01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Ten Tasty Sherry Recipes for #SherryWeek 2018

Did you know it’s #SherryWeek this week? I thought - seeing as there are so many sherry fans here - you’d like to know. :wink:

We celebrated last year with a roundup of Sherry recipes on our (now closed) Society Grapevine blog, and it prompted this brilliant, long-running discussion about the various ways to drink this gorgeous fortified delight:

As the link on the original post is now broken since Grapevine has been taken offline, I thought I’d repurpose the post here!

Ten Tasty Sherry Recipes for #SherryWeek 2018

Buckle up, sherry lovers – the next week is Sherry Week 2018, a celebration of this beloved fortified wine from the Spanish city of Jerez de la Frontera.

If you’ve yet to discover how much more sherry has to offer than the sickly sweet stuff your gran used to drink, we have some handy beginners’ guides to sherry here and here, but this year we want to shift the focus to sherry’s fantastically food-friendly qualities.

What about pouring a healthy splash of this flavoursome fortified creation into a tasty recipe or two?

We’ve done plenty of that over the years, so here’s ten of our favourite sherry recipes:

1. Artichokes and potatoes with oloroso sherry

Next time you have steak, this is a lip-smacking, flavour-packed side dish to try, and comes from chef-owners and husband and wife team Sam and Sam Clark of the Moro restaurant in London. What to drink with it? Another glass of the oloroso sherry used in the recipe, of course!

2. Heston Blumenthal’s potted Stilton

This surprisingly easy but impressive dinner party starter is rich, indulgent and perfectly illustrates how well sweet pedro ximénez sherry goes with salty blue cheese. If you’re looking for more ideas from Heston, try his masterful sherry and food matching book, The Perfect Marriage .

-Heston-potted-stilton

3. Fillet of cod with chorizo

A classic Gordon Ramsay recipe that’s packed with Spanish flavour. We recommend using a fino sherry with this one, and The Society’s Fino is an ideal example. Serve with a glass of rosé.

4. Braised pig cheeks with oloroso sherry

Looking to wow your guests with a popular tapas dish or two? This succulent, herby recipe is a classic choice and comes from the tapas experts at Drake’s Tabanco restaurant in London.

5. Tagliatelle Alfredo

A simple take on the classic pasta dish, combining tried-and-true flavours of ham, mushrooms and cream. The generous glugging of dry sherry in this recipe adds an added dimension of flavour that makes this one of our favourite comfort food recipes.

6. Grilled wild Atlantic salmon marinated in citrus, coriander & cumin

Fresh herbs, Seville orange and a rich, medium sherry like amontillado or oloroso unite in perfect harmony to bring out the best in a juicy fillet of Atlantic salmon. This is a delicious summer recipe and especially good to eat al fresco in the garden after a long day at the office.

7. Pantry peppers

Hidden away in the archives of our blog is a textbook tasty recipe from Janet Wynne Evans, who spent many a year creating much-loved recipes for our Wine Without Fuss cases until she retired earlier this year. These deceptively simple rice, black pudding, dry sherry and pesto stuffed peppers are an Iberian delight and work brilliantly as a hearty starter or can be served as a main course with crusty bread and a salad.

8. Bob Andrew’s Seville duck

Bob Andrew is a chef at Riverford Organic Farmers and this sweet and smoky duck and baked rice dish has an authentic Andalusian vibe. A refreshing alternative to paella or risotto, and the fino sherry in the recipe gives an extra Spanish kick.

9. Steamy Oriental aubergines)

A quick but tasty mid-week supper with a light dressing which marries the aromatic flavours of soy sauce, dry sherry, ginger, sesame and honey. Another fabulous creation from Janet Wynne Evans.

10. Chicken and morels in a creamy sherry sauce

Finally, our most recent sherry recipe, courtesy of our new Wine Without Fuss recipe guru Steve Farrow. The appeal of this dish doesn’t need much explanation: a French classic combining tender chicken, earthy mushroom and a rich, creamy sauce using manzanilla or fino.

