01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

The Rhône Rangers

Ditto, there have been too many good vintages despite such strange weather. I only bought 18 bottles in 2018, all from the north. 6 cornas (tunnel) and 12 c-r (rostaing cb). I remain slightly on edge about the latter.

Just had a minor panic regarding easy drinking (known quantities) wines for the Festive period.
So a mixed case of 12 of these 3 beauties, withdrawn from reserves. :+1: :dragon:

8 Likes

Just wondering if anyone had tried this vintage?

I have 6 in reserves and wondered if it was time to have a go. Nothing recent on CT and JLL doesn’t give much of a clue.

Cheers all

2 Likes

I am not sure, but I would wait 2-3 years to open the first. Maybe CellarTracker has some reviews.

2 Likes

My “rule of thumb” is to leave CDP from a good vintage for seven years before trying. I have a dozen of the 2016 Bosquet des Papes in reserves and won’t pull any out until 2023.

As always this is also a matter of personal taste. Some of my friends prefer CdP in its “full on” youth. Personally I prefer it when more developed.

5 Likes

Another seller has this as 2017-2025 as the drinking window if that helps

1 Like

Much better scores today for the CNDP special cuvees - apparently further evidence that there’s a bigger spread in quality this year than usual, I think because you needed above-average terroir and/or winemaking to cope with the heat.

4 Likes

Agreed. I read the same. Also seems a lot of good but not outstanding CndP, for outstanding you have to do a little research on producers who can manage the heat in the vineyard

Also as with everywhere, the focus on special cuvees means that there are less quality grapes going into the more entry level wines.

Just got tanners Rhone EP email

2 Likes

Just watching this, some very enthusiastic growers talking up the vintage.

2 Likes

Surely not!

Anyone’d think they have something to sell!

6 Likes

The word “possibly” is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that intro :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

It worked for Carlsberg :wink:

1 Like

Not 2015, but I had some 2012 earlier this year and thought it needed a bit more time.

3 Likes

Thanks @tom and everyone else who has opined!

I am going to leave them for another couple of years then!

Incidentally, I was chatting once to Tim Atkin MW and at the time I was dithering about whether to withdraw my 6 bottles of Chasse Spleen ‘09 so I asked him. He asked how many I had, and when I said 6, he gave an almost Gallic shrug and said “try one”.

So I withdrew them and tried one. It was closed and mean. Not much fun at all. Then, I had a ‘lightbulb moment’. Bottle variation. So a couple of months later I opened another one to see if the first was representative of the rest. It was.

So now 6 have become 4. According to some recent CT notes it may be starting to open up. I am still going to hang on for another good few years.

Trying one is a tricky business when it’s your good stuff, no doubt in time I will have lots of better bottles, but I rue adopting a casual approach with those 2 bottles!

7 Likes

Reactions to first bottles of a highly anticipated wine:

20% of the time - I just don’t like it
20% of the time - it’s totally closed, why did I open it this early
20% of the time - this is glorious, why didn’t I buy more
20% of the time - this is great but really needs drinking, why did I buy so much
20% of the time - I have started drinking this at an optimal moment and am really happy to have n bottles which is the exact amount to enjoy seeing how this wine evolves over the next few years

You pays your money…

23 Likes

Which I guess comes back to @Taffy-on-Tour’s point about buying whole cases where possible, so that you have enough to experiment and understand your own preferences for drinking windows. But there is also the old (bottle-variation) adage about there being no such thing as great wine, only great bottles of wine. I’ve certainly had some bottles drunk only a couple of weeks apart from the same case, same storage etc where the first has been amazing, the second very average, and vice versa. Isole e Olena Chianti Classico and Muga Prado Enea were two memorable examples. Which leaves me wondering when to drink the last bottle of 2009 Chave St Joseph. The last one was stunning, but felt like it still had more to give a year ago…just hope it isn’t a disappointment!

7 Likes

I have some time ago, been in your very same situation holding the last bottle.
Then psychologically, my default was to defer and wait for the perfect moment.
Rarely did this strategy bear fruit, far from it and the wine had gone over the top.
Sadly, bottle variation can also raise it’s ugly head and ruin aspirations.
This is the dilemma that we face, now when a wine of mine hits its peak - it gets demolished.
I have learned from my mistakes , even when illogically I repeat them.
It is great when your final bottle, is as you would have wished it.
It is devastating when the moment is missed.
From a wonderful Beaujolais vintage, I purchased 2 expensive (at the time, for me) bottles of Fleurie. We consumed the first bottle, and then I truly understood how the wine got its name. It was utterly gorgeous, but the bouquet was just like being in a Spring garden transporting us from the depths of Winter to quite another place. Unforgettable!!
My mother-in-law was due to visit later that year (maybe 7 months hence) and I kept the 2nd bottle for her visit. When we served the other bottle, it was not faulty or bad wine, it was just a good bottle of Beaujolais, missing the bells, whistles and fireworks of the first one. This happened to me several times with other bottles until I resolved to change.
I offer no advice.
Many of the best lessons that we can learn, come from mistakes.
Even if we have to make the same one, several times over.
So pick your time, there is no right or wrong here.
And when you do pluck that cork, I fervently hope that it lives up to expectations!! :+1: :dragon:

7 Likes

Few bottles of this C9dP with some bottle age available now. Well rated on Cellartracker, also very recently. DrinkRhone also quite positive.

6 Likes