01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The quarterly Wine List

Mine goes straight in the recycling. I don’t even open the envelope.

I believe being able to set options along these lines is something TWS is planning to work on when they get a spare second or two.

Thanks for this information - good to read!

You can opt out of all or nothing, but only via contacting member services.

Many thanks - I will contact the Membership team.

I think that mailing preferences is an area where they are rather behind. I opted out of the paper mailings almost as soon as I joined because I can’t get through wine (or at least afford to!) at anything like the rate they sent me mailings. But as szaki1974 says, its all or nothing. I do really like he A3 newsletter but you can’t just get that.

Congratulations: New Member(s) of the Month

I want to re-open this discussion, since I am not aware of the view of The Management about the topic. I am aware it may have been started by Mitch (staff) in April 2018 and added to by Gordianus in September 2108.
I feel that the printed quarterly List, while always attractive to look at and interesting to read through, is a luxury that may be becoming too costly to produce on a quarterly basis? I use the regular information/promotional sheets that are published, as well as regular use of the web site, so The List is now rarely considered when making decisins about wines to buy.
I am aware that a significant minority(?) of members may not have, or wish to have, access to the web site and for them The List is essential, but can we not reach an accommodation with those of us who would choose to exclude receipt of this weighty List, by extending the opt-out options for the delivery of material from Stevenage?

At the moment my understanding is that you opt out one, you opt out all printed mailings. If that’s what you want just tell them!

Perhaps @laura can confirm, and also advise whether there are any plans for selective opt ins/outs for mailings, though I imagine that might not be a priority.

Personally if one is ordering online then I don’t see why you would not do this, as all is available on the website for you. I know people will quote convenience, but imho that is selfish and these are the kinds of small things that people (myself included) could do to make things better (none of these in isolation will change the world, but if we are more conscious about are every day actions that must be a good thing). Those who are not online (I understand it is still a significant percentage), do need these lists and should be allowed to have a choice of what mailings they want and what they don’t. There… that is my rant over, feel free to disagree

I enjoy reading the printed list I can take it with me and read in all sorts of places, on a dog walk, on the train and on the loo even.

I like it too (though I wish they wouldn’t send me all the flyers on cheapies, when I never buy wine under £10). I get increasing pleasure from looking at anything that isn’t a screen.

Hello, Mark!

Great question - and actually, we’re fairly flexible when it comes to paper mailing preferences (probably more so than emails, anyway). You can opt in/out to a few different categories at the moment (e.g you can receive only Lists, or you can exclude Lists entirely!) - your best bet is to contact Member Services and they can try to set up your preferences as accurately as possible. We do use an external mailing house though, so it can take up to 4-6 weeks for your preferences to be fully enacted, depending on what offers we’re preparing for mailing at the time of your request.

We are working on a more flexible mailing preference centre too, but it’s a really big project - more on that next year, I believe. :smiley:

Hope this helps!

I do buy wine under £10 but i dont buy offers . I just buy mixed 12s of my choice. I only drink with food . I have found that their are some good wines under £10 I tend to buy up to £15 a bottle. However I recently purchased a bottle of Port for £38. We-two of us - drink two bottles of wine a week with meals usually spread over Thursday Sat sunday and Monday. I fast on Fridays and Tuesday. I eat less 600 calories on those days so dont drink wine.
I Lke the lists but the special offeres on separate leaflets do nothing for me.

I was, as I always am, excited when the thick envelope with the new list thumped onto my doormat.

I read through it, looking for the new entries.

I find it a lot easier to use when looking for wines of one region or country than the website.

I like being tempted by the glossy offers in each mailing.

I keep the paper-backed size list, and frequently refer to it.

I keep the lists . I wonder if anyone else does and how far their colection goes back.

At the AGM, we were promised a more flexible scheme by this autumn…

From the 2019 AGM minutes…

"The CEO confirmed that the balance of mail and email would be looked at when the website
is re‐platformed. The aim was to allow members to have choice on how The Society
communicates with them and to put them in control of this. This would help to reduce costs.
However, it would take some time to put this in place, possibly around **September 2020.
The CEO asked members to bear with management in the meantime. "

Wrong autumn I think…

I’m not sure that is an accurate record. And it is certainly not the first time we have had a promise that something would be done (see other threads here).

So the written AGM minutes are wrong then?

such is the power of the minute secretary and the chairman, who approves them before they are circulated….

They’re not wrong, they merely reflect what should have been said, not necessarily what was said. :slight_smile:

….such memories of corporate life