01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Southwest France Road Trip

Hi,

I am planning a Southwest France roadtrip over Easter weekend with my fiancee. As part of the trip, in addition to a few cities we would like to also visit some wineries. We arrive in Toulouse and have 3.5 days with a car.

I have already visited the Languedoc wine region, so will skip this. Also thinking of skipping Bordeaux and saving it for another city break as it’s relatively easy to visit from London.

The two wine regions that draw me are: Bergerac and Madirian.
The cities we are considering include: Bergerac , Biarritz and even San Sebastian but are open to other small gems along the way?

Also looking for recommendations for decent wine B&B’s along the way.

Thanks!

French road trip. Anyone have any suggestions?

I would highly recommend San Sebastian!! It is a food mecca !! I can’t recommend any specific wine bars as when I was there I became a GIN convert. The tapas bars are amazing. If you are going across the border and in that direction stop off in St. Jean de Luz, great little place full of quirky alleyways and little restaurants.

In San Sebastian go to Ganbara and reserve for the restaurant downstairs. It has one of the best wine list in Europe in terms of price. The bar is also great.

If budget is no issue go to Rekondo, which is said to have one of the best cellars in the world, but as you can imagine it is not cheap. I had a 63 Tondonia red there and it still remains one of the greatest wines I have ever drunk.

Bar Nestor has a more humble wine list but the food is exceptional.

I dont think you will ski in Bordeaux at Easter :wink:

I’ll go with Ganbara, we didn’t have a lot of time in San Sebastian but Ganbara was recommended and is fantastic, I am sure the others that Juan has recommended are equally good.
http://www.ganbarajatetxea.com/presentation

Sticking to SW France, do you have a reason for not going to Cahors? Good wine, and welcoming cellars. If you prefer mountains, some of the Irouleguy are interesting, and the scenery is better, with some good small hotels, if you haven’t already booked.

I was also going to recommend Cahors and the Lot Valley. Puy l’Eveque is gorgeous, and surrounded by wineries. Lots of good food. Scenery is pleasant.

I can recommend the Gers region of Gascony, about an hour away from Toulouse, which is en route to Madiran. Chateau Chiroulet near Condom is a small winery worth a visit. They have a tasting room and are very welcoming. The wine is Bordeaux style red and fresh gascon whites in various forms.

Thanks. Any good wine B&B’s to recommend in that region?

Check out Domaine Grand Mayne in Duras, about 20 minutes from Bergerac which has a one bedroom gite…vineyard, tasting room and Duras town centre about 10 minutes the other way.
Surrounded by lovely Dordogne villages…

Thanks. Just returning from fantastic trip with following highlights:

To stay:

Château Les Farcies du Pech, Les Farcies Nord, 24100 Bergerac, France - amazing B&B and the vineyard, beautiful location, great hosts Serge and fantastic wine (Penchant) at a good price

Château de Maumusson, CHATEAU DE MAUMUSSON, 32400 Maumusson-Laguian, France - not a wine hotel per say but beautiful location hosts surrounded by vineyards.

Highlight wineries:

Mas del Périé - Fabien Jouves, Le bourg, 46090 Trespoux-Rassiels, France. Some great Malbecs wine maker that does not hesitate to experiment.

Clos Triguedina, Lieu-dit “Les poujols”, 46700 Vire-sur-Lot, France - very good of course.

vignoble des verdots, Vignoble des Verdots, 24560 Conne-de-Labarde, France. Lovely montbazilliac, great value

Château d’Aydie - Vignobles Famille Laplace, 64330 Aydie, France. This was highlight in terms of quality of wines, fantastic some offered by the society.

Domaine Berthoumieu, Dutour, 32400 Viella, France - lovely traditional winery now run by 2 sisters from the region.

Lots of fantastic restaurants esp. in Bergerac area please let me know if you need recommendations!

Thanks,
George