01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

The Rhône Rangers

Whether it gets bought quickly or slowly, the same number of bottles get sold in total and the same number of people do or don’t miss out. The only thing that really makes a difference in that sense is whether individual consumers are buying many cases of a particular wine. If that is a problem, then it would make more sense for TWS to limit numbers of a particular bottle per person (as they already do with some wines) than it would to hide the number of remaining stocks.

I’d also point out that it can be quite helpful to know the amount of stock left. There have been times when I’ve filled out an order with a few cheaper bottles I might not have otherwise bought in order to get an order in on something that I really wanted. If I had known that there was no likelihood of the bottles I wanted imminently selling out, I might have waited a bit longer (and bought less overall).

2 Likes

My view is “Taffy simple!!”
You cannot have enough accurate information regarding a subject.
What you do with that knowledge is up to that person. :dragon:

4 Likes

It makes sense, but I don’t think we’ll reach a consensus here. It’s an open forum, and on this and many matters there’s difference of view - some will welcome the information and some won’t. Some will gladly provide it and others not. As long as it’s not against the rules it can’t really be restricted apart from how one chooses to participate.

Worth pointing out that TWS do often flag low stock on wines which to me isn’t much different. And besides, whether or not someone tells you the stock, or if this forum even exists, there’s always the possibility of something you are interested in selling out before you have the chance or the decision to buy, so if you really really want it, buy!

5 Likes

We may have different views on the subject of mentioning stock levels.

But I’m sorry if you wouldn’t want to say what Guigal’s holdings were/were not prior to its 2017 acquisition.

Not so much because I have a burning need to know. But rather because I wouldn’t have wanted to offend someone by having a different view on a subject.

I’m not sure anybody was ever ‘harmed’ by missing out on the possibility of buying a bottle of wine.

I personally welcome being kept abreast of stock levels for certain things. If I want to buy them and can afford it I will, if I don’t/can’t at that point and they go, well, that’s my problem, not anybody elses.

As has been said before, you snooze, you lose.

Taffy-on-Tour’s comments have been influential in some of the wines I have bought, and in some cases the amount too :grinning:. I value his recommendations based on years of experience etc.

I would not be pressured into buying something like Guigal simply because I have read that it is in short supply. Especially as it is made in vast quantities. If it was something I really wanted anyway, and quite scarce I would welcome a heads up regarding low stock simply to avoid disappointment, which has happened a fair bit in the past.

Keep those comments coming Taffy!

7 Likes

A good shout. I recall staying on the outskirts of Nimes a year or so ago with my wife’s family, and her uncle (who necessarily has an enviable knowledge and collection given his location) was extolling the wines of Laudun as well as Trevaillon when I was asking him to recommend good value wines over a bottle of Ogier Cuvee de L’Hospice CNDP 2013. Said bottle was his prize for winning a run up some hills in the area, now that is a prize worth running for!

Not sure if it’s already been mentioned, but guess what’s back

But hurry, only 117 cases left :wink::grin:!

12 Likes

You are a scamp!! :wink: :+1: :dragon:

13 Likes

And now, quite improbably - 212 cases. :open_mouth:
There are going to be many happy members this Festive Season. :+1: :dragon:

3 Likes

I would suggest the wines selling quickly was maybe more to do with the event with the producer rather than Taffy’s comments on a forum the vast majority of members do not use. I don’t have any issue with knowing the stock levels and I struggle to see why anyone would to be honest.

