01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

The Rhône Rangers

I had a bottle of the Duclaux CR last week. It’s a good chance to try a mature Cote Rotie at a reaonably price, and the description is pretty accurate. Having said that, I didn’t think it was as interesting or exciting as I’d hope for a wine at that price. I don’t think anyone would regret a bottle, but I certainly wasn’t tempted to reorder.

3 Likes

I had the same experience. It was good, improving to very good over the evening, but it wasn’t exceptional. I had a case of Ogier’s 2011 CR which was outstanding and this wasn’t in the same league - sadly the last was drunk a couple of years ago. I’ve got another bottle of the Duclaux on the rack and will try that in a month or two. Sometimes I feel they need a prolonged rest to recover fully from the shock of the journey!

I had a quick look to see what Ogier CRs are going for now and Corney & Barrow seems to have a single case of 6 of the 2016 for £268 if anybody is tempted! Depressingly I think that is a good deal for CR these days.

I don’t think you need to worry about the drinking window @Tomh as I thought it was a bit better on day 2, despite having had an hour or two in the decanter on day 1.

Jim

8 Likes

I too had a bottle of the Duclaux last weekend. Hint of raspberries on nose. Palate quite different, seemed rather closed and structured still, finishing on a note of highish acidity. Improved significantly as the evening wore on. Last third of bottle next day much better, became more complex and interesting.

This wine, being from the southern end of C-R, has the reputation of being softer, more delicate, earlier maturing. I didn’t get that at all. WS’s drinking window closes in 2022, but JL-L’s review of this wine gives it until (I think) 2026-28. I go with that and will save my other 2 bottles for at least a year, though I don’t have the experience to know for sure whether it will improve further.

Not quite what I expected from the highly rated ‘10 vintage, but a decent and enjoyable experience, priced about right.

9 Likes

How do you think it was holding up? TWS has the window closing in '22 whilst JLL has it for '32. Now I know TWS tend to be conservative but even so that is rather a big difference. I have a bottle which I was thinking I might hold for a year or two yet.

No real hurry as far as I could tell. Held up very well on day 2. However it had begun to develop some bacon type flavours. I’d say 3 years no problem, 5 years probably, 2032 sounds risky to me.

5 Likes

Showed no signs of being OTT to me. Good colour, not falling apart on the palate, tend to agree it will keep for some while and hopefully improve further.

3 Likes

Thanks @NW_passenger and @RogoftheRhone I’ll maybe leave it just a year or two then. I did wonder about '32, a 22 year window for a £36 pound Rhone, even CR, seemed a little optimistic.

I have a bottle of the Duclaux here as well, delivered only last week. Given the notes above, I think I’ll sit on this for a year or so as well, see if it opens up a little more.

4 Likes

Thanks, a very good note, matched my experience exactly. I think there’s better value for £36, but probably not in Cote-Rotie, sadly.

Jim

2 Likes

It’s worth keeping an eye out; back in November Waitrose were doing Guigal Brune et Blonde 2017 for 29.99 which wasn’t a bad deal. I picked up a couple though they’ll need a little patience!

1 Like

Yes, I picked up a case of the 2016 early Jan for the same price per bottle. It was a cracking deal.

1 Like

Speaking of Waitrose and Guigal, the CdR (I think 2017, but you never really know with them) is currently on discount @ £9.59.

Correction, it says 2018.

4 Likes

That is a great price.
I’m patiently waiting for Waitrose Cellar to do halves of Bolly Rose at an appreciable discount.
Last year Asda did some great Bolly deals. :dragon:

1 Like

Waitrose should be due a buy 6 bottles get 25% off on everything offer soon, usually have one before Easter I think!

4 Likes

I shall keep an eye out, but if you spot it - please alert me!! :pray: :+1: :dragon:

1 Like

I sure will! Got my eye on a few nice Bordeaux’s and Burgundy’s, just waiting to pounce haha!

2 Likes

Tesco also have the Guigal CdR which is often discounted to £9-10 at the same time as the blanket 25% off bringing it in at £6.75-7.50 which is ridiculous value in my mind.

5 Likes

2 of these cases have popped up today.

12 Likes

I see this case doubles as a spot-the-odd-one-out game!

3 Likes

This looks to be a terrific case! Were funds infinite I would jump on it!

2 Likes