01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Bordeaux Browsers

Not for me as it has no alcohol in it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Chilled with blue cheese is a good match

1 Like

That looks like an amazing evening Peter - how were the wines? A bottle of the second wine Croix Canon from 2012 is as close as I’ve ever been to this chateau and even that was delicious.

1 Like

Many of you will know of the Southwold tastings that Farr Vintners now host, looking back at the vintage of four years ago. It’s always been a good read to see observations from experts a few years after bottling.

They’ve published a brief update on the delayed tasting of 2017s, link below. It was never a highly rated vintage but I was surprised at how they now consider it compared to other vintages of the last ten years. It wasn’t a vintage that I bought from en primeur and their notes on the state of the market are a fair contrast to how it was presented/sold at the time.

7 Likes

We will be re-assembling to taste the 2011 vintage “Ten Years On” next month. When we tasted them in their youth they were tannic and lean with the fruit rather overwhelmed by structure. We’re hoping that they will have softened and are now showing better and are ready to drink.

I’m afraid my experience of a couple of recent bottles, this is still definitely the case. Several reviews on CT of 2011’s also seem to confirm this. A pity. They were probably better younger, if you could ignore the tannins.

1 Like

Only bought a couple of 2011 early-drinkers and they have long gone. Mauvisan-Barton was the best with food. Destined to be an awful vintage. I’ve seen heavier feathers.

5 Likes

I believe I have one '13 and four '11s in my Bordeaux future!

1 Like

It was a real, somewhat indulgent, treat Jonathan. Never having tried Chateau Canon before, it was very enjoyable. Very elegant wines indeed but I was shocked at the bottle prices that were mentioned during each tasting. The 2015 was the star of the show but at £252/bottle one would expect it to be. Am pretty sure the 2020 was similarly (ie very highly) scored and way under half that cost, so whilst still an eye watering amount of money the 2020 is the one which appeals to me, for the long haul and eventual special occasion enjoyment. I am glad I managed to secure some earlier this year. More modest EP purchases in future though for me!

The second wines are often pretty compelling value and I will seek theirs out for sure.

6 Likes

There are some wonderful 2017s if you are careful. Montaiguillon 2017 is absolutely delicious.

I know many vignerons had very low yields due to the bad weather - I don’t know if there is always a correlation between that and quality. Ranked between 2011 and 2013 certainly isn’t a happy place to be.

1 Like

Has anyone ever tried this Château Coutelin Merville, Saint-Estèphe 2014 that appeared recently. At £20 it’s, I think, the cheapest St Estephe I’ve seen TWS doing (which of course is not necessarily a good thing!).

2 Likes

Not this vintage, but I had a few bottles of the 09 and 10 a couple of years ago from Costco. The 09 was delicious, really open and expressive, but the 10 was a bit tougher to get on with - probably needed another couple of years. Can’t remember what I paid for them, but £20 seems reasonable.

4 Likes

Some new wines

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/ch-prieure-lichine-margaux-2014

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/chateau-tour-du-roc-milon-pauillac-2016

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/chateau-bel-air-pomerol-2016

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/chateau-pierbone-haut-medoc-2010

5 Likes

2010 Pierbone? Why hasn’t this sold already. Not another ‘keep back for later drinking’ wine is it? Sorry I’d be dubious about this one.

Thanks for your notes Peter, good to hear you enjoyed and well done for securing some of the 2020, that willbe wonderful in the future :star_struck:

1 Like

Thanks Neil, good to hear from someone who’s tried some. I know the society has had some top names from 2017 listed recently but does seem way to early.

1 Like

Hi Mike,

I noticed that too. It’s not one I’ve ever seen or read about before. 2014 is meant to be a very decent vintage in St. Estephe but the reviews I can see are not vastly positive.

There’s a few less known and newly listed wines with some bottle age ready for the festive season. They coule be good value and would probably benefit from the buyers sharing why they those chose them otherwise it can feel a bit like a lucky dip.

2 Likes

Thanks Nicola, well spotted. I’ll also share these that have just appeared:

Château Saint-Pierre, Saint-Julien 2014: usually a classy Saint-Julien and probably needs a little more time: Château Saint-Pierre, Saint-Julien 2014

Château Lalande Borie, Saint-Julien 2014: another vintage of this tasty second wine. Château Lalande Borie, Saint-Julien 2014

Château de Pitray Cuvée Cabernet Franc, Castillon Côtes de Bordeaux 2018: the unusual 100% cabernet franc bordeaux is back in, very keen to try this as recall seeing both @inbar and @peterm mentioning it. Château de Pitray Cuvée Cabernet Franc, Castillon Côtes de Bordeaux 2018

5 Likes

Indeed! :grinning: me and the other half loved the 2017 - right up our street! Thanks for the heads up about the 2018 - going to see if I can add a couple to an order coming later this week! :+1:

Given that the “1874” offers finish this week, I’d not be surprised if we get a new Christmas list sometime very shortly!

1 Like

I thought I read the new list is out this week/next and then the Christmas list in Mid Nov.

2 Likes