01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Spätzle recipe

Yesterday, at the #twstaste , the subject of Spätzle came up (but of course!), and I said I’d be happy to post a recipe… so this is for you @JD1892 and @Rifka – and for anyone who likes German food, really!

The recipe below is taken from a book I got as a wedding present 20 years ago, from the lovely Herr and Frau Knoblauch (great foodie surname!).

This is the only recipe I ever used, so maybe someone out there got an alternative one? Feel free to post it!

You will need a Spätzle board and cutter like these ones:

But don’t worry if you don’t have it – just use a potato ricer!

Spätzle

Makes 4 main portion or 8 side portions

1 lb. wheat flour
4 eggs
1tsp. salt
One third to ½ cup of water, depending on flour
1tsp. oil
Boiling water for tossing

Method:

In a mixing bowl mix the flour, eggs and salt
Add water little by little and keep stirring until smooth
Beat the dough with a wooden spoon (or a mixer) until nothing remains on the spoon when holding it up
Allow the dough to rest for a short time, then work it again thoroughly
Moisten a Spätzle board with water, spread a little of the dough on it and quickly scrap thin strips of the dough, using the Spätzle cutter, into the boiling water
The Spätzle is ready when it floats to the surface
Tip: Between scraping, dip the board and cutter into the water, as it helps the next lot of dough not to stick to the board
Drain and place in a pre-heated plate, and eat immediately

If you don’t have a board – just use a potato ricer. This makes the whole process much easier, but remember to dip it in the boiling water to prevent remaining dough from sticking.

To my mind, the nicest thing to eat with Spätzle is a sauce made from some shallots, mushrooms and cream (I also add dill or tarragon… not strictly ‘traditional’). Some sourkraut on the side is a must, and – if you’re having it as a side dish, a nice big schnitzel is traditional around Bodensee/Konstanz.

When in Germany I always have it with Riesling, but on a recent visit my friend served it with a Roter Veltliner, so a Grüner Veltliner should work just as well. If you’re not having sourkraut, but sticking with the creamy or cheese based sauce, then a Chardonnay and/or Chenin Blanc should work well too!

Enjoy! :clinking_glasses::grinning:

Weekend drinking thread [22-24 February 2019]

Thanks for this, absolutely love spatzle. When making it usually make do with a colander, never tried the traditional board method. I’ll check my recipe when I get home, but don’t think it will differ much.

My preferred way to eat them is just briefly fried off in butter, perhaps not the most conventional, but they make a great steak accompaniment.

Thanks so much, Inbar!

Well I was a little scared about giving this recipe a go myself (delicious though it sounds!), but I’ve tried Hugo’s cooking before so… invites self round to Hugo’s

I have had this thing on my Amazon wish list for ages… I know it is expensive, but a proper heavy duty potato ricer and spaetzle press… this recipe may just push me to press buy.

You can also use a grater to make it… one with large holes (not the box ones though).

Oh yes! This is definitely another great way to have it! I would also add a little bit of grated cheese on top… Delicious! :+1::+1:

Yum! Thank you for this. Lovely to get the story behind your recipe as well.

Definitely another vote for keeping them simple, with butter. We eat them with any form of stew - they’re perfect for mopping up sauce, and that’s how they’re served in Alsace. In fact, here are some I was served with wild boar at lunchtime today :slight_smile:

We have a spaetzle mill, which we picked up in a supermarket in France. A bit like a colander, with a thing that you turn to push the mixture through the holes. Makes it a whole lot easier - though you need to do them in small enough batches, as the hot steam rising from the boiling water can start to cook the mixture if held over the water for too long, and it blocks the holes.

Are Herr and Frau Knoblauch their real names???

Wowzers!! This looks fantastic! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: Alsace, here I come! (in April, actually! :grinning:)

Oh, yes! Erich and Brigite… Lovely people, who really got me into German (Swabian) food… Crazy surname, for sure!

That is indeed a great surname! Where are you going in Alsace? Late enough in April, and you should hit asparagus season. Though to keep it on topic, asparagus and spaetzles is one food pairing I’ve not thought of trying.

We’re going for a week, around my birthday (mid-April) which will also cover Easter. Staying in both Strasbourg and Colmar with a couple wine-related visits to Riquewihr and Ribeauvillé. That’s the plan, at least! :blush:

Lots to see there. You should definitely consider going to Eguisheim for a wine visit. It’s a lovely village, with a high concentration of great vignerons and eateries. Close to Colmar, too.

It’s definitely on my mind. I’ve been there with my German friends years ago, but my other half never been. Hoping to pack in as much as possible, but a week seems really short… :thinking:

This is really appreciated @Inbar and very much looking forward to having a go at this. Will report back in due course. I’ve struggled with German wines but will try and source something appropriate to go with the spätzle. :grinning:

The SA Riesling we had at the virtual tasting worked really well with it. But if German wines don’t float your boat, Alsatian Rieslings work too, or even a fruity SA Chenin. :+1:

I’d add that they’re very versatile, so just think about matching your wine with what you’re serving them with, and you won’t go wrong. It’s a bit like matching wine with pasta - it all depends on the sauce.

Ah, Chenin might be the answer. I’ve also got Coralillo Chilean Riesling and Gewürztraminer from TWS lurking in the fridge. Sounds like a good excuse for another tasting to see what I’ll drink with the spätzle !! Cheers😆