01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

The Sorting Table

I thought this may be of some interest to a few of you wine nerds on here.
Dr. Jamie Goode has gotten involved with a new project called The Sorting Table.
It is a new online retailer of wine with a “difference” . It is headed up by Indigo’s Ben Henshaw with Rajat Parr also being a founding member. (Prepare to see some Canary Island wines then).
As a journalist, Jamie is declaring his conflict of interest openly and with integrity I feel. This seems to be an interesting project and the recent discussions around who and from where we will continue to purchase from, I thought this concept was interesting.
The wines, really represent and are possibly aimed at the more informed of buyers with a nod towards supporting biodynamic and minimal intervention producers…
Interesting for sure and you can read more on Jamie’s blog here!

7 Likes

Thanks Leah. Some really interesting stuff there.

Now I’m contemplating some Envinate Benje after having a few glasses elsewhere recently. Although with the wine overflow storage it may create disharmony…

3 Likes

I recognises the name Zorzal, a more expensive bottling than TWS sells

I also recognise Suertes del Marqués Valle de la Orotava 7 Fuentes from Tenerife. I bought the 2011 vintage - from TWS at £9.50 in 2014

Sorting table have the 2017 vintage at £20 plus £15 delivery if order total is under £100

Also note this from their T&Cs

if a wine is faulty, we will send a replacement for free including all delivery costs. Please note, this is at our discretion and not guaranteed.

How unlike our own dear WS.

I can’t see myself rushing to place an order.

3 Likes

While I’ve made my thoughts on Biodynamic clear many a-time, there are some interesting wines there (although also some hefty mark-ups!). I will definitely keep an eye on them/their stock.

I also thought this, VERY hefty mark-ups.
The feeling I get, is this site is aimed at the “informed” wine drinker as opposed to the “general”, still as long as I can buy wines from Spain at a less cost then they are charging, i will continue to do so… however, post Brexit… :dizzy_face:

3 Likes

I think that makes you the even more “informed“ wine drinker!

3 Likes

And… copy into this thread Wine and Elitism

1 Like

Also illegal. The buyer has an absolute right to a refund (not a replacement) if the product sold is faulty. It’s not at the discretion of the seller.

4 Likes

I think that might be a slightly wobbly legal area for something like wine. Is there a legal definition of faulty? Could it be argued to be a purely subjective opinion? That’s why I’ve always been so impressed with the TWS no questions guarantee.

1 Like

Also if someone claims a faulty bottle and replacement 2 out of every 6 bottles, they might decide to use that discretion

The law is clear - goods must be of satisfactory quality - but, as in any claim, you will need to prove your case and show that the wine is faulty.

Expert evidence needed, I would think. (Not feasible for a low-cost contract, I accept.)

2 Likes

But that’s not what they say which is that a replacement is at their discretion even if the wine is faulty. That is illegal.

1 Like

A wine merchants acceptance of a faulty wine is based on goodwill and good customer service. When this company has barely started trading, it seems a bit premature to call them out for breaking the law for not offering a refund (which isn’t actually what they say - they won’t necessarily offer a replacement. Is that illegal as well?).

Going back to your previous point, if it gets to a situation where the fault needs to be proved, it seems very likely that there will have been a serious breach in trust and the Ts and Cs might need to be referred to.

In which case the onus will be on the claimant to prove that the wine is faulty, as you say.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that if a claim is made within a certain time limit the onus is on the SUPPLIER to prove it is NOT faulty (though the customer must facilitate that process, by returning the goods, for example, if asked). Only after that time does the responsibility switch to the customer.

I believe it is not only an offence to fail to compensate for faulty goods, but there is some law against notices that misinform customers about their rights.

1 Like

How is one meant to prove a wine is corked anyway? Assemble a panel of experts? Get a chemical analysis? In most cases the test would be more expensive than the wine.

1 Like

They are selling (so-called) natural wines and white skin contact ‘orange’ wines, both of which include examples that many people consider faulty.

Their devotees don’t.

Perhaps that is what their weaselly T&Cs are thinking of…

It’s of academic interest to me, as I don’t intend using them

Yes it is.

Why? Surely they can offer a refund but not a replacement?

A consumer has rights under a contract for sale of goods that cannot be excluded by the T and Cs. The use of ‘discretion’ purports to do just that.

I get what they are trying to do - dodge fraudulent claims - but it could be better worded.

1 Like

Yes this was my point. And the bottom line is that thank goodness for the TWS no quibble guarantee which means we don’t have to worry about TWS applying discretion to these issues.

Whether their discretion clause is right/wrong, moral/immoral, legal/illegal is almost beside the point; it’s just nice that we don’t have to worry about such things when dealing with TWS! :smiley:

2 Likes