01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Suggestions for what to eat with a fabulous Christmas present

A very kind son-in-law has given me a wonderful bottle, it is Mouton Rothschild 2002, the label illustration by Ilva Kabakov. Never previously having owned a fairly mature 1st growth I am at a bit of a loss as to know for the best. Please should this wine now be drunk or kept for a few more years, and when it is to be drunk what would be the ideal food match? Advice, please. With many thanks.

10 Likes

Mouton Rothschild has always had great longevity but 2002 could be drunk now or easily stay next 5 years. I would decant for an hour or two before drinking.
As for food, with really top wines go for simple foods. In this case roast lamb or grilled steak or venison casserole. Complex dishes have a tendency to be difficult to have a really good wine match because there is always a risk of one ingredient clashing.

11 Likes

Andrew1990,
Thank you very much for your advice.
Hopefully, you will drink some wonderful wines in 2022 - that is as well as tomorrow evening!

3 Likes

Personally I would drink it now, preferably with the giver and definitely consume with cheese (as indeed would the French)

Enjoy, lucky thing!

2 Likes

I’d have a different opinion, which is what a bulletin board is all about, in that I’d be wary of cheese - wrong cheese might pair badly. Softer cheeses in particular might cause problems, especially high-end cheeses (to match the high-end wine).

Lamb would be a great choice, though, and same for steak.

1 Like

Seconded with bells on. :smiley:

The French (what, all of them? Really? :wink: ) might eat well-aged Grand Cru Burgundy with Epoisses (I have my doubts people do this more than once), but it’d be an undoable act if you only had one bottle, and not a cellar full, to rectify your mistake.

Lamb would make a bottle of death-by-middling-claret* seem like a world beater, so in all probability it should in theory raise a bottle like this to the heights it aspires to. Compliment not compete.

*I forget who coined this phrase on here, but you know who you are and it’s brilliant.

Thirded - lamb.

But also take @Andrew1990’s comment on board about keeping the food simple. It is not the time to experiment with exotic spices - let the wine shine. In fact , I think that is more important than precisely which meat you should chose.

I too would be wary of cheese as, with a few very specific exceptions, I have never had much success with wine and cheese. But then I must admit I have never tried a top Claret with cheese. If you do, presumably it should be a flavoursome hard cheese, @AnaGramWords?

Never had a problem eating cheese with GCC Bordeaux. We tend to eat it with very simple unflavoured crackers and not bread. The French (well the ones I come into contact with across a dining table) always seem to use simple-flavoured cheese, hard or soft, to accompany their best wine.

1 Like