01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The (Greek) Wine Society

Julia Harding MW (on behalf of JancisRobinson.com) tasted it back in September and gave it a pretty good write up (with a 16/20 score):

Stony citrus. Subtle aroma. A very good example at a good price (especially given the current price of grapes on the island). Dry, stony, even chalky, and with piercingly fresh citrus fruit. Mouth-wateringly dry, long too, especially at this price, even if not for ageing. GV (JH)

Edit: I’ve just seen that this review is included on the TWS page itself.

5 Likes

Now at the new improved introductory offer price of £13.25

3 Likes

Good spot! Although an interesting bug in the new website - still in my basket at higher price, even when I adjust the quantity.

1 Like

Yeah same. I had to delete it out and re-add back in.

1 Like

I jumped straight on a case of this to reserves earlier this morning - Santorini Assyrtiko for under £15 … never thought I’d see that again!

Is this going to be a regular Exhibition offering, I wonder? I really hope so, and assuming it’s proper Karamolegos quality, it’ll be a winner I’m sure.

Hats off to the WS for this one :~}

6 Likes

Anybody cracked a bottle of the Bin #5 recently?

I still have mine in reserves, but over Christmas I had a bottle of 2017 Thymiopoulos at a restaurant, I’m pretty sure it was the Naoussea cuve. I asked if I could get it decanted as I’ve found this helps with the '18’s I’ve been guzzling over the last year, but was assured it didn’t need it - and they were right.

Given that TWS drinking date is '28 (same as the '18) I was suprised how evolved it seemed, very smooth, easy drinking and not particularly tannic.

On this basis I’m thinking I should get mine out, but would be good to have more to base this on than this single bottle.

1 Like

Not recently

I’m planning on removing some bottles at some point in the first half of this year, mostly due to impatience.

2 Likes

Cheers. I thought I remembered someone saying they were a little chewy at some point, so I was really surprised at the one I had. The family thought it was pinot noir!

I thorough enjoyed it, but who knows where they got it from or how it had been stored, so it may not have been a particularly good reference point.

Took 1 out of reserve to drink with the 2018 this year. I’m stupidly doing dry January so going to wait a few more weeks before I can try it again.

Managed to get some Magnums as well about a year ago, they will stay untouched for a couple more years at least.

3 Likes

Hah. I was also on dry Jan, lasted one week. Now on semi-dry Jan* (Sun - Fri only)! Let’s see how long that lasts…

3 Likes

Starting to irritate me but I’m determined to see it through. Trying to restrict the drinking during the week once it ends and I said to myself no wine until the weekends but I saw dry January ends in a Monday….no way I’m doing January plus 4 days!!!

Dry january hasn’t stopped me buying wine!

5 Likes

Got to have something to do with your hands while not holding a wine glass!

1 Like

We’ve definitely opened one bottle of the #5, although it may be two (I confuse myself with all the Thymiopoulos’ Cuvées tbh sometimes). As I recall it, it’s perfectly approachable now, but it’s probably going to be better with a couple more years under it’s belt (seems a bit denser than the '18 Dalamara we had recently, for example).

4 Likes

I had a bottle on Sunday funnily enough.
A real wine lovers wine, not necessarily crowd pleasing but very complex and rewarding.

I thought it was still a little gruff upon opening and decanting it definitely helped open up that enticing floral and pine tree bouquet and tame the tannins.
I think there’s no rush in opening these, as Tannatastic says.

6 Likes

Thanks Hamish. Maybe I can resist for another year then.

2 Likes

Good to know - that sounds much more like what I expected. Thanks.