01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

The Home Schooling Sanity Thread

I think we’re in a Double Bind situation with schools at the moment. (Basically they’re acting one way, and speaking another).

Schools are saying all sorts of nice things like ‘be kind to yourselves’, ‘remember your mental health’ but are also under a lot of pressure for the Government to tick boxes and act as if the pandemic hasn’t happened. So schools are caught in the middle and are ending up acting in an almost psychotic fashion, saying one thing but acting in a completely contradictory one, piling on Zooms and work. We’re in an insane situation. I’m sure the teachers and staff are also suffering.

Maybe, in all this, understanding that the situation is insane might help - and I think your daughter might be picking up on this. Maybe this will help that it’s not her, but the situation.

7 Likes

Yes, there’s definitely some of this going on at the moment.

She uses books from these guys

They are fairly workmanlike (of no visual interest whatsoever) but well laid-out. Books of all sorts for all ages and quite a lot of free resources on their website to print off. She is in Year 5 and has a mental arithmetic and fractions book.
4 Likes

@Leah Although not purely maths, as it often includes physics or biology too, I find utterly thrilling some of the facts about the world around us. My favourite of the moment (courtesy of Sir David Attenborough) would be to tell your daughter that the daylight that allows her to see something outside was 93 million miles away just 8 minutes (and 20 seconds!) ago.

From there you could illustrate how maths is used in the world around us - surely more likely to excite her than her dry homework. Only a parent can judge their own child’s interest level, but you never know what sparks a lifetime fascination.

3 Likes

Thanks @Inbar for your insight and thanks for all the suggestions @Grimpeur, @Brocklehurstj and @VinoVeritas

I think you’ve really hit the nail on the head here, already this morning she’s sat throuh another episode of speed maths, her inbox is full and has already been asked to do 2 EXTRA special challenges on top of the weeks work. Oh and the school has made a big deal about it being "mental health week " ha… its laughable.
Anyway, you lovely lot have filled me with more confidence that ultimately she is the most important person in all this and I’m going to take a more holistic approach to her learning now with switching it up and watching and doing more interesting things to engage her brain rather than sitting in front of a screen 12 hours a day.
Thanks everyone :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.

7 Likes

The title of this thread is riddled with contradictions.

2 Likes

It’s an oxymoron, isn’t it?

3 Likes

There’s certainly an invisible knowing wink in the thread title…! :laughing:

Sometimes an unplanned gap appears in their timetable, for example if there’s some pointlessly prescriptive Victorian grammatical nonsense, I’ll do the bare minimum or skip it entirely for something completely different, such as…

I plonked them in front of episode one this morning. At that age, it always helps to have a namesake, so one of the girls was thrilled at ‘Doctor Hannah’, especially one with matching hair colour, and The Boy loves maths anyway, so this all helped as well.

I’ll play the second episode next time there’s a syllabus facepalm.

3 Likes

I must say, I totally admire you lot with young children, trying to homeschool amidst all this chaos, and in some cases having to balance paid work as well (though we all know that parenting is the hardest work there is!). I have no idea how I would have coped if my daughter was still small… thankfully, no such challenge with A-Levels.

Hats off to you! :star_struck: :clap:

6 Likes

just to say - bored now!

1 Like

I know everything’s topsy-turvy because now I actually look forward to the half-term break… :persevere:

8 Likes

5 Likes

My 8 year old needs to lose her bad attitude to home schooling today… however, I really think the government should have held off until after Easter to get the kids back.
I can see another surge coming and I’m not sure I can take another lockdown :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

going back after easter would mean 7 more weeks of virus reduction and 7 more weeks of vaccinations - of which teachers should be at the top of the list if they want all the germ ridden oiks (sorry pupils) to return

4 Likes

Agreed :+1:

1 Like

Back from half-term break, refreshed & ready for learning action, and I lost the will to live at approximately 09:41.

7 Likes

Yesterday morning was a total horror show. Weirdly, however, today was an absolute dream. Everything done by lunch, first time in a year!

4 Likes

We’re often done by lunch, but the word ‘everything’ doesn’t often feature :laughing:

5 Likes

Yes, done-in, done for and nearly who-dunnit on many an occasion. Earned a 2 hour walk to the rope swings and back (which was regarded as a positive).

3 Likes

was that you or the kids that earned the walk and swings ?!

1 Like

All of us :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like