01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

The Italian Inquirer

It’s still pretty widely available elsewhere. Maybe at a slight premium but not much. Definitely less convenient than having it in my reserves here though.

3 Likes

Anyone have any insights into the drinkability of 2007 Barolo?

1 Like

I’ve only had one (a Massolino) about this time last year, but it was definitely starting to do the things that aged Barolo does, but also had plenty of life left in it. Definitely drinkable, but not in any rush.

3 Likes

Hot vintage, should be drinking now, and certainly before 2006 and 2008 either side of it.

Can I enquire as to the bottle? Producer and location are very important in Piedmont.

3 Likes

I have this which I was considering when it might get it’s day

2 Likes

Thank goodness for that! I was worried I might end up buying some. When something like that sells out before I can get it, the sense of relief is at least as much as the sense of regret :no_mouth:

9 Likes

Conterno Cascina Francia

Jesus!

Ok, thats not just any old 2007. I suspect you could drink that for years.

I’m sorry @winechief, you’re not quite in the same league here :joy:

4 Likes

Don’t touch that for at least 5 more years.

2 Likes

I’ve six of them. Might take one for the team :wink:

7 Likes

That’s cool. So I should drink mine then?

Probably. And close your eyes and think of @Oldandintheway 's bottle :sunglasses:

3 Likes

All 2016 Barbarescos now gone.

A pity as I was hoping to try a couple of the Paitins next month - I have no knowledge of the producer, but checking their website piqued my interest. Ah well, saves a bit of cash :smiley:

3 Likes

My intention was to build up a stash of great Italian wine and I used Fontodi 2013 and 2016 as my vehicles , as well as Barolo / Produttori 2016. That’s probably me done as they will need a decade or more in cellar. Better to concentrate on Rhone and Burgundy with a smidge of Champagne and Bordeaux thrown in. Unless of course, another 2016 peeks over the parapet!! :wink: :dragon:

3 Likes

If anyone is interested (!?!) I’ve just received an email for the 2016 Mascarello Monprivato @ £750/6 IB.

I’ve never had it - but bear in mind that the Wine Enthusiast’s Kerin O’Keefe rates the 2016 at the same level (99/100) as the Cavalotto Bricco Boschis (one presumes the Riserva wines will score 101 then?) - so rest easy those who bought from TWS! :grinning:

2 Likes

Ooh - who from, may I ask?

1 Like

Asset wines

2 Likes

I’m surprised nobody’s done that yet.

7 Likes

Actually, I seem to remember … hang on lemme check …

… yep, Broadbent gave the '53 Lafite six stars out of five :star2: :star2: :star2: :star2: :star2: :star2:

5 Likes

Anyway, and rather more prosaically - but probably more economically advantageous than Mascarello - I’ve had some visitors today…

First of the 2016 Barolo/Barbaresco into the racks :smiley:

17 Likes