01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Taffy's lamb shank recipe

recipe

@ChrisB

Before I start, this is a quick and easy way to make one

Braised Lamb Shank (My own recipe)

INGREDIENTS

• One Lamb Shank (not a Fore but a Leg/Rear one)
  • 1 Clove Garlic medium, peeled and cut lengthways into 6 long pointy strips
  • 2 Medium Carrots, cut in half lengthways peeled with the tops cut off and discarded
  • 3 peeled Shallots cut in half lengthways
  • 1 & a Half Knorr Lamb Stock Cube
  • 1 heaped teaspoon of Marigold Vegetable Stock powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried Rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon dried Thyme
  • 300 mls boiling Water
  • Salt
  • Black Pepper in a Mill
  • 1 Tablespoon of Butter
  • 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
  • 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil, any sort will do so long as it has not been flavoured.

Instructions

• Ovenproof dish that comfortably takes the Shank, not too big,
  • Sieve, a tea strainer will do but a bigger one with fine metal mesh better
  • Kitchen jug
  • Frying pan
  • Medium sized saucepan
  • Kitchen Cutting Board
  • A sharp small kitchen knife with a pointy end
  • A piece of Kitchen Foil Sized to cover the Oven Proof Dish with plenty to tuck in underneath

Put Oven on to 150 degrees Centigrade
Be careful of Sharp Knives or HOT anything. Safety is important.

Before you start, READ the Method Twice and make sure that you understand it.
Do not skip this part as you may well make an error,
I want you to have a terrific result!!

METHOD
  1. Boil the 300 mls of water and place in the jug.
  2. Finely slice up the lamb Stock cube and put into the jug that has the boiling water in it.
  3. Add the heaped teaspoon of Marigold Vegetable Stock Powder and stir until the Stock Cube and the Veg Powder have thoroughly dissolved.
  4. Place jug with contents to one side.
  5. In a Small (if you’ve got one) Frying Pan place the Butter, on a Medium Heat. The idea is to fry the Carrots and Shallots until they are golden, NOT burnt.
  6. If you burn them, start afresh as the burnt bits will impair the flavour of the dish. Should take about 5 minutes.
  7. Set the nicely coloured Carrots and Shallots to one side, by the jug is a good idea LOL!!
  8. in a Frying Pan that is big enough to take the Lamb Shank on its side, place the Vegetable Oil, Heat setting about 7 out of 10. Above medium but not really hot.
  9. Place the Lamb Shank in the hot Frying Pan that has the oil in it, and fry it as much as you can to get colour onto it, Start slowly, adjust the heat as you go and finally turn the Shank end down in the oil like a very small pyramid. Leave for a minute, check that you are not burning the meat until again you have good light brown/gold colour. Again about 5 minutes. Place the coloured Shank onto the Cutting Board.
  10. Settle down, you’ve done the “hard” bit, have a slurp of wine!
  11. Take the sharp knife and make a 2 centimetre deep incision into the fleshy part of the Shank. Take one of the pieces of Garlic, and insert it into said incision.
  12. Repeat for other slivers of Garlic, into incisions in other parts of the Shank. Do not forget to use the end of the Shank as this is where the job is easiest.
  13. Place the Shank into the Ovenproof Dish and lightly score the top of the Shank (2mm deep) and rub it all over with the teaspoon of Olive Oil. Then liberally grind Black Pepper all over the Shank. 10 grinds of a good sized grinder. NO SALT to be added at this stage. Then sprinkle the Thyme and Rosemary over the Shank. Place coloured Carrots and Shallots in the dish alongside the Shank.Pour the water with the Stock cubes/ Veg Powder into the dish, avoiding splashing over the Shank.
  14. Open oven door. Cover the dish with the foil, attempting to tuck underneath the dish and place in Oven, close door!! lol!
  15. Set timer for 2 and a half hours, no less.
  16. When the time is up CAREFULLY remove the very hot dish from the oven. placing it on the board or an insulating surface.
  17. Before removing the foil, be careful as steam will vent out, so cut the foil with a knife avoiding the steam.
  18. Remove hot foil, and enjoy the vision of a perfectly Braised Lamb Shank with accompanying vegetables. Yes, you did THAT!!
  19. Decant the braising liquid through a sieve (to remove the bits of Thyme and Rosemary), into the Medium Saucepan and reduce over a medium heat until you have a well flavoured jus. Only then adjust the seasoning using your Pepper Mill and a little salt. Note, be very careful with the salt, a very small pinch at a time. Always worth remembering that once you have too much salt, you have ruined your jus, you cannot retrieve the excess salt.
  20. Serve with buttery Mashed Potato and a self satisfied grin!! And say a Pauillac or a good Crozes or whatever you like.
  21. Bon Appetit!!

