01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

The Bordeaux Browsers

Would you touch the 12 yet?

Yes I think I would, the TWS window is '18 to '22 so I would expect it to be pretty much at it’s peak right now.

2 Likes

Had this over yhe weekend and it’s exactly what I hope to find when opening a bottle of Bordeaux.

Domaine de Perdiguier Cuvée d’En Auger, Vin de Pays des Coteaux d’Ensérune 2009

out of stock

Domaine de Perdiguier Cuvée d'En Auger, Vin de Pays des Coteaux d'Ensérune 2009

£12.95 bottle

Decided to open this half bottle to compare.

Ch Moulin Riche 2010 St Julien Halves

no longer available

Ch Moulin Riche 2010 St Julien Halves

Download wine notes PDF

There is a velvety richness and good depth of flavour to this excellent wine from the Cuvelier family, owners of Léoville-Poyferré.

Really glad I did. The Moulin was a bit more elegant and the fruit flavours were more clearly defined but it had less complexity. The depth of flavour is similarly impressive to that of the Perdiguier but not for the first time I preferred the cheaper wine. Think I am a cheap date. The Moulin has a good many years ahead so may develop further but when considering vfm there is no contest.

19 Likes

I thought I’d resurrect this thread with a nod to some top Claret being offered at L&W- no connection etc.

Grand Puy Lacoste 2003 and 2004 in bottle and 2014 and 2015 in halves. Also Chateau Gloria 2014 in halves.

None of the above are ‘bargains’ but a good chance to add 1+ of each to reserves if you feel like it.

Personally I added two each of the two GPL vintages and two Gloria - all in halves

3 Likes

I picked up a bottle of this when it appeared recently:

I’m always interested in picking up mature wines at a reasonable price and this one seemed to fit the bill.

I opened it last night:

And was suitably impressed. It’s not a bottle of ten-year-old Chasse-Spleen but it’s still a pretty good, reasonably priced bottle of fully mature Moulis.

11 Likes

Many thanks for sharing this Mike. I’ve also hovered over this one as I’m a big fan of Moulis wines and hadn’t heard of this one before.

That was exactly my position, so thought I’d try one. Which I liked but I’d probably still recommend trying one first yourself. There’s over 2000 bottles so no great hurry!

2 Likes

Hi @MikeFranklin & @Jonathan8. As fans of Moulis wines have you tried Ch Dutruch Grand Poujeaux? It appears in most of the en primeur offers at attractive prices. I encountered it at a WS tasting (yes, a real one) about eight years ago. I’ve got the 2015 in reserves, which should be drinking soon.

2 Likes

I have tried it just once and my summary notes were “good but no more” however this was a 2013 vintage so probably not a fair measure, so I have since picked up a 2012 to give it another try sometime.

My favourite Moulis have so far been Chasse Spleen, Poujeaux, and Maucaillou’s second wine Le No. 2 de Maucaillou. I’ve also had the Ch Duplessis from 2010 which was another okay only one. On the back of Le No. 2 I have also bought some of Maucaillou’s first wine but not tried it yet.

Also that la Garricq is probably on my radar for future purchases but I’ve never actually seen it before this current listing!

2 Likes

I should probably also add that at the £12.50 I originally paid for the 2013 two years ago I probably shouldn’t be expecting too much more but at the £18 I paid for the 2012 some six months later I am maybe expecting a little more!

1 Like

Hi @MikeFranklin - I have a 2009 Chasse Spleen waiting to be drunk. Interested to hear if you think it’s ready now or should I give it some more time? Thanks!

1 Like

I think it would be drinking well now; I’ve had one lovely '09 and a couple of '10s that were a little young still. So I’d expect it to continue improving for another few years and be good for another 10. I think someone once commented on these pages that they considered Chasse Spleen to be at it’s best at around 15 years.

5 Likes

Great thanks Mike!

1 Like

Anyone drunk Chateau Tristan Pomerol before?

Thanks

Hi Paul,

I haven’t tried that Chateaux but it’s got a decent review from Jancis in that year and I’m sure will be very enjoyable. Like you I’ve bought when I’ve found one I’ve enjoyed (I was a big fan of the Gressier Grand Poujeaux a few years ago) and think they are a good hunting ground for tasty claret, especially with a few years in bottle. I’ve a case of 2009 Poujeaux in storage with F&R that I bought earlier this year that I’m looking forward to trying, and think the 2015 and 2016s are worth looking at for reviews (even this and Chasse Speen do seem to have off years) and buying when you’re happy.

Let us know when you try your first bottle! :wine_glass:

1 Like

It’s been a tough year and it’s not seeming to be finishing much better!

Sharing this in case you’re interested in treating yourself or a lucky person a very mixed case of fairly priced 2019 bordeaux with some good value selections you may recognise. £195 for 12, email link below.

\ 1x56

\ 1x12

2019 BORDEAUX DISCOVERY COLLECTION CASE

\ 1x12

£195 12 x 75cl bottles in bond

\ 1x12

Email link

\ 1x48

CONTAINS ONE BOTTLE (75CL) EACH OF:

\ 1x12

2019 Ch. Capbern, Saint-Estèphe

2019 Haut Bailly II, Pessac-Léognan

2019 Ch. Grand Village, Bordeaux Supérieur

2019 Ch. Labegorce, Margaux

2019 Ch. de Fonbel, Saint Emilion Grand Cru

2019 Ch. Potensac, Médoc

2019 Ch. Mauvesin Barton, Moulis-en-Médoc

2019 Ch. Marjosse, Bordeaux

2019 Ch. Montlandrie, Côtes de Castillon

2019 Ch. Puygueraud, Côtes de Francs

2019 Ch. Tour Saint Christophe, Saint-Emilion Grand Cru

2019 Ch. Siaurac, Lalande-de-Pomerol

2 Likes

I stumbled across this now being sold by the bottle

I bought a case of 6 bottles en primeur which are still sitting in reserves as obviously far too young to drink yet. The price has been rising steadily since the EP offer and I’m tempted to buy a bottle to drink in 3-4 years time and leave my case sitting happily in reserves for another decade.

Summary of the reviews here

1 Like

That looks like a lovely bottle. I had a look myself when thinking about wines for this Christmas but agree, it’s far too early. You have lots to look forward to in a few years, tempted myself as it’s a great Chateau without being in the top tier pricing - more and more S-E wines seem to be moving their cost way up in the last few years.

1 Like

I’m contemplating a bottle of this Lagrange 2008 for Christmas Day. Has anyone had this and is it ready for drinking? I have 6 more in reserves!

6 Likes

" Château Lagrange (St Julien) 2008: A quite charming nose, fresh and quite pure, with a crystalline character to the fruit, sweet and dusted with icing sugar, with a delicate trace of sage and bay leaf. The palate is quite classic and very much in the same style as the nose, with sweetly dusted crystalline blackcurrant fruit, fresh and quite taut, with a medium-bodied substance. A rather dry tannic backbone is evident here, still quite firm and full in the finish and length. A good result in this vintage from this estate, and there may be a little more evolution yet to come here. From a Bordeaux 2008 tasting. 92/100 (February 2018)"

3 Likes