01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

The Rhône Rangers

Just a thought maybe in '19 they bought grapes in from a vineyard they later bought?

Whilst for me, the wine even at £26, it is phenomenal value for money. :dragon:
For context, the Beaucastel Coudoulet is a great CdR, the Clos du Caillou CdR Reserve is another level up. Try a bottle, you WILL BE a convert.
And yes, I did buy a case of the Caillou CDR 2019 AND a case of the Coudoulet 2019. They are both THAT good!! :dragon:

Interesting talk from Pierre Perrin tonight. Unfortunately though the sort of talk that made me very aware of my level of ignorance. I’d never even thought about the different stages of a wine’s evolution being due to the different grapes developing in different ways and at different rates. Blindingly obvious I suppose, but just hadn’t crossed my mind in that particular way before.

3 Likes

Beaucastel Event. :dragon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPfxTrDtdiA

1 Like

JL-L is still busy. This time a load of notes from J-M Gerin, Graillot, Perret and others. Les Grandes Places continues to score highly, and what looks to be a new wine in 2020, a Cote Brune, gets the coveted 6* sell the house treatment. I am hoping one of his next stops is Clusel Roch.

3 Likes

Just pop this here if anyone is interested…

5 Likes

Just for reference…

https://hedonism.co.uk/product/hermitage-blanc-chave-2001

1 Like

I give this another 10mins at best…

It’s a good price vs market but I’ve never really got on with white Rhone. Always just taste fat and flabby to me.

TWS listing says it’s made of syrah!!

Shows you what wine wizards these boys are. Now a red from some Marsanne would be the next challenge.

3 Likes

At least it was limited to one bottle per member.

2 Likes

Haven’t been drinking a lot of wine recently but rather getting stuck into more beer, probably a seasonal thing.
However last night opened and thoroughly enjoyed another of the 2018 Candives. Really lovelly stuff, excellent value and drinking phenominally well at less than 3 years old for a northern Rhone.
Has anyone else had a go at it yet?

1 Like

Today JL-L has written up Levet and Bonneford, neither domaines I am familiar with. Only so much red wine a man can drink!

1 Like

I had one a couple of months back. Just checked my notes and it was nice in a riper style, as per the vintage to be fair. I agree it’s very approachable already, although I found a slight bitterness on the finish, which I felt clashed a little with the sweetness of the fruit, but in general yeah, good stuff, about right for the money and it’ll be interesting to see how it develops.

1 Like

Still a couple of bottles left (JL-L 4.5*). Interestingly, the window he gives is until 2021 (if I’m reading his guidance correctly) but WS is saying it’s good until 2026.

6 Likes

I spotted this and was quite surprised - it is usually over-subscribed EP (I’ve tried a couple of times but never managed to get an allocation from TWS). Sadly not enough available to get me interested - I am only buying unmixed cases to put in reserves right now. Home storage is full to bursting.

2 Likes

This is a fantastic wine, 2021 as an end date is really quite off , it definitely takes a few years for everything to balance out and integrate … I only started on my 2016’s at Christmas …. Haven’t even touched the 2017’s …

3 Likes

Vinous gives this 2016 St Peray 2022 - 2028 :dragon:

2 Likes

Talking of 2017 Rhône whites, has anybody tried either of these yet?

I have a case of each in reserves and was thinking I might start on them next year. Both ready according to TWS but I am wondering if even 2022 might be a bit too soon.

3 Likes