Apologies if anyone thinks that I am being pedantic with this recipe.
I do not know who might read it and what their cooking experience might be.
So better safe than not.

If I have made an error with the recipe then please post a correction.
I am not perfect, as I have demonstrated on numerous occasions.

Recipes for wine lovers - WIKI
The NFL thread

Just a thought, but might it be worth shifting this recipe to its own thread? Not because it’s not welcome here (I love lamb and welcome delicious recipes at all times), but there are probably a lot of people who might be interested in it, and there’s a very good chance that a number of them wouldn’t dream of popping their head in this thread!

Do we have a @Mentor on hand to assist?

Fabulous, thank you very much @Taffy-on-Tour. I await my delivery of the Exhibition Croze and look forward to it accompanying some lamb shanks!

I hope you enjoy the recipe!

I can’t see red wine on list of ingredients :smile:

I’ve cooked lamb shanks - with plenty of red wine - in the past. What a faff…

Nowdays this is my recipe, and indeed we had this night before last, for Sunday dinner.

MandS%20lamb%20shanks

Served with roast potatoes, roast parsnip, savoy cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower florets…
…and Chateau Batailley 2013 Pauillac, with a glass of Champagne as an aperitif.

Slow cooked marinated lamb shanks in a red wine, mint & lentil jus with honey roasted root vegetables. £10 for 2
https://www.marksandspencerfoodhall.co.uk/product/slow-cooked-lamb-shanks--0258fc11-3a2d-4f6e-bda4-fd87e1d61f17

@peterm

I happen to enjoy my time in the kitchen.
I am also happy roaming the aisles of M&S clutching my Sparks Card.
I find cooking is relaxation for me especially with a Podcast or Audiobook in the background.
The photograph of the M&S product appears to utilise the foreleg shanks rather than the more substantial and meatier rear leg shank that I prefer, described in the recipe.
And I am not a fan of red wine sauces.
Other than that, I think that we are in complete agreement.

Now you’re sounding like Keith Floyd:)

Our lamb shank recipe is very similar, but we do chuck in a glass of reasonable red.
I just wonder quite how correct and safety-conscious we have to be when discussing recipes. It does seem rather pedantic and O.T.T to warn people about sharp knives, heat and steam, Are you talking to children or adults? I would hope adults, as this is the Wine Society. I know you are being overtly careful, but I really don’t think the HSE are going to be after you for not mentioning that something you have cooked might actually be hot! The HSE is not unreasonable and you can’t be sued if some numbskull cuts themselves with a knife in their own kitchen whilst following your recipe merely because you failed to point out that knives are sharp.
Carry on the good work!

I have worked in the Oil Industry all my career.
I spent the earlier part of my time in laboratories.
Safety is everything.
I would rather err on the side of caution every time.
In my experience people have died performing a task that hundreds had before them.
Ok, the kitchen is different than an Oil Refinery or an Offshore Production Platform.
I have seen normal people being absolutely cretinous, like a scaffolder not wearing his safety harness whilst working 200 feet up on an offshore installation while working over the side. You could not make it up. Personnel working with nasty acids or alkalis without eye protection, even when a fume chamber was available. Or not wearing a hard hat when out on site.
The “Best One” was a senior Fire Brigade Officer, going outside the control room when we had a major hydrocarbon fire in progress with 20 fire engines in attendance. He thought it ok to light up his ciggie!! A colleague of mine knocked it out of his mouth and stamped it out, then marched the moron back into the control room and gave him the public upbraiding for the ages that he deserved!! It was so amusing, I almost wet myself but managed to keep a straight face.
So pedantic, guilty as charged.
I do not know who might wish to cook the dish, I did lots of cooking as a 10 year old and reasoned that a child might pick up a printed out copy and have a go. Unlikely, I hear you cry, improbable absolutely but not totally out of the bounds of possibility.
The recipe was written in order to take as many eventualities into consideration. as I could think of. I thought that if I did not point out possible dangers, I might be criticised for the omission.
We live in an increasingly litigious society and I did not want to run into potential problems.
My local authority deems it prudent to place warning signs on local cliffs warning walkers that “cliffs are dangerous!!” I think that the signs are idiotic but the Council must have taken advice before spending the money on the manufacture and installation.
You say “carry on the good work” but given comments, I think that I will hang up my WS cooks apron.
My defence is that I was just responding to a fellow members request, and I did it in a way that made me feel comfortable so that no one improbably might get hurt.
Please allow the thread to end here.

@Taffy-on-Tour, please do NOT hang up your cooks apron on this community! You and your recipes are VERY much liked and I for one would love to hear more recipes from you ! You clearly are a good cook and are responsible enough to warn of the dangers of sharp knives ! Please don’t let one persons opinion dissuade you :wink:.