01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

The (Greek) Wine Society

It’s only fair to start an “all encompassing” thread for Greek wines after we’ve done the same for South African, Italian and North American wines. Let us all come together here and celebrate the wines of a country with such a rich winemaking heritage.

Oh, and we might as well also cover Ouzo, Raki and Retsina here also.

16 Likes

Mmmmmmm! looks like a real winner! Good luck.

Bordeaux Browsers, Rhone Rangers… The Greek Guzzlers?

12 Likes

Considering the opprobrium that interest in lesser-heard of wines seems to stimulate in others, I prefer The Greek Groundbreakers :grin:

8 Likes

I like that one.

2 Likes

How about “greek gnostics”. Would that be appropriate?

Gnostic is from, if I recall, the greek word for possessing knowledge. Someone with a better education will shortly be along to correct me.

3 Likes

Whoah … I just had an ouzo flashback :dizzy_face:

5 Likes

Wait until I start a topic on Pastis!!!

1 Like

I can’t wait for that. I love Cornish Pastis :heart_eyes:

9 Likes

Given its slightly niche status, it’s got to be “The Greek Geeks”.

3 Likes

This is a real treat. Sweet but not cloying. Last time I had it happened to be in Crete, with a hotelier friend. Hit the (sweet) spot.

7 Likes

This one is also a real find. A rose made from Xynomavro by Thymiopoulos. Really expressive. Again, introduced by my hotelier friend in Crete this Summer.

7 Likes

Or how about the Greek Gods…? though we might be sued by Zeus.

2 Likes

He is very litigious.

3 Likes

We’re veering off topic here, ppl.

Good, isn’t it? I’ve always assumed that they started making it as a joke and ended up with the best drink in their range (I think I quite like their gin, but don’t generally think it’s worth the money).

@Alchemist, did you really mean to change the title of this topic to gallivating?

Gallivating: intransitive verb.

1 informal : to travel, roam, or move about for pleasure been “gallivanting” all over town.

2 dated, informal : to go about usually ostentatiously or indiscreetly with members of the opposite sex."

1 Like

I quite like it…

2 Likes

Yep - thought that bit was quite apposite when exploring a country’s wine, no?

Not bothered either way to be honest, but prefer the titles that alliterate - Rhone Rangers, Bordeaux Browsers etc. Feel free to change, I won’t be offended. :smiley:

4 Likes

A South African Saunter anyone?

3 Likes