01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Spot the Difference

I was researching White Rioja for my basket after tasting some last weekend at a local hostelry. I came across exactly the same description for both the Lopez de Haro and the Society’s own label. Is this just laziness from the content writer or is it the same wine in different sheep’s clothing.

Lopez de Haro Blanco Rioja 201

A classically styled white Rioja made from the region’s classic white grapes (mostly viura with some malvasia), with a proportion aged in barrel. It is deep gold in colour with aromas that are spicy, oxidative and nutty, rather than fruity

The Society’s White Rioja 2018

A classically styled white Rioja made from this famed Spanish region’s classic white grapes (mostly viura with some malvasia), with a proportion aged in barrel. It is deep gold in colour with aromas that are spicy, oxidative and nutty, rather than fruity.

Both from Bodega Clasica… my money is on the same wine.

Ah. I never thought to check the PDF notes. Thanks. I’ll probably order the slighter less expensive version.

Hmm. If it is the same wine but the Society Own label is £1.20 more expensive that would be a little disappointing. Does that mean the Lopez also warranted a IWC Silver but was not entered? Has anyone tasted these together?