01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Terrific Restaurant Wine Lists

I really enjoy reading Restaurant Wine Lists.
One can get an idea of which wines are ready to drink.
And which wines from those offered to us by the Society are well thought of. :dragon:

2 Likes

A very good one from the London Restaurant “Noble Rot”
Extensive and well priced!! :dragon:

4 Likes

Restaurant L’Oustalet owned by Famille Perrin of Beaucastel renown.

4 Likes

Serious wine lists there!

One of my favourites, showing my Italian leanings once again, is Locanda Locatelli’s wine list. Just fabulous (as long as you like the Italian good stuff…!)

http://www.locandalocatelli.com/menus

7 Likes

Noble Rot is very much on my list to pay a visit. Even more so after reading their excellent Wine From Another Galaxy book.

Another destination on my list is Ashkam Hall in Penrith. Read this and weep!

8 Likes

Wow, I’d need to take my table around midday in order to make a selection in time for dinner from that list.

3 Likes

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:6102ca47-bb78-4663-afb2-9c99f34add7f

We’re going to Summer Lodge in Dorset next week. They have a huge and expensive list, but some good affordable wines are to be found. (All things are relative).

Some areas woefully under represented, but I guess they know their market.

For Musar aficionados, a vertical to dream about. Also Trimbach. Not much for Rhone fans.

Hope the link works OK

Any recommendations very welcome - at the lower end of the price range please!

3 Likes

Not the longest list in the world, but https://trinityrestaurant.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Trinity-Winelist.pdf is where I went last night. Mark-up is around x2 vs retail, which isn’t bad at all for London.

7 Likes

Ah, Summer Lodge. We went there years ago and had a huge, rich meal with glorious wine. Mrs A - not one of life’s big people or big eaters - tried to stay with me, even though I am at the Henry VIII end of the feasting spectrum. It ended badly for her… :face_vomiting:

8 Likes

I can vouch for Noble Rot, went there yesterday, as mentioned on another thread. List terrific.
As for my resident county, Norfolk, it is generally dire. Morston Hall on coast has best list. All the others (well nearly) use big distributors.

3 Likes

We have stayed at Morston Hall a couple of times, the wine list is good for Norfolk which isn’t difficult, but the set menu set up is very regimented and put us and our guests off going back, the only thing missing was blowing a whistle before you all could sit down.

3 Likes

Agree entirely about set menu; reminded me of my school days about choice.
Yes agree also about wine lists. Norfolk eating out is all about big portions of carbohydrate and cheap fruiy wines.

1 Like

I love Norfolk (we had a week away there a couple of weeks ago), but it’s pub meals all the way when eating out there. That usually means a beer with the meal, which appeals more than the average pub wine list.

Oh, I was forgetting a colossal takeaway plate of shellfish from the Wells Crab House. We took our own wine for eating in the cottage.

1 Like

That’s not a ‘list’, that’s a novel with every line an exploration into a wondrous taste sensation. Dinner would take a very long time…

I fear that the internet has spoiled the amazing wine list phenomenon. I fondly remember the Gidleigh Park list, the Simon Loftus Crown list, and the Bell at Aston Clinton. There are amazingly deep lists still to be found but amazingly good value ones less so. The vultures tend to descend once it gets online sadly. At least in part this is also due to the current value of wines being much easier to identify given Wine-Searcher and online wine lists.

2 Likes

Cabotte also has a great wine list, and the food is lovely too.

5 Likes

I’d be very worried about ordering the 1990 Jaboulet, La Chapelle in a moment of madness.

I guess that’s one opinion. For us Morston Hall is fabulous. Although I wouldn’t want the set meal all the time it is always a wonderful experience.

Stayed over on business last week & get the drift. Some of the counties country/ golf hotels are both pricey and a bit stuffy. If it’s not too much of a trek, Norwich has a decent number of restaurants. Best of the bunch was Jorges Portuguese Tapas, with a selection of Douro and Alentejo wines and the Mango-T Thai, or maybe Ciscoe’s for sushi. Anyway- getting off topic :grinning:

1 Like

I was in Cabotte, 2 weeks ago, all good great selection on the list as usual , but during the pandemic the mark ups seemed to have grown quite considerably. Like the people and the place but starting to push it IMO

1 Like