01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Spicy Arrabbiata Sauce (One way to use up those tomatoes this autumn)

recipe

I came back from Ireland with an abundance of very ripe large tomatoes and baby tomatoes from my friends greenhouse. I decided to make an Arrabiata so they didn’t go to waste and have frozen in portion sizes. The recipe in case anyone is interested is:

Ingredients
Tomatoes (as many or little as you like)
I used 6-7 large and equivalent of 4 punnets of baby tomatoes, chopped
2 Red onions sliced
half a bunch of fresh basil torn up
5-6 cloves of garlic crushed
2 large hot red chillis chopped
3 glugs of good quality olive oil
black pepper

Method
Throw everything in a slow cooker and cook on low for approx. 4-5 hours. (You may also use a saucepan and cook on low with the cover on.)

When cooked, place everything in a ninja/nutribullet style blender with the remaining half bunch of fresh basil and blitz until smooth.

This is particularly spicy so you can adjust the garlic and chilli to your taste.

Recipes for wine lovers - WIKI

OOH! :heart_eyes: I love the sound of this, and another great use for our slow cooker! How many portions did the above make, roughly?

Love the sound of this, thanks

Our freezer is full to bursting with cherry tomato sauce so this’ll mix things up nicely

Oooh I can do a WHOLE recipe thread on slow cooker recipes , I have 3 :woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::rofl:

This sound lush! Also yes to 6 cloves of garlic, I can’t stand recipes that only suggest 1-2 cloves and my default is always at least double!

Oh yes, you can never have too much garlic!

Thanks for the recipe. My autumnal batch of cherry tomatoes being well used. I have a few jars of Italian pepperoncino so a whole jar has gone in… expecting it to be well fiery :yum:

Three recipes or three slow cookers !! :nerd_face::nerd_face:

I assume you don’t come into face to face situations with customers :flushed::nerd_face:

Oh yes you can !!!:nerd_face::innocent:

Definitely going to give this a try.
Do you leave the seeds in the chillis?

Always @Stephenw :wink:! The spicier the better .

Lovely recipe. Its been a great year for tomatoes - even up here in (sometimes) sunny Yorkshire.

SO… what’s the wine Leah ? assuming served with plain pasta - to hero the tomatoes. Oh, and its officially autumn so that kinda makes a rose awkward.

I also like to use the sauce on oven baked hake, chuck a few black olives & capers on top.

Certainly leave the seeds in - otherwise what’s the point !

I’d suggest a southern Italian white grape variety like Grillo, Fiano or Falanghina

Fiano de Avellino even :wink:! Poured over Hake with fresh olives sounds fantastic @lapin_rouge​:blush:

Or Planeta Cometa which I was first introduced to on a Savoy sommelier’s recommendation (a great recommendation)

Now that’s a fiano I haven’t tried. I’ve had a bottle of their Santa Cecilia and I have a bottle of the nerello mascalese which was accidentally left in my Dads cellar last Christmas! He is under strict instructions to only open when I’m there :rofl:.

TWS have stocked before at a competitive price. We tasted a few wines at their Etna vineyard in the summer which was a lovely experience. The Frappato from their Vittoria vineyard was delightful.