5 Likes

729 views on YouTube and rising

I’m new to the community & started to read this fantastic thread a few days ago and have finally got to the bottom of it. It’s been very informative and entertaining, so thanks very much. I love Rhone wines and have started some wonderful holidays in the Rhone vinyards for a week or so before hitting the coast.
With the magnificent run of splendid vintages recently I’ve got the impression that I’m not the only one to have stretched myself a little recently on my spending on wine. The recent discussion on Guigal wines has made me ask myself a couple of questions about enjoyment bang for buck and my pallet.
There was a recent but short lived discussion about the variability of the 2016 CDR. As someone said this wine is produced in huge vats by the millions of bottles and understanding mass production usually contributes strongly to uniformity and conformity I would imagine that it’s probably an effect of the pallet over the product. I’ve asked myself many times why does this bottle of whatever wine I 'm drinking tasted better or worse than the last one I had. The last bottle of 2009 Thalabert I drank seemed considerably thinner than those previously enjoyed, which was a bit dissapoining on the night. Maybe this was down to something I ate the day before or had for lunch which killed my taste buds temporarily. It’s good to know I’m not the only one to be suffering this effect.
Getting excited after watching the Marcel Guigal discussion, I almost allowed myself to order a few bottles of the Cote Rotie and some of the CDR 2015. I’m quite proud of myself for managing to abstain thus saving myself another hefty wine bill and adding to the mountain of 2015 & 2016 wines I’ve already bought. An argument I used which helped me here was, would I get 4 times the enjoyment from the Cote Rotie compared o the CDR? I usually drink wine with dinner and I have found that after the first mouthful of food wine changes in flavour hugely, the most noticeable affect being it becomes much sweeter. So the product quality perception has changed as soon as I start to eat. I have therefor asked myself: If the wine critics scored the wine, and lets face it the critics drive the high prices, without food and their pallets are affected similarly to mine, I wonder what scores the wines would get should the wines be tasted with food?
Have I been chucking a lot of money at very enjoyable wines, but degrading the quality by eating while enjoying them? Yet the French boast their wines are made to accompany food. I seem to have talked myself into a cleft stick situation concerning my wine buying policies!!!

12 Likes

I noticed very definite N Rhone characteristics in the CdR in the 1980’s and to a lesser extent in the 1990’s, when the Guigal’s added declassified high quality N Rhone wine to the blend. Of course, the production numbers was far less at that time.
Recently, I will take full responsibility for flagging up the notion, of variability in the 2016 blend. I have tasted several bottles, that truly tasted like mature N Rhone wine. I cannot, nor do I seek to explain this. My palate has had innumerable Rhone wines pass across it, this week the Coudoulet 2014 which was benchmark Southern Rhone with all and more of the garrigue aromas and flavours that one might expect.
Very often when we consume, we just drink and our consciousness takes a back seat.
I have been struck twice, that what I was tasting was hugely atypical of the norm.
I am not looking to ascend a pedestal, far from it; because the Community will forcibly (quite rightly) knock you down from it. And who really wants to make a baseless claim for that to be laughed out of court?? :open_mouth:
To be succinct, on 2 occasions I was drinking N Rhone wine that came from a Guigal CdR bottle, no question. And the food that was around me at the time played no part. I will say that I always decant this wine and consume it over possibly 3 hours. But that methodology will not change it into something far different to the norm. :+1: :dragon:

6 Likes

Nice post. On the food thing. I usually feel that I haven’t judged a wine fairly until I’ve paired it with food. This is especially relevant with red Rhone wines I think.

1 Like

Just been to Tesco for a look at their 25% off six bottles offer. Came across this

Hard to argue with it for £5.25 but got it home and it’s 15% :astonished: Anyone tried this? Who needs Amarone?

3 Likes

Chapoutier does some pretty dodgy gear unfortunately

2 Likes

Agree -not a fan!! :-1: :dragon:

2 Likes

Concerning supermarket 25% reduction bargains. Not really the place to mention it here perhaps being a Rhone forum but…
Sainsbury’s Barbaresco normally a mere £13 a bottle often has a couple of quid knocked off compounded by the 25% reduction when buying 6 makes it a wonderful taster of the Nebbolio grape for £8 a bottle. They are currently selling the 2016. The 2015 was wonderful stuff and the 16 should be better. I’ve bought some but haven’t tried it yet as it’ll probably need another year or 2 in the bottle.

6 Likes

Oh well, for that price it was worth a punt… I used to be a big fan of their Belleruche CdR but one of the selling points was it was light bodied and ~13%!

1 Like