I’ve seen quite a lot of chat lately about the algorithm that decides who receives which TWS mailings/emails. Obviously TWS puts a lot of effort into trying to ensure that people only receive offers that might be of interest to them, but no algorithm is perfect (I studied Arabic at university, so spent lots of time reading about Middle Eastern politics, and for a period of time, half the ads shown to me by Facebook were about moving to Israel or acquiring Israeli citizenship!). So I thought it might be interesting to see which offers everyone received last month (May), and whether you think they reflected your purchasing habits/interests.
I got the following emails:
- Boizel Champagne (I’ve never bought Champagne from TWS, but do buy it generally);
- 2017 Bdx en primeur pre-order (I have bought Bdx en primeur from TWS before);
- Guigal Cotes-du-Rhone (I’ve bought CdR from TWS before);
- Contino en primeur offer (I’ve never bought en primeur Rioja from TWS, but have bought normal offerings of Rioja from them);
- Musar 2010 (I’ve never bought Musar from TWS (though have bought it elsewhere) but have bought other Lebanese wines from them);
- Summer tastings (I have bought a ticket for a tasting before);
- Trip report from the Loire (I’ve bought Loire wines from TWS);
- The infamous Chave email (I’ve bought EP Rhone before, but never spent that much on a bottle from TWS);
- Trip report about Northern Monk brewery (I’ve never bought beer from TWS and don’t really have much interest in it);
- Wine Champions tasting (see above); and
- Bdx 2017 latest prices (see above).
And I got post about:
- Multi-case savings (I never buy wine by the case unless it is in bond);
- Wine Without Fuss (I’m too particular to let anyone else choose my wine!);
- Summer Tastings;
- one or two others than I forget - maybe one about Bdx en primeur.
So I’d say it’s a hit rate of around 7/10. What did you get? And did it reflect you?
- Boizel Champagne
- 2017 Bordeaux EP
- Guigal Cotes-du-Rhone
- Contino EP
- Musar 2010
- Trip report from the Loire
- The infamous Chave email
- Trip report about Northern Monk brewery
- Bdx 2017 latest prices
- Multi-case savings
- Wine Without Fuss
- Summer Tastings
- others (please mention them below!)