If you’ve been inspired to knock up a mouthwatering meal using a splash or two of sherry, view our full range of sherries here, or pop into the Showroom during Sherry Week (8th - 14th October) as we’ll have plenty of bottles open for you to try.

The last couple of links didn’t work for me. Got this message

Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private.

That’s for the aubergine and chicken recipes.

Oh noo! Sorry @JayKay, that’s an epic fail on me for not checking the links! Those last two are also from the now offline Society Grapevine - d’oh! Let me post them below,

Recipe #9: Steamy Oriental Aubergines

Steamy Oriental Aubergines
This light but natty roadster is fuelled by a five-star dressing comprising a couple of tablespoons each of rice wine (or dry sherry) and soy sauce, a teaspoon each of toasted sesame oil and clear honey, and a thumb of fresh root ginger, finely grated. Whisk all these together and put in a wide frying pan.

Steam two big aubergines, wedged into eighths, over a pan of simmering water for about 15 minutes. Let the steam subside before adding them to the dressing, on a low heat. Braise gently for five minutes or so until the dressing is absorbed. Scatter with toasted sesame seeds. The wedges will cool to a slight stickiness, lovely with chicken, lamb or fish, and equally toothsome in a salad with crunchy leaves or blanched mangetout.

Wine: on the guiding principle of a bit of grapy richness with salt, especially if there’s some honey about, I’d plump for Australia, where they know a thing or two about fusion cuisine, and go for Felix Swan Hill Victoria Chardonnay-Viognier 2016(£8.95). If serving with lamb, I’d plump for the sweet fruit of Wakefield Promised Land Shiraz 2015 (£7.95).

Recipe 10: Chicken and Morels in a Sherry and Cream Sauce
Serves 2

Ingredients
• 2 chicken breasts or suprémes, skinned and slightly flattened out, and seasoned with salt and pepper
• 25g unsalted butter
• 250ml Vin Jaune, or dry sherry like fino or manzanilla (or a Jura savagnin, or oaky white wine such as Rioja Blanco if you prefer)
• 250ml double cream
• 100g fresh morel mushrooms or 30g dried morels (or use dried porcini which have a stronger flavour)
• 100g button mushrooms, halved, or chestnut mushrooms sliced

If using dried morels, soak them in boiling water for half an hour, then drain and reserve the soaking liquid. If using the fresh morels, give them a brush and a shake to ensure that the crinkles, nooks and crannies are free of grit and any creepy crawlies. If the morels are pretty large cut them in half length-ways.

Put a large frying pan over a moderate flame and add the butter and let it froth before laying the chicken breasts in the pan. Sauté over a moderately high heat until they are a deep golden brown and turn over to repeat. This should take about 6 minutes, 3 on each side.

Remove from the pan, leaving the butter, which should be a nutty golden brown, before throwing in the mushrooms, and sautéing for minutes. Pour in the sherry (or wine) and bring up to a boil to evaporate away the alcohol, and then lower the heat and reduce the liquid by about two thirds. Pour in the double cream and bring back to the boil and reduce until the sauce is well combined and reduced to a coating consistency (i.e. the sauce will cling to the back of a spoon).

At this point taste the sauce for seasoning. If using the dried mushrooms you can decide if the sauce is strong enough for your taste and if not you can add some or all of the reserved soaking liquor, suitably strained through some muslin or a sheet of kitchen roll to remove any grit, and reduce a little more to account for the liquor being added. Put the chicken breasts back in to the sauce with any juices they have exuded, and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through, about 7 or 8 minutes.

In France the dish is often served with boiled rice. In the spirit of the season I suggest boiled or steamed Jersey Royal potatoes and asparagus.

Wine matches: serve this with a glass or two of white Rioja like the The Society’s White Rioja (£8.50) , or Laudun Côtes-du-Rhone Villages Blanc, Château Courac 2015 (£9.95).

That Seville Duck recipe sounds great… I think I have some goose thighs in the freezer, those should do the trick, too…

Gutted trifle wasn’t included!

