01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Italian Inquirer

I hesitate to draw peoples attention to this one as I really can’t put in an order for a few weeks! But I’m not sure it’s one that will sell out that fast (I hope). However for those that have tried these before I’ve just noticed this Rosso di Toscana Vecchia Annata, Villa di Vetrice 2006 appear on the site (might have been there for a while but I’ve not noticed it). Those who’ve had this before will be aware of it’s slightly strange qualities; it is a Chianti Rufina in all but name. As I understand it is denied the name as it has been aged too long in barrel.

Regardless it is a lovely soft sangiovese with loads going on. It’s already 15 years old and just £23! Last time it was listed it was marketed as “Grato Grati Rosso Toscana Vecchia Annata Villa di Vetrice”

7 Likes

Interesting you mention this wine - I’ve been trying to find out a bit more about it on & off over the past week but not found much to go on. A good 'un, you’d say?

I think so! It used to be labelled as Grato Grati and you might find comment on that with a bit of googling. My understanding is that it is a Chianti Rufina that has been aged in barrel for too long to actually be labelled with that name.

2 Likes

I’ve had 4 bottles of it so far, and it’s lovely. Very mellow flavours; a slippers and dressing gown sort of wine.

4 Likes

Good description! It caresses you throat as you swallow!

No it doesn’t; it’s horrible; you don’t want any. Seriously… no one should buy any! :wink:

2 Likes

MWW used to sell it. Very drinkable if you like very mature wine.

3 Likes

They still have the 1998 - I had a bottle and to my tastes it was ailing. Of course 2006 is likely to be a different story.

1 Like

I had a 1998 in 2020 and thought it was showing it’s age but the 2006 should be good; I had one in July this year and it was lovely.

2 Likes

I’ve had several of the 1999 (don’t think I saw 1998 for sale) and the 2006 was noticeably better, I thought. It had more life to it.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth I tried a bottle each of the 1999 and 2006, and thought they were perfectly pleasant but completely undistinguished (and that I could spend £20 odd much better). There was a prior thread:

Edited to note that I just pulled up the order containing these, and that order contained a lot of really excellent bottles of cheaper red (or in one case £1 more expensive): Spice Route Chakalaka 2015, Foundry Syrah 2012, Hatzidakis Mavrotragano 2011, Villard Poivre et Sol St Joseph 2010 and Brundlmayer PN 2016. That may have coloured my view of the Grato Grati - altogether looks to have been one of my better orders.

4 Likes

Had a couple of minutes excitement today. Looking through My Wines was startled to see GB Burlotto 2016s. I’d put in for them and was unsuccessful. Yet there they are… am I such an incompetent that I’d not noticed my good fortune? Quick check of My Reserves and back to reality. Still it was a nice few minutes.

Was actually looking at this,
https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/barolo-pio-cesare-2015
Wondering about the modest sized drink window. It’s part of a mixed case with the others all going in 2030 and beyond. Rather hoping this will last that long too.

1 Like

Cellar tracker have the drinking window through to '33

2 Likes

1 Like

Much obliged to you both. Will go back to ignoring the case for another 5 years.

3 Likes

Starting to read about 2018 in Barolo. As if it wasn’t a wine to buy already, Franco Massolino has decided to not make Cru wines this year, so the fruit from Parafada and Parussi are going into the classico for this vintage.

The obvious flip side to this is that it’s because it’s not a great vintage. Not too hot but very dry seems to be the theme. Not very fruity or age worthy apparently.

4 Likes

BUT, lots of early drinking, lighter-on-the-tannin and more accessible Barolo to throat whilst your better vintages slumber (including that delicious Massolino blend). No bad thing to my mind!

4 Likes

I am probably just going to go ham on the Massolino and enter the Burlottory. (Famous last words).

4 Likes

I am thinking (hoping) that ‘18s may be quite to my taste in many ways. Massagnheti said it was the rainiest total season since 2002, although the rain was concentrated in the earlier part of the season. However rain during the summer was frequent (in terms of number of days of rain) but below average in terms of quantity of rainfall, adding quite some disease pressure. Harvest was slightly later than average, but some producers harvested earlier than otherwise due to rain forecast which did not materialise.

My hope (wish!) is for elegant, cool and pure fruited wines in a slightly lighter style. Let’s see what we get. I am must excited to try Burlotto’s new Castelletto cru wine which will make it’s debut in this vintage.

EDIT - just to add, the few Langhe Nebbiolo ‘18s I have had have been good to very good.

7 Likes

I’ve had 3 bottles from 2018 in Piedmont - a Vajra Langhe Nebbiolo, a Manfredi Nebbiolo d’Alba and a Castello Di Verduno Pelaverga, and on the whole I find them a little ‘mean’ - the Manfredi was quite nice, but it feels like they lack freshness, or something.

Whether 3 bottles is really enough to be drawing conclusions is perhaps moot, but I suspect unless pricing improves, I’m not sure whether my money is just better spent on other wines - there are plenty out their to divide out attention! - or indeed just other vintages. I’ll see how keenly TWS price their EP offer and take it from there :smiley:

2 Likes

Any early signs on '18 pricing?