01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Special Cases

During a recent online Wine Society chat with @Sarah, I broached the subject of whether The Wine Society could consider regularly offering a special case of the various Au Bon Climat Pinot Noirs or similar from other winemakers. A year or two ago, there was a German Pinot Noir case, containing one wine, in particular, that I wouldn’t ordinarily have bought (due to price) but did. It sold out quickly, as I recall, so there does appear to be some appeal.

From my perspective, I would be primarily interested in wines of the same grape variety, rather than mixed, especially mixed red/white cases. I would be interested in what others think and what special cases would you like to see? If anybody from The Wine Society sees this, it would be helpful to know what your research and experience shows and whether you have plans to explore this option, in the future. I do appreciate that you do occasionally offer such cases but they are fairly rare.

5 Likes

I know there’d be lots of us putting our wallets/ purses to the test on a mixed case of Once and Future.
ABC chardonnay too for me.

1 Like

Our local Wine Society likes to do vertical tastings where possible. I’d personally like to see more of those being offered in sixes.

10 Likes

Yes a case of the same grape variety, perhaps a mix of old/new world would be interesting.

3 Likes

I’d buy a case of ABC and a mixed high quality varietal case :clinking_glasses::+1:

2 Likes

Do I remember you making this suggestion for Port cases?

I think it’s a great idea.

2 Likes

Seconded for ABC Pinot, got a couple of bottles of the Santa Maria Valley pinot last Autumn, absolute nectar and straight onto the ‘watchlist’ (before anyone asks, not some hitherto unknown functionality of the website, just the wines I periodically do a search for to see if any are in stock!) - so yeah, a mixed case would be straight into the basket :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A plea to TWS … Please, please don’t mix young drinking wines with ones that need drinking soon. For those of us who don’t own large, old houses with cellars, they create real problems. Eg I have one I’m delighted to own that’s in storage - and I’m tremendously grateful to have it - but it mixes a young drinking dolcetto with a Barolo that needs a decade. Somehow I’ll have to find somewhere to keep the Barolo for 10 years.

5 Likes

@GuidoD you might want to edit that sentence. I understood what you meant but… :wink:

1 Like