01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Italian Inquirer

A few of the Taurasi Riserva Piano di Montevergine Feudi di San Gregorio 2013 seem to have appeared again this morning.

2 Likes

and gone again

Querciabella Chianti Classico 2018 is a great buy in the Waitrose Cellar sale which started this morning. £15 a bottle with the 25% reduction for 6.

5 Likes

Wow! Great price for that wine. I’ve just bought 12.

Thanks v much for the tip.

Added one to my order to try, thanks @GWills

Back in stock from the Christmas list…

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/magnum-of-nebbiolo-langhe-gd-vajra-2018

4 Likes

Reviews on some recent Barbaresco vintages from Ian D’Agata here. A long read, lots of names and wines to look out for:

4 Likes

I’ve been reading it most of the day (and thanks for posting by the way), but I found the slightly condescending tone interesting. I’m wondering - out loud - whether the ‘Listen, I know what I’m talking about’ theme may have been precipitated by, amongst other things, what seems to be a bit of an ongoing debate on CT about whether the 2016 vintage really is all that, or whether wine writers are simply conduits for winemakers sales-pitches. I say this, because the same tone seems to have been adopted there I know what I’m talking about.

In the round, I suppose this shouldn’t irritate me too much, but, despite having a lot of time for Ian D’Agata (for the record I think his knowledge is excellent, but that he tends to recommend slightly bigger wines, particularly EP, than I tend to like), I don’t think it sits well to treat your audience like children. Sometimes, no matter how deep the knowledge and how well-researched the vintage, people just won’t like the wines.

4 Likes

Yes he really strained the point. I wouldn’t know who it was aimed at, but it seemed quite strange to stress his credentials quite so strongly.

1 Like

He’s amazing. He told us.

5 Likes

I also respect rather than like him. He has an odd habit of making over-definitive pronouncements, too - “this is certainly one of the 30 best vineyards in Alsace”, etc etc

1 Like

Founded in 2020, TerroirSense is an independent terroir-driven wine and food review website with Chinese-English bilingual versions.

1 Like

The Chinese market I think - within the article he says he recently moved to Shanghai.

This is promising…

9 Likes

Yeah, looks like she’s been having a fantastic trip so far, I’m sure she’ll have found a few tasty treats for us.

3 Likes

Ooh - encouraging news indeed!

But where are the 2016 Fontodi big guns, eh…? That’s what I want to know.

3 Likes

No no they can wait until the Spring! This is an expensive time of the year as it is; I’m in no hurry.

5 Likes

Good point!

Are we to assume 2018 vintage tastings?

Or an expansion of the Rocche Costamagna offering? (He says in hope…)

2 Likes

I can see one of the bottles says “2018 Barolo”. I very much hope an expansion…

3 Likes