01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Tax changes on alcohol

"The new system, due to start in 2023, will mean higher duty for stronger alcohol, the chancellor said.

The duty premium on sparkling wines will end and the duty on draught beer and cider served in pubs will be cut."

2 Likes

Interesting. Has anyone seen something explaining how to calculate it? I guess the moral is don’t pay duty on German Riesling until we understand how it works.

2 Likes

According to The Sun’s political editor it looks like 11% is the threshold for higher tax rates on still wine…

Saw this on Twitter, don’t know the source.

1 Like

So that sounds like the breakeven is around 11.5% and wines above or below that will be adjusted by roughly 23p per percentage point. Thanks for the references.

Edited to add: I’m not sure I necessarily think a tax based on alcohol volume is simpler - more logical perhaps but complicated to administer and harder to think about when making in bond purchases (admittedly a niche problem).

1 Like

Looks like it doesn’t come in until 2023 so plenty of time to do sums and consider what to do.

Buy more Donnhoff Kabinett, that’s the answer.

7 Likes

looks like immaterial.

Bailey’s with the Stilton from 2023 then.

1 Like

Seems complicated to administer. Are there the civil servants to check the level of alcohol in the wine matches what the label says?

1 Like

…and most still white wines too? Or is this change just planned for red wine?

I see that there are going to be changes in the way duty on alchoholic drinks is calculated. Stronger drinks are going to have duty increased. The media are stating that stronger red wine will have higher duty imposed on them. I dont know what this will mean in practice? As the changes are not going to take place until february next year there will be plenty of scope for stocking up on red wine before the increase. This picture was disributed by the treasury to show the changes in prices of certain drinks. I copied it from The Guardian Newspaper.

1 Like

No it is just an indicator that red wines generally have higher rates of alcohol, still you can save 3p a pint on beer ! which is exciting…

Posted upthread.

According to the Guardian it was distributed by the Treasury.

Does ‘sparkling wine’ include champagne, which is often 12%?

No examples given on the chart but there is a 12% Chapel Down.

Blimey ! Farage will chalk that up as a Brexit Bonus. Do you think the breweries will pass that on to the punters … or pocket it for the shareholders?

Or maybe it will be totally swallowed up by the general increase in costs for: logistics, CO2, labour, raw materials. The media are touting a 25 to 30p increase per pint in London, heading for £6.00.

4 Likes

Luckily now it will only be £5.97!

4 Likes

I struggle to understand a simplification that requires someone selling wine that was purchased from a supplier duty free to pay duty on 11%, 12%, 13% and 14% wines at different rates (it was the same for all those previously). I imagine there’s going to be a substantial reporting burden for customs and excise returns.

3 Likes

Heading for? In most of the pubs around me, it’s been £6 a pint (at least) for a while!!

1 Like

Some explanation here:

1 Like