You have goose thighs in the freezer?! I’d love to have a root around your place! :slightly_smiling_face:

Not if you’re a goose…:grimacing:
The recipes look really good. The society fino has been a staple for my cooking and slurping for some time but great to see recipes with other sherries.
Of course there is the great pudding of aged PX with vanilla ice cream too… why work too hard in the kitchen when you don’t need to :yum:

Fantastic looking recipes, @laura! The duck, the chicken and the aubergine ones are going on our ‘meals plan’ for sure! I always have some sherry open, so shouldn’t be a problem! :ok_hand:

You would find a lot of wine not ready for drinking…

This is my all-time fave sherry ‘recipe’, haha! Nothing better. :smiley: I wonder if I could use it in some kind of boozy arctic roll recipe…

Sorry but pantry peppers link doesn’t work either!

Are you sure that’s the right picture for the Aubergine recipe? I ask because it shows a garlic bulb and cloves but no mention of garlic in recipe and the picture shows slices of aubergine but recipe says eight wedges per aubergine. :thinking:

It’s a stock photo from the original blog post. :slight_smile:

Will sort the peppers recipe now (thought I’d checked them all yesterday, sorry!)

Recipe #7 PANTRY PEPPERS
Serves 4 as a starter (one pepper each), 2 or two as a main course (two each)

• 450g jar long whole roasted or flame-grilled peppers in oil
• 2 thick slices premium black pudding, derinded and crumbled
• A pinch of smoked paprika to taste (sweet or hot, as you wish)
• 100ml paella or risotto rice (measure it in a glass jug)
• 200ml robust red wine
• 2-3 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
• A dash of good sherry vinegar
• 75ml dry sherry

For the coriander pesto:
• A handful of fresh coriander leaves, washed and dried
• A few mint leaves, ditto
• A handful of shelled salted pistachios or toasted pine nuts
• 1 clove garlic
• A pinch of whole salt
• 3-4 whole black peppercorns
• A squeeze of lemon juice
• Enough olive oil to make a thick, pesto-like emulsion

Put the garlic, salt and peppercorns in a pestle and mortar or blender and pound them to a paste. Add half the pistachios and pound again. Now add the coriander and mint, mint leaves and crush into the mixture. Add the lemon juice and finally, slowly, the oil until you have a green emulsion that resembles pesto. The brave may wish to use a bit of chilli-infused oil here, but spare a thought for the wine.

Next, cook the rice. Put it in a small saucepan and coat with a generous tablespoon of the coriander pesto. Add the spring onions and red wine and bring to the simmer, giving it the odd stir. Put a lid on the pan and simmer very gently for 20 minutes by which time the wine should have been absorbed. Fork through the grains and let it cool, completely if you are assembling this in advance. Add the black pudding and the smoked paprika and the rest of the pesto. Combine well and add the remaining pistachios, roughly chopped for crunch.

Drain the peppers of their oil, taking care to keep them whole. Scrape out any seeds that remain. Spoon the flavoured rice carefully into each one and lay in an ovenproof dish. Add the sherry vinegar, and the sherry, cover with foil and bake for about 25 minutes at a preheated 190C/Gas 6. They should be sizzling and piping hot.

Serve one pepper per person as a starter, two as a main course with crusty bread and a green salad.

Thanks Laura. Great recipes.

I’m definitely trying the chicken over the weekend. The kids better eat it or I’ll be eating it for a week :woman_facepalming:t3::rofl:! Great recipes @laura :+1:

Slightly off topic, perhaps, but isn’t it better to drink it? And why doesn’t TWS ever offer it as the first or pre-first wine at its lunches, etc.? Much more interesting than fizzies.

I made this from Delicious mag and it’s a nice and simple starter recipe using sherry. There is a typo in the ingredients list though, it should be 125ml.
https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/easy-pork-and-sherry-tagliatelle/
I used this sherry in the recipe, it’s really nice and walnutty.