes

I didn’t even know it was a feature until just now, so with you on the not using it. I just fill out most of my spreadsheet manually, especially as I buy a fair amount of non-Society wine.

I would absolutely love to see what EP ive purchased easily. As it takes sometimes 18months for wines to hit reserves it would be nice to have a drop down of what wines are pending, I think im about the 200 bottle mark of wines purchased EP with tws but obviously not “in” yet!

4 Likes

do you really want to scare yourself?!

1 Like

This was what got me started on keeping a spreadsheet. I only have 120 bottles to be delivered. I guess I need to put some more work (or rather orders… the champagne and the Zorzal maybe?) in!

2 Likes

Probably not :joy: :grimacing: :grimacing:… and that’s just with TWS !

2 Likes

@Leah

A new thread, possibly!! :wink:
I have 315 bottles awaiting their place in “reserves!??!”
I had no idea that it was so much.
But I am certain that others will be able to exceed my paltry total?
C’mon, let’s be ‘avin’ yer! :wink: :grinning:

4 Likes

A quick totting up says 324 bottles in EP at the moment. It’s an investment!

2 Likes

Is that en route?? or in reserves? 'cause that’s pretty impressive if they’ve not even landed yet! :grin:

1 Like

En route, with another 120 in reserves. 108 of the EP are from the 2016 Barolo offer, though, as I lost my head a bit. I do love Barolo…

3 Likes

:rofl: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Regarding average prices I have something similar. My stock has a higher average price than my purchases because the wines I need to age cost more than average and remain in stock longer.

I had thought of price as being the easy objective side of the QPR equation. Well that was until you mentioned the changing value of money. The subjective satisfaction side of the equation is also tricky. Setting the scale of enjoyment matters. If enjoyable is 80% of perfection it would be hard for higher priced wines to appear good value. If on the other hand an enjoyable wine was 10% of perfection then higher prices are more likely to work. Everyone probably has a different answer to this.

2 Likes

I’ve yet to figure out an answer to this. It’s just plain difficult I think! I can get comparable but very different enjoyment from a £50 Pauillac and, say, my recent £5.95 bottle of Adega de Redondo Real Lavrador. The question is how do I represent that in a way that I can tell 5 years down the line that both are worth buying again! My QPR equation helps a little as an 80 point £5.95 bottle will get approximately the same rating as a 90 point £39 bottle, which seems moderately reasonable!

3 Likes

I am impressed that you can make it work at all. Useful comparisons require a lot of self discipline. Price can influence. If you have a cheap wine that pleasantly surprises you might give it more credit than it deserves. The opposite is true with pricey wines that are punished for minor failings. Blind tasting would help but having memorised your spread sheet that is not an option. As you say different wines give different experiences. New experiences can be overrated just because they are new. You can get a different experience if it is a sunny day and you have just won the lottery compared to rain lashing the window and the chimney has just fallen down. Detailed tasting notes might help but over elaboration can cause you to loose sight of the essence. A bit like a person grinding on about the difficulties of rating wines.

3 Likes

Hello… I had “parked” this thread for a while assuming that lockdown was not a time to call the wine society to discuss this… But I finally looked at my personal to-do list this morning and called the wine society to see if I could speak to the person who build the spreadsheets we can see for reserves… I left a message pointing them to this thread and left my email…

A number of you put your hands up as being interested. If they do call back, do you want to contribute to a conversation on this thread to see if we can improve the structure of the raw data for reserves and EP listings. On the other hand if you all have macros and complex codes based on the existing material maybe it’s better to leave alone?

3 Likes

I’m also interested in this…

1 Like

Right Piers… I have this as a to-do once my two work related projects give me an evening to work through some thoughts…

1 Like

I would be most interested to see the outcome @Brighton_Ben and lose my simple XL…