01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Bordeaux Browsers

This is more likely.

Interesting comment from Jancis Robinson The 2011s to buy | JancisRobinson.com (linked by @winechief here )

This year, most unfortunately, it was the turn of 2017 and 2011 to be poured in sensible flights from anonymised bottles, so two distinctly disappointing vintages. I couldn’t attend the 2017 tasting but subsequent reports, such as these ones from Tom Parker MW, were not enthusiastic. Coincidentally, these were two of the least ripe vintages for red bordeaux this century – though 2021 may rival them on some estates.

Sounds like a poor one for the next Bordeaux EP (2021). Wonder how the prices will shift! (Upwards probably).

5 Likes

Interesting to know.
I don’t tend to agree with the 2011 vintage statement. It is known as an average vintage, maybe 5/10 however the wines I tried were really good. I get that doesn’t apply to all but my experience so far has been good and I hold some stock of 2011.

4 Likes

I’m quietly confident that the Pontet-Canet, Canon and La Conseillante are, in all likelihood, not going to disappoint…

3 Likes

As a way to “stir up interest” in a product that many of the buyers clearly don’t actually want to purchase, doubling the price is quite some tactic.

Perhaps the real aim is not actually to stir up interest at all?

Rewind…

Ahhhh, I see.

Yeah, I don’t see it.

5 Likes

Well €40,000 fine will fix it :woman_facepalming:t3:

4 Likes

Pocket change for a man like him I suspect!

Interesting how Bouard is the only person found to have done any wrong. Presumably the INAO knew nothing whatsoever about the affair. Nothing here to see, move on…

And what about B’s consultancy clients? this cannot reflect positively on their all important brand names, at the very least they might wish to have any payments returned. Bearing in mind that many of these Château are owned by global financial houses & have a duty to protect shareholder’s interests.

Spare a thought for those holder’s of many cases of Angelus - which might have dropped in value considerably.

2 Likes

I don’t follow this stuff like I used to and missed that Ausone and Cheval Blanc had pulled out of the classification. That’s gonna hurt. And I’m afraid people with lots of Angelus are pretty low on my list of those I feel sorry for. Not a bad glass of wine, if you like that sort of thing.

7 Likes

Exactly…Money clearly “talks”.

Money doesn’t talk it swears!

I guess you have to be of a certain age to remember that phrase :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Bob Dylan! (I’m 72).

1 Like

I have that song stuck in my head now! :+1:

https://www.waitrosecellar.com/chateau-la-marzelle-884637
Ordered two of these on Waitrose cellar today, anyone had any experience with this chateau? Seems to be the only red Bordeaux with age that isn’t too expensive.

It’s a well-known wine but a medium quality vintage and already 17 years old. I wouldn’t keep it too long if I were you.

2 Likes

Was planning to have over Christmas festivities so should suit nicely!

1 Like

:blush:

21 Likes

What vintages have you had? How was it?
Looks like a great Thursday evening for you

1 Like

Requires lots of zooming, but looks like '16, '10, can’t tell - behind stem (maybe '09?), '05 and '01.

A fabulous 5 vintages over 15 years

1 Like

2016 Château Gruaud-Larose 2ème Cru Classé

The 2016 Gruaud Larose is a blend of 69% Cabernet Sauvignon, 29% Merlot and 2% Cabernet Franc this year, picked between 29 September until 15 October (with the Petit Verdot) and matured in 80% new oak, the remainder one or two years old. The alcohol is a modest 13.02%. It has a generous bouquet with scents of blackberry, briary, a touch of sandalwood and tobacco, gaining more precision as it aerates in the glass. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannin, certainly one of the most finessed Gruaud Larose in recent years, with perfectly judged acidity. I love the focus here, a little understated at first but you cannot deny the intensity and precision on the finish. Moreover, this seems to be a slightly more detailed Gruaud, nuanced and long in the mouth. Excellent—and I suspect it might be a little more approachable than some of its peers.

94/100 Neal Martin, Vinous

2010 Château Gruaud-Larose 2ème Cru Classé

This is a great showing from Gruaud Larose. It has a lovely bouquet with vibrant blackberry, wild hedgerow and cedar aromas that display fine vigour and intensity. The palate is medium-bodied with supple and ripe tannins, plenty of ripe tarry black fruit with a dense, tobacco-infused finish that is very focused and persistent. Excellent.

95/100 Neal Martin, Vinous

2009 Château Gruaud-Larose 2ème Cru Classé

The 2009 Gruaud Larose has a fresh, backward, tightly coiled bouquet with ample blackberry and bilberry fruit, fine tension and focus, a nose that is intending to last the distance (and why not?) The palate is very well balanced with a fine bead of acidity, fresh and vibrant, laced-like tannin with a wonderfully detailed and persistent finish. This is some quality winemaking here and it is a wonderful 2009 Saint-Julien. Tasted blind.

95/100 Neal Martin, Vinous

2005 Château Gruaud-Larose 2ème Cru Classé

The Gruaud-Larose 2005 has wonderful purity and lift on the nose with dark baked cherries, crushed strawberry, red cherry, cassis, a touch of leather and black truffle. The palate is medium-bodied with fine tannins and good acidity, harmonious with a slightly powdery texture towards the very composed, plum, sage and thyme-tinged finish. Lingers nicely in the mouth.

92/100 Neal Martin, Vinous

2001 Château Gruaud-Larose 2ème Cru Classé

Tasted at the chateau. A dark garnet hue. The nose is reticent at first, but develops some attractive aromas of raspberry, cranberry, wild hedgerow and a hint of tobacco. Good definition but it is tightly-coiled, ready to spring a few surprises in the future. There is just a faint greenness hovering in the background. The palate has a soft entry, quite toasty with blackberry, cedar and a touch of cooked meats, leading to a soft landing on the finish. Good balance, quite approachable now, although I would leave another 3-4 years. An elegant, supple Saint Julien.

91/100 Neal Martin, Vinous

7 Likes