01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

The perfect picnic

The perfect picnic is not just three bottles of wine.
What would go in yours?

4 Likes

Four bottles of wine

17 Likes

A chauffeur so I can drink whenever I get to the perfect location.

A bottle of lightly chilled quality Beaujolais, a Greek salad and grilled chicken breast, a not excessively tart lemon cheesecake for pudding, and some soft cheeses.

Proper plates and cutlery.

A bottle of coke to be left in the car and drunk when it has reached the temperature of the Sun as a nostalgia trip on the journey home.

14 Likes

A brown wholemeal cheese sandwich. The bread has to be a dense homemade loaf and not any Hovis dross. French unsalted butter, only Lescure or Echiré, and the cheese must be sliced not grated. No nasty pickle. A bottle of San Pellegrino plus a proper chair to sit on and not a blanket on damp grass. Alcohol is out completely. A green apple to finish with.

4 Likes

A perfect picnic involves some good ripe French cheese, proper crusty bread and a bottle of Ardanza with a suitable amount of age.

All else is either optional or superfluous :smiley:

7 Likes

To this I’d add smoked duck and fig salad and a bottle of slightly chilled Marcillac… Bring on the summer! :sunglasses:

7 Likes

This did the trick for us last year. Beautiful setting under an old oak tree, looking over the vines. Gorgeous charcuterie picnic. And bubbles so good that we had to order more. The bike ride back to the station was entertaining…

5 Likes

I wish I hadn’t read this. Now I want to have a picnic.

I always associate picnics with warm, sunny weather and crisp white wine. I’m thinking that will be far too long a wait, so need to plan a cold-weather version, probably involving something fortified.

2 Likes

Pork pie and something bubbly from plastic glasses.

Almost felt a bit teary remembering the joy of picnics. Can’t wait!

8 Likes

Humans.

Make of that what you will!

4 Likes

Summer at Glyndebourne:
Laying the table:

Canapes and champagne:

Carving the beef fillet:

And then there’s the wonderful opera on top of that!

11 Likes

Which opera did you see?

Have seen many over the years but in 2019 (2020 was cancelled! boo hoo!) saw Handel’s Rinaldo, Massenet’s Cendrillon and Mozart’s Magic Flute. All fantastic productions and excellent cast (Jakub Josef Orlinski as Rinaldo was brilliant)

1 Like

Last one I saw was the wonderful Tristan und Isolde. Magical.

2 Likes

bottle of St Nic de B - along with some charcuterie, pate, cheeses…and if in the UK a pork pie

5 Likes

But so much more relaxing to eat in their restaurant.

Mine would include:
Champagne
Probably a riesling
Pork pies
Cheesecake
A good friend
The top tier of the Warner Stand at Lord’s on the first day of a Test match

6 Likes

Having made sure you don’t drink so much you fall asleep during the performance😉

Last time there we saw the final rehearsal for La Clemenza di Tito in 2017.

My cousin, on the left, is in the chorus and occasionally gives us her two allocated tickets. Have been to proper performances too but we prefer the final dress rehearsals as they are more relaxed affairs. The very best thing we saw was Handel’s Saul ( not Samson!) - absolutely stunning.

3 Likes

Just in case anyone is seeking inspiration, Picnic like a boss
(Seen via Gus Gluck’s Instagram)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMC2sprnxTX/?igshid=1tx3nfsbfdmnz

That’s my sort of picnic! Maybe first day of the ashes at Lords could make it better!

1 Like