01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

The Home Schooling Sanity Thread

Oh man.

How’s that working out for the rest of you with school-age children?

The Eldest is in year 8 and fair play to her, she gets up every morning and cracks on with whatever is on her timetable, working through till lunch, often swapping advice with her mates online. She’s pretty self-sufficient.

But we’ve got two year 1s and a year 2 as well. We’re just doing mornings, with non-screen-related play after lunch. Their primary school gave them a big pack of worksheets to be getting on with but I think they’re gonna run out by the end of the week, which means actually having to find work for them to do :grimacing:

I understand twinkl has lifted its paywall, although just printing out endless worksheets sounds a little depressing.

Has anyone ventured into the creative world of post-worksheet learning yet…?

We watched this video together today, and it held their attention surprisingly well:

It’s pretty much entirely in the target language, which is my personal preference, and strikes a nice balance regarding topics, time between words for repetition, etc.

Twin #2 has requested a German lesson, which I could probably prepare myself if I could be arsed, but I’ll probably end up hunting around on Youtube for something similar instead.

What has/hasn’t worked for you?

7 Likes

Useful fraction help here :wink: https://www.facebook.com/679257101/posts/10156684491242102/?sfnsn=scwspwa&d=w&vh=i&extid=KlqR1i98FlJHPQ4h&d=w&vh=i

5 Likes

Also, just to add, my kids didn’t get any resources or homework as we were away and nothing has been sent, theyre still jetlagged but my daughter I currently writing a story on Panda bears.
I’ve just seen Carol Vorderman has released her “the maths factor” for free but there is problems signing u due to high demand.

3 Likes

12 Likes

Did you get the Ruth Miskin Youtube phonics videos (for year 1s). Keeps my daughter occupied for 45 minutes each day.

2 Likes

Another approach!

5 Likes

I’m hiding phonics cards round the garden and making him find and read them to me.

2 Likes

Art lesson?

9 Likes

Jolly phonics is on YouTube … good for little ones :+1:

2 Likes

One for you @Herbster with your brood! Clothes Are optional :rofl::rofl::rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl: https://www.facebook.com/1319280111/posts/3930064932942/?sfnsn=scwspwa&d=w&vh=i&extid=f7eqY9Jemz7ABYzK&d=w&vh=i

4 Likes

3 and a 4 year old here with one on the way in June, whose scans I can no longer attend. More immediate is a pause in a loft conversion, resulting in a hole in the roof.

The days looking after the children… The nights holding an umbrella above the hole… what more could we have hoped for as prospective parents?

https://www.teachyourmonstertoread.com/ Has been useful.

Disney plus launching also useful.

Kitchen discos to physically exercise them.

I’m surprisingly feeling ok about it all on the basis there’s a lot of people doing a hole lot worse.

5 Likes

Thought you might be interested in teacher’s perspective (Mme Lapin is a asst. head). Taking it in turns 2 weeks working at home/ 1 week physically at school because the NHS kids and other essentials still have to be looked after at the school.

Whilst at home it’s full-on e-mailing schemes of work to kids, responding to quieries at all hours, keepin the whole thing rolling. And those meetings that school staff do are now zoom etc. Basically they are doing their best.

At Easter - it still has to happen.

Strange times.

6 Likes

very similar here - wife is a dept head at a large secondary.

She has been told not to go in - she’s doing timetable for September as well as setting all cover for her subject (no other available staff) and in daily contact with the students…she’ s also our home school head!

My year 5 son is on standard school timetable albeit with a few tweaks - Joe wickes for PE. David Walliams for reading and Steve Backshall for topic! He was supplied with plenty of work and his topic for after Easter is Allotment…which is handy (see my posts in the “herbs” thread)

School is now closed for the weekend and he’s flat out on the sofa watching Cars !

3 Likes

Joe Wickes for on line PE at 9am weekdays.
my next door neighbours either side are doing it with their kids - apparently its exhausting. you need to wear proper supportive clothing…
teach them home economics like cleaning, tidying, cooking fun things as well as meals
local wildlife walks, looking at how nature is bursting into life, stop to look at the birds etc
listen the birdsong, and other nature sounds while the cars aren’t around so much
watch some of the David Attenborough wildlife series - they are all on iPlayer.
talk about current affairs. this is a great way to learn about hygiene and why hand washing is so important.
education doesn’t just consist of school work :slight_smile:

5 Likes

In the absence of any structured guidance from school, other than the simple instruction to “lower your expectations, and make sure you and they remain happy” I ordered two ukeleles on Monday, one each for the 5 year old and me.

They arrived on Wednesday, and we started learning “somewhere over the rainbow” yesterday… we’ll be virtuosos by the time the lockdown lifts!

10 Likes

Do you want an Agent?

4 Likes

Hi, one thing I’d like to share is about the ‘contact time’ you have with your kid if you are home schooling. If you are 1-1 with them, you should understand that this is far more intensive a style of lesson than the usual class situation - so rather than attempting to do normal class hours, one or two hours of that will do great. I’m doing fractions with my 6 year old and we’ve made some progress in the week, but I’ve got to learn to dial back my expectations and remember she’s so young. I’ve only ever taught Masters and PhD students. But their brains are hungry things, and if you can hit them with two or 3 ways to conceptualise something it really helps. I’m feeling my way in the dark though.

6 Likes

So after Thursday’s German lesson, Twin #1 immediately requested a Polish lesson for Friday. Err … umm. Thanks again, Youtube, from this lazy teacher.

So we all did a bit of learning there…! Now I know a handful of animals, numbers and greetings in Polish. But I’ve completely forgotten the colours already.

We’ll do it again next week though - French on one day, then German then Polish. Why not.

Maybe I’ll teach them the Arabic alphabet next. That’ll melt their brains.

It doesn’t exhaust my children at all. But only because, after about 30 seconds, “I can’t do it” and “my legs are tired” and “I’m sleepy now”, and then they just watch me do it instead.

Never mind. They’ve got the bikes and the trampoline, and I’ve got Joe Wicks. My new man crush.

10 Likes

Today’s YouTube gift was a couple of easy origami horses… and everyone knows horses need a field, hay, water etc…it’s become a full-on project. They’re expensive to maintain too!

5 Likes

Oh yes! That’ll keep them occupied…! :+1:
Just working out that the “h” letter equivalent can be written in four different ways, depending on where it is located in the word, is a week’s worth of brain work…! :smile:

2 Likes