01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The 3 largest wineries in the world are owned by ...?

A coconut to those who said Gallo.

Jamie Goode’s post today has some amazing statistics and photo’s
http://www.wineanorak.com/wineblog/california/the-worlds-three-largest-wineries-all-owned-by-the-same-company

and following the link to the company’ website and ‘Our Portfolio’ shows 72 brands. Now, not all of them are owned by the company, some non-US names are wineries they represent in the US, but the vast majority are brands Gallo make and own.

If you stand looking at a supermarket’s wine shelves impressed by the large and varied range that outlet has for you, it’s sobering to see that their buyer needed to deal with one rep to get so many different brand names.

Jamie’s post says that Gallo’s factory also make the bottles they use. I have previously read they also have a cardboard factory to make cases for the wine.

The numbers quoted are so large that my brain couldn’t even begin to imagine the scale of the operation. The pics from Google Earth and the claim that they made more wine than the whole of Australia in 2000 put things into perspective though. Staggering stuff.

It’s more than a quarter of a century since I have tasted an E &J Gallo product but I would have difficulty calling that product wine. To the best of my recollection it seemed like a cross between cheap vinegar and paint stripper. It has probably improved since then but I’ve never been motivated to try it again.

Are you sure? Did you see the multitude of different brands they make?

I think it is very difficult for a regular wine drinker not to have drunk - albeit unknowingly - a Gallo wine in over 25 years; they don’t all say ‘Gallo’ on the label.

Gallo make wines to suit all palates, and I remember being surprised some time ago at the excellence of one of their single vineyard wines under the Gallo name.

And also surprised when I posted the above that the Ghost Pines Zinfandel I was given and brought back from the USA (but not yet tasted) is one of their brands.

OTOH, at dinner with relations a couple of weeks ago, the second red to be served was Carnivor which was gloopily sweet and - to my taste - undrinkable. Luckily they had a Rioja on standby.

See also Barefoot Wine (through dark glasses ;)

We had a ‘fine wine’ tasting last year that happened to be all Gallo owned brands. Despite the hyperbole of the ‘wine celebrity’ host, the wines were really not that pleasant

Not saying they don’t have some good lines, it’s just that I haven’t knowingly found them

After reading this topic I’ve just checked and found I have a bottle of Gallo Family Signature Series Russian River Syrah 2004 downstairs. I think I must have bought it in a shop in Healdsburg. It has a price ticket of $40 on the bottle, which I’m rather surprised by. Better try it soon, and it better be good. I must have been feeling flush a few years ago.

I’m bad at keeping wines too long, but I think after 15 years it’s time to broach it. If it’s not at its best, it won’t be on an upward slope…

Yes, I do tend to forget about them. Luckily so far without any bad consequences but sometimes I wonder if something would have been better a while ago. You can never drink a bottle more than once though so as long as you enjoy it when you do …!

Peter,

In reviewing the portfolio I found you are correct. There at least 3 Gallo brands I have (unknowingly) drunk in the last 25 years (although none has become a favourite to be regularly purchased). I guess, for me the point is a poor experience with a wine brand stays with me for a long time.

I was really surprised at the portfolio.

I purchased a bottle of Rancho Zabaco Zinfandel and became aware it was a Gallo brand after I did some research. Clouded my view of the wine a bit but when it came time to drink up it was actually pretty good.

I thought that would be the only one - how wrong I was.

Others I have had include:

• Clarendon Hills - superb
  • Da Vinci - Vin Santo from M&S
  • La Marca Prosecco from Majestic
  • Pieropan - La Rocca & standard Soave - highly regarded
  • Renato Ratti - Langhe Nebbiolo

And then there are other highly thought of brands that I’ve not drunk but have heard of and would purchase - Allegrini, Saint Clair etc

Crazy! And certainly an eye opener. Although you won’t convince me to now start drinking Dark Horse, Carnivor, Apothic et al!

Surely they only have US distribution rights for Pieropan… and some of the others you mention.

@szaki1974 is correct. As said in the OP some (all?) of the foreign wines are not made or owned by Gallo; they’re on that list because Gallo distribute them in the USA.

Ahhh in that case it’s just the 1 - the Zin!

I agree. When we went last year to our local Ember Inns, it was the most expensive red on the list, and as such I suppose it wasn’t so much in demand. We had the 2014 vintage of the Sonoma Heritage Vines and we all enjoyed I. We had more than one bottle…

Earlier this year they had the Dry Creek Valley 2014.

Seems Rancho Zabaco have four bottlings, two being single vineyard. According to their website the 2008 vintage of Toreador Monte Rosso Vineyard, Sonoma Valley weighs in at 16.9% abv. !

http://www.ranchozabaco.com/

Quick check on CellarTracker and it reveals that’s the one I had.