01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The corkscrew thread

I’ve had a screwpull for many years and it has opened everything thrown at it without a problem. Every bottle opened without effort or fuss, perfectly.

I dont know if they have changed the design or quality of the plastic since I bought mine but it has never failed me.

I am talking about the early ones, but once / twice bitten etc…

I have used a butterfly model with a spiral for over thirty years never failed apart from the odd disintegrating cork and as quick as any out there.

Yes I know lots of people like them, hence I took a replacement of the first broken one, but it must be the way I use it, and the second one broke too. The plastic just snapped at the shoulder first time I used it. I’m just too strong, I guess!:wink:

There is a metal screwpull now - it weighs a ton by comparison with its lightweight plastic cousin.

I replaced my screwpull, not because it broke but because the teflon had worn off the screw. I think the secret to avoiding breakage is to hold the legs firmly so they are not forced apart by the downward reaction force against the bottle itself.

Bought my dad this a few years ago:

he loves it. Not broken yet, and a lot cheaper than the Screwpull.

Wow! It looks like something my dentist uses! :wink:

I have to admit that by FAR my favourite corkscrew is the humble PullParrot (and no, it does not HAVE to look like a parrot, it refers to the beak-like button).

I have some (branded) with a narrow thread that makes light work of all types of corks and the button works much better than the ‘broken arm’ version of the traditional waiter’s friend

In terms of ‘collectables’ the most amusing one was a gift that sits on a shelf, unused but on show:

Me too. They’re simple, easy to use, and they slip into a pocket.

Im Wein ist Wahrheit :champagne:

Genau! :grinning:

Some interesting designs there…!

I’ve used a butterfly with a good thread for a while now and it’s generally great. For fragile corks I use this from Corkpops

http://corkpops.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=2000&Product_Code=12240

It was bought for me as a gift and I thought it was a bit of a novelty at first. Its actually great for old crumbly corks as the pressure comes from below and is spread across the base of the cork

Refills used to be an issue as they are US based but you can now buy them in the UK

Not exactly a corkscrew, but the lover of vintage ports is - sooner or later - going to start lusting after a set of port tongs.

I would immediately change dentists…

Hence the problem with a tight cork, and there must be people who simply can’t hold the legs that firmly hmmmmm :wink:

I use one of these too and find it very easy to use. Excellent piece of equipment. Cost about £15 when I bought it a few years ago.