01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

The North-South divide

Many apologies if I am sowing division and strife, but I laughed quite a lot upon reading this and simply had to share:

7 Likes

Oh no… we now have to listen to people complaining about how Lidl has less wine variety and how there are so few TWS events. :wink:

4 Likes

The local Lidl to us as had Cantenac Brown, Sociando Mallet, Royal Tokaji… no complaints here! :grinning:

4 Likes

I live in sunny Southport (in the north for those who live south of Watford :grinning:) but come from Coventry, which is neither Southern or Northern. Does that mean I don’t qualify to be called ‘northern scum’ or ‘southern scum’ ?

Or does it just mean I am not allowed an opinion :grinning:?

On a serious note if you listen to the media the whole country is now totally f#&£ed up anyway

2 Likes

Oh no, what have I started

Yes I fear that the flat capped ferret fancying masses have now been unleashed…

1 Like

Too right. I’ve just finished a 12 hour shift teaching ferrets to sew flat caps. Nearly spat my breakfast lump of coal out reading the article.

Wow that’s a good Lidl, never seen anything remotely like that in ours. Is yours the Windsor branch? :wink:

9 Likes

I’ll have you know that I’ve never, ever fancied a ferret with or without a flat cap on!

Or as Oppenheimer famously quoted “Now, I am become death, the destroyer of worlds”

3 Likes

You’ve visited Yorkshire recently then?

1 Like

Bet you’re in the “South” :rofl:

1 Like

Still significantly north of Watford Gap though!

1 Like

What is this “outside of the M25” of which you speak? Have you not all been eaten by dragons or something?

6 Likes

M25 - isn’t that the proposed site for the Trump like wall that is being planned for when London is declared a separate state :grinning:?

3 Likes

I think so, but I’m not sure which side of the wall is building it!

4 Likes

This is problematic. I now live in West Yorkshire but come from Glasgow. Yorkshire is very much t’north but is amazingnly south to me. But if I’m going to identify a bit, it’ll be with the North. But then, when I see someone with an England flag or shirt the whole thing falls apart as I think they’re taking the…mickey, then I realise… I’m living in… England. So they have a perfect right. Still rankles though. Don’t mind a Yorkshire flag.

Mind you, to Orcadians and Shetlanders we’re all Southerners.

6 Likes

I’ll add that t’north is filled with good pubs. I lived in Oxford for a while. That was either some unbearably posh and obnoxious University student types, or some seriously fighty Townies. But, to be fair, there were a lot of people at the University and colleges who didn’t quite fit in to that mold (and didn’t fit in sometimes) and there was the Cowley Road and Jericho, where the more bohemian element lived, including Thom Yorke with his reused Sainsburies’ bag I used to see around…

I’ve heard Southern beach towns are quite fighty, as is the whole of Kent. But I really don’t know.

2 Likes

That’s as much a stereotype as saying Glasgow and Yorkshire are quite fighty. Are there bits of both which are? Of course there are, but there’s also plenty of bits that are really nice.

1 Like

Strawpig, has hit the nail on the head. There are contrastingly beautiful and horrible places in virtually every region of the UK with people to match.

The real divide is wealth, but I am going to leave that well alone on here.

2 Likes

@strawpig is quite right. I don’t think it’s only about social class - unfortunately the wealthy at play can be pretty unpleasant. Just not arrested as much for some reason. :slight_smile:

The North has humour, a reasonable directness I enjoy and oven-bottom muffins. Which turn out to come from Lancashire. With bacon and a tattie scone (the Scottish touch) they are amazing. Though my poor, poor arteries.

3 Likes

You see, now you’ve gone and done it haven’t you…

1 Like