01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

The decanting conundrum

Using a decanter with an aerator definitely improves the wine, probably for any bottle (red) We’ve all poured a glass from a bottle then noticed the improvement on the 2nd day. So, yes, you decant a bottle early and then enjoy, probably rather too quickly. So how do you deal with the 2nd or even, ahem, the 3rd.
Does anyone decant 2 bottles or even 3 at once? Would love to hear the fellow oenophiles opinions/tactics on how to resolve this conundrum!

Cheers

2 Likes

I never decant red Burgundy but often decant white Burgundy.
When i drink red Bordeaux i decant it and also Barolo.
Some Spanish reds I drink straight from the bottle via a glass of course.
As for new world, those reds that are full bodied get an airing.
If there is a lot of sediment I decant the wine.
That’s about it.

4 Likes

Interesting. So for airing you just leave open for a period of time?
But what if you’ve just finished one then are opening another? How do you allow this time?

1 Like

Ah, right, when i open a red burgundy i pour a small glass straightaway. Then I try a sip. It is usually tight and thin. So I wander off for half an hour then come back for another sip. If it has started to open I pour two glasses, one for me and another for Mrs Matthews. We wait for 20 minutes or so.
By this time supper is ready. We drink the bottle over the period of about 60 minutes
One bottle is quite enough. The evolution of one is worth much more than two that have not opened up.

4 Likes

Yep. It’ sounds like sage advice. I’m afraid I possibly lack that sort of restraint.
I’ve never decanted white! …in fact…I wasnt a big white drinker but have recently realised this was short sighted.
In all honesty it used to give me heartburn, having recently discovered Omeprazole this is no longer an issue.

I never decant whites. I can’t get over the fact they look like urine samples.
I usually decant 1-2 hours before a meal for reds. I don’t hold with all the twaddle about opening massive reds for 6-8 hours etc, not necessary in my book. There’s a lot of old hokey spoken about Ch. Musar needing a day or so to come around. Basically the wine is breaking down after that time, so you’re not really tasting its real character. Well I don’t think so!
However, we’re all different and there will be those that poo-poo my comments too I suppose. Vive la difference!

10 Likes

I sometimes don’t decant my wines, particularly the midweek ‘throating’ variety. But mostly I decant. Even, and actually especially South Western, whites :sunglasses:

6 Likes

I only decant some reds. The point @winesop refers to is tricky as most folk don’t set out to quaff 2 or 3 bottles of wine but very often the last glass is never enough! If I have some ‘house’ wine or wine for throating then that’s fine but the bigger problem is when you don’t. I’ve been known to open decent wine way too early or without the chance to reach room temp just to have that other glass! Head hanging in shame! :pensive:

6 Likes

I think it was @SteveSlatcher who mentioned in another thread that it’s actually how vigorous you are with the decant that has the biggest affect on how the wine changes in the decanter.

I can’t say how true this is, but it makes sense to me. Add the oxygen with a splashy decant if it needs some development. If it’s mature, an hour or so after a gentle decant will allow the flavours to open up (and removal of sediment) after lengthy spell cooped up in the bottle.

2 Likes

I also believe the shape of the decanter makes a difference, a wide decanter should be used for younger wines and thinner for older. The wider decanter can let in more oxygen into the wine.

2 Likes

Now that I have a few EP red Burgundy ready to drink (albeit quite young), I’m very interested in advice about preparation. Decant or not? Serving temperature? I’ve got the right glasses. Thanks to @Andrew1990 for his thoughts, earlier.

1 Like

Yep… this is the issue. Should definitely have a few ‘throaters’ (I like that :grinning:) for later on.
Does appreciation for wine go down the more you drink,I suppose it must, like increased opportunity cost.
A particularly nice bottle quaffed late on with out due appreciation or treatment.
Going to invest in another decanter!

2 Likes

For me it goes simultaneously up and down :yum:

7 Likes

Microwave.
(Best one which doesn’t turn if there is sediment in the bottle. And remember to take the foil cap off)

1 Like

Well, I wasn’t sure what to do with tonight’s Warwick Trilogy, but the reading at this morning’s Easter service settled it: Isaiah 25:6. Now where’s my strainer?

2 Likes

Probably not. If there is a bit of sediment, which can happen with older burgundy, then either pour carefully or double decant having rinsed the bottle of sediment.

Cellar cool to start. The advice offered by @Andrew1990 is sound I think. If I don’t think that the bottle is all going to be drunk that day or next, I tend to Coravin. One glass when it’s very cool then another later. You can stick the bottle in the fridge for 15 mins if it needs cooling down again.

2 Likes

Many thanks, @MarkC, and Happy Easter!

1 Like