01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Sully's Beef a la Minervois

This is my take on many versions of Southern French Beef daubes, the wine I use is St Eulalie Minervois, but I have used Bertrand Berge Origenes with equally good results…

I have tried many cuts of beef such as braising steak, beef skirts, and the cuts that supermarkets flog for roasting, typically lean topside and silverside.

My favourite is boned and rolled brisket (ask your butcher for some of the bones. Roast the bone on high for about 10 to 15 minutes, and put in the final casserole pot)
I get the butcher to roll my brisket as tight as possible, weight 1-5 to 1-75 kg. l then cut the roll into slices, making sure each slice has a good string binding.

For the daube…

Sliced pieces of rolled brisket
Cold pressed rapeseed oil
One red, one white onion thinly sliced
Garlic to your taste, peeled and crushed
Flour
1 tbsp capers (washed if in brine)
100g of black olives (quite often I put 200g)
400g tin of chopped toms
Dried skin of one satsuma
200g carrots cut as you wish
150g small mushrooms…I like brown
Bunch of flat leaf parsley
Take a slurp of wine

Marinade

One bottle of Minervois,
2 or 3 anchovy fillets
salt (care if your anchovies are coated in salt)
Freshly ground pepper
Bouquet garni, couple of bay leaves extra,
Sometimes I include a small stick of cinnamon.

Combine all the marinade ingredients in the casserole, making sure the sliced brisket is covered…add a little water or beef stock if required. Turn the brisket 2 or 3 times. I find that if I leave an open bottle of wine near the fridge door, it is a fool proof reminder to turn the meat. A BIB is a little overdoing it, because you are bound to forget how many times you have turned the meat.

Take a slurp of wine

Next day

Remove the brisket from the marinade and dry on kitchen roll
Heat a couple of tbsp oil in a large fry pan and add onion and garlic ti they are pale gold, and sprinkle the mix with flour, stir well to combine.
Add sieved marinade slowly, stirring constantly. When all the liquid has been used, add capers, olives ,tomatoes and satsuma peel and simmer gently for a few minutes.

Set oven to Gas 1 or 140 cent

Heat the remaining oil in frying pan, quite high. Dust the slices of beef with flour and brown both sides.
Transfer the meat to the casserole and ladle some of the marinade into the pan to mop up all the meat stuck to base and side.

I use a cast aluminium casserole , so I bring the daube up to a simmer, put on the tight fitting lid and place in the middle of the oven.
After 2 hours take out casserole and add carrot and mushrooms, then cook for a further hour.
When time is up take out brisket and place on serving plate, check the liquid for seasoning and stir in chopped parsley.

Voila unless you can see any glaring errors…sully

Oh, do be careful with the slurps :wine_glass::wine_glass::wine_glass::wine_glass::wine_glass::field_hockey:

Recipes for wine lovers - WIKI

Excellent, Look forward to trying it out. Thanks

Excellent, Look forward to reading the rest of the recipe…

@leah probably work well in one of your slow cookers !!!