01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

The (Greek) Wine Society

…and VERY good the M and S is too,

Who else spotted Victoria Moore waxing lyrical about Xinomavro this weekend ? Encouragingly / dishearteningly - delete as applicable - she name checked TWS several times, including 2 of the 3 recommended wines were TWS.

Apparently “TWS members would claim to have been onto it for a while”

Alas I fear Xinomavro is destined to be the new Pinot Grigio…

8 Likes

She was one of the several press people who were on the online Greek tasting off their own backs.

I really hope you’re wrong about Xinomavro becoming another Pinot Grigio, but I share your fear!

2 Likes

I very much doubt Xinomavro becoming Pinot Grigio.

Nebbiolo or Pinot Noir prices forcing people into the market for it, and therefore pushing up prices, is a much more likely outcome.

7 Likes

https://www.aldi.co.uk/greek-assyrtiko/p/709994468242400

I know it’s not TWS… But looks like a great deal.

1 Like

Already been reviewed by @SteveSlatcher. I’ve had a couple of bottles and thought it a decent enough midweek quaffing wine.

2 Likes

None in my local Aldi yesterday.

1 Like

I bought some online the other day if that is any good to you. Add some Toro Loco to make it worthwhile :slight_smile:

1 Like

Had this last week (when the sun was shining)

https://www.majestic.co.uk/wines/domaine-skouras-assyrtiko-38049

A fantastic summer white for those who like that limey, high acid kick with blossom notes.

Maybe not as saline and concentrated as a Santorini example but then the price is fair versus those examples. I bought 6 and this was my first bottle. A very happy purchase.

11 Likes

Thought you might “appreciate” a smug selfie of our visit to Skouras in 2018. Their assyrtiko didn’t float my boat as much as their moschofilero but there you go. Good winery, excellent wines.

4 Likes

Speaking of the excellent Domaine Skouras:

5 Likes

Just had my case of Dalamara delivered today along with some other wines, one of which cause the delay in despatch as this was ordered following the zoom event a couple of months ago.
I’m writing to heap praise upon the clever chap that designed the cardboard box it came in. When it arrived I thought you wouldn’t manage to get 6 bottles in there. A breath of fresh air for once in a world running short on resources. Also if all my wine had arrived in such lean boxes my storage facilities would probably be able to hold another 20%.

5 Likes