01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Spring fine wine collection

I feel slightly underwhelmed by this list. There is nearly always something to drool over and covet but not so much this time. I know they tend to have the big guns on the Christmas list but still. No biggie, maybe I’m missing the hidden treasures.

2 Likes

I thought the same, but had wondered if I was just being grumpy!

1 Like

I really like the list. I do think it’s stretching the point to call it a ‘fine wine collection’ so perhaps the marketing is at fault there – but take away the title and, for me, there’s lots of interest in the £15-20 bracket, especially the Spanish reds.

5 Likes

Burgundy en primeur has nuked my wine budget so could do with a lack of temptation. Au Bon Climat and the Kooyong + Mac Forbes mixed cases look good though will probably grab one of each.

3 Likes

I know what you mean, it’s not a truly stellar line-up, but tbh it’s a bit of a relief, since I shouldn’t be ordering any wine this month and the less to tempt me, the better.

Having said that I really fancy a few of the Spanish wines, a couple of them definitely going into my next mixed order. Despite telling myself I really shouldn’t, I also ordered one of the ABC mixed cases - I’ve not tried any wine from that estate before and with Jim Clenenden’s passing, future opportunities will be limited. They started selling quite quickly since a recent email, which caused me to stop prevaricating.

That’s true, but if you really didn’t want to buy any you could equally convince yourself there’s not much point starting to acquire a taste for his wines now as they will soon disappear!

1 Like

This is true for a lot of us, so maybe it’s just TWS being kind by not putting too much in after all the recent en primeur offers.

Trust everyone’s put something by for Chateau d’Yquem 2019 later this month😉

5 Likes

I’ve only just found my paper copy of the list (can’t imagine why MrsB had hidden it) and noticed one of the wines on the front cover is familiar.

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/cote-roannaise-oudan-domaine-serol-2019

We visited Domaine Serol last year and picked up a couple of bottles of this. Was delicious, TWS description pretty accurate, just hope I have one left. Considering we paid €13 with a multi-buy discount, £14.95 is pretty good value as well.

Definitely worth a visit if you’re in the area.

24 Likes

Your kids look to be coping with being dragged round vineyards pretty well - as mine did. I will be very impressed if you can pull off the same trick in a few years!!!

3 Likes

Yes, we’d been for a nice lunch, promised them a trip to a little water park and seen a sign for pig milk. That bought a good 40-50 minutes of patience.

2 Likes

Pig milk? Better or worse than the Domaine Serol “Turbulent”?

1 Like

Can’t be sure as we didn’t stop. I enjoyed the Turbullent though. The sign was in English, which says a lot.

4 Likes

Got to say the Mac Forbes and Kooyong wines have got me excited - think I’ll probably try one of Mac’s village pinots and one of the Kooyong Chardonnays - I think Freddy’s notes always sell a wine for me - ruby red pinots and smoky salty Chardonnays, yes please.

1 Like